Qantas delays A380 deliveries, slashes $410 mn

Embattled carrier Qantas said Friday it will delay the delivery of two A380 superjumbos as part of a further Aus$400 million (US$410 million) in spending cuts as it works to turn its business around.

The Australian airline had already announced Aus$500 million in cuts in February, which included job losses for cabin crew and pilots as well as in catering, engineering and ground operations.

Qantas has also been reviewing its maintenance operations to identify how to keep costs down, which could see more jobs go.

Chief executive Alan Joyce said the latest savings would come from delaying the delivery of two Airbus A380s.

Qantas was to receive two of the superjumbos in early 2013, but will now get them in the 2016/17 financial year. Another six A380s will be delivered to Qantas from 2018/19.

The changes will cut Qantas's capital expenditure by Aus$400 million in 2012/13 to Aus$1.9 billion.

Joyce said the decision was consistent with the group's commitment to financial discipline.

"Our priorities remain to build on our strong domestic business, enhance Qantas Frequent Flyer, turn around Qantas International and grow Jetstar in Asia," he said.

Joyce added that the group's balanced portfolio left it well-placed amid ongoing high fuel prices and the changing global economy, while taking advantage of growth opportunities in Australia, Asia and elsewhere.

"We are acting decisively now to position ourselves for strong, sustainable growth over the long term," he said.

The latest cuts come after the carrier posted an 83 percent slump in first-half net profit in the six months to December to Aus$42 million.

High fuel costs played a part, as did Joyce pulling all Qantas planes out of the skies for 48 hours last October as part of a row with staff over plans to shift the focus of its ailing international arm to Asia.

The airline said Friday progress continued on shaking up its international operation with benefits of Aus$280-$365 million to be realised across financial years 2012-14, from cost savings and halting loss-making routes.

At the same time, it announced a significant boost to domestic flights in an effort to combat Virgin Australia's assault on its business flyers.

"This will ensure that the group retains a profit-maximising 65 percent domestic market share while delivering the best customer experience in the market," said Joyce.

The changes will see extra peak-hour services between Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane while Qantas's budget offshoot, Jetstar, will raise capacity in its key leisure markets.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • EU threatens Thailand with seafood ban over illegal fishing
    EU threatens Thailand with seafood ban over illegal fishing

    BRUSSELS (AP) — The European Union has given Thailand six months to drastically increase its crackdown on illegal and unregulated fishing or face an EU seafood import ban, but has lifted the threat of similar action from South Korea and the Philippines. …

  • Pinoy team wins global disaster preparedness competition

    The Philippines was one of the big winners at the 2015 Global Innovation Competition last week for a cloud-based information system for disaster. The project, called "Balangay," is the brainchild of cousins Frei Sangil and Paolo Sangil. …

  • How Asia uses Bitcoin in one color-coded map
    How Asia uses Bitcoin in one color-coded map

    Bitcoin is a global phenomenon, but not everyone around the world uses it in the same way. Here in Asia, the way a person from the Philippines uses bitcoin is probably very different from how it’s used in Thailand, and both are very different from the typical user in Taiwan. Despite bitcoin being hailed as …

  • Pacmania sweeps Philippines ahead of Mayweather clash
    Pacmania sweeps Philippines ahead of Mayweather clash

    Manny Pacquiao's face is on shirts, dolls and postage stamps, his life story is playing in movie houses and millions are getting ready to party as the Philippine boxing hero's "fight of the century" nears. Pacmania is sweeping the Southeast Asian nation of 100 million people ahead of the May 2 Las Vegas bout against unbeaten Floyd Mayweather to decide who is the best boxer of their generation. Of course, it's the fight of the century," Manila film producer Lucky Blanco told AFP. …

  • Manila 'cute little submissive' of US: China media
    Manila 'cute little submissive' of US: China media

    The Philippines is nothing more than the "cute little submissive" of the United States, a Chinese tabloid with close ties to the ruling Communist Party said on Tuesday, criticising Manila for military exercises with Washington. The English-language editorial came a day after the Philippines launched giant 10-day war games with the US and Australia, partly aimed as a warning shot to Beijing amid competing claims in the South China Sea, home to vital shipping routes. "Of all the countries …

  • Philippines seeks more military aid from US to counter China
    Philippines seeks more military aid from US to counter China

    The Philippines said Tuesday it would soon ask the United States for more military equipment and training to build its defences, as it faces Chinese "aggressiveness" in disputed waters. As hundreds of Filipino and American Marines simulated an amphibious assault to reclaim territory from invaders during annual war games, military chief General Gregorio Catapang told AFP he was drafting a "wish list" for US aid. Catapang said the Philippines would ask for "equipment and training", when Foreign …

  • Philippines accuses China of turning water cannon on its fishing boats

    Filipino activists denounced China's coast guard on Tuesday for turning water cannon on Philippine fishing boats in disputed waters, near where hundreds of Filipino and American Marines landed on a beach in a mock assault.     The presidential palace in Manila said China's coast guard used water cannon on Monday to drive away a group of Filipino fishermen at Scarborough Shoal, damaging some of their wooden boats. Chinese ships rammed a fishing boat in the area a few months back. China in …

  • Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post
    Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post

    After nearly a year, President Aquino finally made good his promise to a long-time ally – former Cavite governor and congressman Erineo Maliksi – to head the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO), replacing Margarita Juico who resigned in May 2014. Maliksi must be officially elected by the PCSO board members as their chairman. Prior to his appointment to the PCSO, Maliksi faced graft charges before the Sandiganbayan in connection with the alleged illegal purchase of P2.5 million worth …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options