QPR deny Hughes 'sacked' reports

English Premier League strugglers Queens Park Rangers insisted late Monday that Mark Hughes remained their manager after a day of Twitter rumours suggesting the Welshman had been sacked.

"Rumours suggesting Mark Hughes has been sacked as QPR manager tonight (Monday) are not true," Ian J Taylor, the west London club's head of media and communications tweeted.

Saturday's 3-1 defeat at home to fellow relegation candidates Southampton left bottom-of-the-table QPR winless in the Premier League this season and five points adrift of 17th placed Reading.

Hughes met with QPR chief executive Philip Beard -- the man Rangers chairman Tony Fernandes sent to fire previous manager Neil Warnock - at the club's training ground on Monday.

Malaysian businessman Fernandes, the man behind budget airline AirAsia and the Caterham Formula One team, gave Hughes plenty of funds to spend on new signings in pre-season with 11 players, some from Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Manchester United and Chelsea, arriving at Loftus Road.

They were all expected to help guide QPR to at least a mid-table finish, something Hughes was insisting Friday remained an attainable goal.

But the defeat by Southampon extended QPR's winless run to 12 games.

QPR's upcoming opponents include Sunderland, Aston Villa and Wigan and former Rangers striker Rodney Marsh said Fernandes, who has been staunch in his support of Hughes for most of the season, should give the Welshman four more games in which to prove his worth as a manager.

"I would say 'We are in desperate trouble. If we don't improve our league position in four games, I am going to have to make a change."'

Even Fernandes appeared to be wavering in his backing of former Wales striker Hughes, whose distinguished playing career saw him appear for Manchester United and Chelsea, as well as European giants Barcelona and Bayern Munich, after Saturday's loss.

"I feel gutted," Fernandes told his Twitter followers. "I have put my heart and soul into this with my other shareholders. And done all we can to give support to players and all management.

"I can only apologise to the QPR fans. we keep fighting.

"Let me tell you Fans come first. Everyone including me let the fans down. Many of us need a hard look at themselves. QPR has amazing fans. They deserve better," he added.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US missile cruiser docks at Subic
    US missile cruiser docks at Subic

    A US Navy missile cruiser has dropped anchor in Subic Bay as part of “routine port call,” amid rising tension in the West Philippine Sea stirred by China’s island building activities and other threatening moves by its forces. The arrival of the Ticonderoga-class missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG-67) at the Subic Bay Freeport in Olongapo City yesterday was “just a routine port visit for ship replenishment and routine maintenance of shipboard system,” said Philippine Navy Public Affairs Office …

  • Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño
    Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño

    The agriculture and power sectors, as well as the general public should brace for a prolonged El Niño phenomenon that could further reduce water supply for electricity and irrigation, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. Flaviana Hilario, acting deputy administrator for research and development of PAGASA, said the El Niño condition is expected to intensify from weak to moderate by August this year. Anthony Lucero, …

  • China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row
    China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row

    The US should help “cool down” the Philippines and realize that its meddling in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) dispute would only stir tensions, a Chinese newspaper reported. “Washington should know its meddling in the South China Sea has been destabilizing the region. The US has vowed not to take sides in the territorial dispute, which involves China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. …

  • No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests
    No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests

    K to 12 is the fruit of years of comprehensive consultations involving different sectors in education,” Aquino said during the launching of the program at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City. Organized by the Department of Education (DepEd), the launch was attended by teachers, students and representatives from different stakeholders supportive of the K to 12 program. It was held two years after the signing of Republic Act 10533, or the Enhanced Basic Education …

  • MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t
    MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t

    The Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) maintained its bid for completion of the tripartite review of the implementation of the peace agreement with the Philippine government in 1996. The MNLF’s desire to put consensual closure to the tripartite effort was relayed by its leaders to Sayed El-Masry, the special envoy of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), during the annual foreign ministers conference in Kuwait last Thursday. The MNLF peace agreement with the government in Sept. 2, …

  • Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe
    Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe

    President Aquino is expected to raise the West Philippine Sea dispute during his meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Japan next week. Aquino will leave for Tokyo on June 2 for a state visit until June 5. The President’s visit would boost relations between the two countries on all aspects including defense and security, according to Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary for Asian and Pacific Affairs Minda Cruz. …

  • CHED releases wrong data on tuition hike
    CHED releases wrong data on tuition hike

    The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) appears to have released erroneous data on the allowed tuition and other fee increases in Metro Manila for the incoming academic year. On the list of the 51 approved higher education institutions (HEI) allowed to impose hikes, CHED pegged the average increase in tuition at P32.34 per unit and the average increase in other fees at P34.79. However, a Philippine STAR re-computation showed that the actual average approved tuition increases in Metro …

  • Leni Robredo may run for senator
    Leni Robredo may run for senator

    The widow of the late Interior Secretary Jesse Robredo admitted that running for higher office in 2016 had crossed her mind. Camarines Sur Third District Rep. Leni Robredo said she is focused on her re-election, but there is always the possibility that she would seek higher office. “There is always that possibility… because the filing (of certificate of candidacy) is in October yet,” Robredo said in an interview after her speech during the 23rd Girl Scouts of the Philippines Council …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options