Queen did Olympic sketch 'in one take'

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II pulled off her surprise acting role in the Olympics opening ceremony "in one take", a BBC official said Saturday.

The 86-year-old monarch was shown in a sequence pre-filmed by the BBC in which James Bond actor Daniel Craig arrived at Buckingham Palace in a taxi to escort the queen by helicopter to the ceremony.

A real helicopter then appeared over the Olympic Stadium during Friday's spectacular and parachutists playing Bond and the queen jumped out, just before the real monarch entered the stadium, wearing the same outfit.

The sequence was one of the show's highlights and was noteworthy because the queen has never acted on film before.

Nicholas Brown, the BBC's director of drama production, said the sovereign gave a flawless performance.

"She got it in one take," the Daily Telegraph newspaper quoted him as saying."That's what she does, and she does it very well. She is a professional."

"It was extraordinary to have the two (the queen and Craig) together with the corgis.

"The palace was terrific about the shoot and we were delighted and honoured that the queen was involved."

Queen Elizabeth, who last month celebrated her diamond jubilee marking her 60 years on the throne, was approached in 2011 to ask if she would participate.

The sequences were filmed by Oscar winner Danny Boyle, the ceremony's director, in March and April this year.

A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman said the queen was "very happy" to take part in the film and "immensely enjoyed" the experience.

Her majesty was "delighted to be asked to be involved in something so exceptional", she said.

The four-and-a-half minute clip even starred three of the queen's own corgi dogs: Monty, Holly, and Willow.

Jackie Brock-Doyle, communications chief for the London Games organisers, said chief organiser Sebastian Coe had asked the queen to appear in the film.

"Not much persuading" was required to convince her, she said.

"I think she really liked the whole concept that Danny (Boyle) had put together," she said.

The queen, as Britain's head of state, officially opened the Games during the ceremony.

She was back at the Olympic Park on Saturday, visiting the viewing tower, the Aquatics Centre, the Athletes' Village and its canteen.

The queen entering the helicopter was played by "Miss Marple" actress Julia McKenzie, while the monarch jumping from the chopper was played by professional stuntman Gary Connery.

The show-stopping sequence was kept a closely-guarded secret.

The Sun newspaper ran a story largely revealing the involvement of the queen and Craig on April 1 -- which led many to believe it was an April Fool's Day joke.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • 15 wounded in 2 explosions in restive southern Philippines

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — At least 15 people have been wounded in two separate blasts that hit a police camp in a restive southern Philippine province where Muslim militants operate, police said Saturday. …

  • 15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp
    15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp

    Fifteen people including 10 police officers were wounded in an attack on a mosque at police camp on a remote Philippine island long plagued by Islamic militancy, officials said on Saturday. Successive blasts targeted the mosque inside Camp Kasim on the island of Jolo early evening Friday -- an initial grenade attack followed by a bomb explosion less than 10 minutes later that was intended to target police who rushed to the scene, local authorities said. "It seems the (first) explosion was set …

  • US missile cruiser docks at Subic
    US missile cruiser docks at Subic

    A US Navy missile cruiser has dropped anchor in Subic Bay as part of “routine port call,” amid rising tension in the West Philippine Sea stirred by China’s island building activities and other threatening moves by its forces. The arrival of the Ticonderoga-class missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG-67) at the Subic Bay Freeport in Olongapo City yesterday was “just a routine port visit for ship replenishment and routine maintenance of shipboard system,” said Philippine Navy Public Affairs Office …

  • Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño
    Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño

    The agriculture and power sectors, as well as the general public should brace for a prolonged El Niño phenomenon that could further reduce water supply for electricity and irrigation, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. Flaviana Hilario, acting deputy administrator for research and development of PAGASA, said the El Niño condition is expected to intensify from weak to moderate by August this year. Anthony Lucero, …

  • China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row
    China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row

    The US should help “cool down” the Philippines and realize that its meddling in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) dispute would only stir tensions, a Chinese newspaper reported. “Washington should know its meddling in the South China Sea has been destabilizing the region. The US has vowed not to take sides in the territorial dispute, which involves China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. …

  • No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests
    No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests

    K to 12 is the fruit of years of comprehensive consultations involving different sectors in education,” Aquino said during the launching of the program at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City. Organized by the Department of Education (DepEd), the launch was attended by teachers, students and representatives from different stakeholders supportive of the K to 12 program. It was held two years after the signing of Republic Act 10533, or the Enhanced Basic Education …

  • MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t
    MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t

    The Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) maintained its bid for completion of the tripartite review of the implementation of the peace agreement with the Philippine government in 1996. The MNLF’s desire to put consensual closure to the tripartite effort was relayed by its leaders to Sayed El-Masry, the special envoy of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), during the annual foreign ministers conference in Kuwait last Thursday. The MNLF peace agreement with the government in Sept. 2, …

  • Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe
    Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe

    President Aquino is expected to raise the West Philippine Sea dispute during his meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Japan next week. However, there is no word yet if the Philippines will specifically ask Tokyo to join calls for China to stop its massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. Aquino will leave for Tokyo on June 2 for a state visit until June 5. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options