WITH the National Government restricting visits in cemeteries nationwide, Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma encouraged the faithful to go to church during All Souls’ and All Saints’ Days on Nov. 1 and 2, 2020 to offer mass intentions for their departed loved ones.
But while he calls for Catholics to go to church on Nov. 1 and 2, Palma reminded them to follow health and safety protocol being imposed in all parishes.
But as the public is not allowed in cemeteries from Oct. 29 to Nov. 4, priests are allowed to visit them on behalf of their parishioners.
The priests can celebrate mass in cemeteries and bless the tombs of the deceased, Palma said.
He added: “I think that is enough for the people. We could have live streaming if they want it.”
Palma also encouraged the faithful to go to their parishes to offer mass intentions on All Souls’ and All Saints’ Days.
If not, the people can visit their departed loved ones before and after the closing dates.
Palma said they still have to follow health protocol and an important point is to have security on the health of the faithful.
Earlier in September, the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) issued guidelines for the temporary closure of all private and public columbariums from Oct. 29 to Nov. 4 as a way to prevent further spread of infection.
In response to the IATF’s resolution, some local government units in Cebu have issued orders of their own policies concerning what happens during the “undas” holidays. (KFD)