Radwanska to play Cibulkova in Sydney final

Poland's Agnieszka Radwanska will put her eight-match winning streak on the line when she faces Dominika Cibulkova in the final of the Sydney International on Friday.

Top seed Radwanska needed seven match points to down former winner Li Na and reach the final, remaining unbeaten in the early weeks of the new season ahead of next week's Australian Open Grand Slam.

Radwanska finally clinched a 6-3, 6-4 victory in one hour and 32 minutes over the Chinese star at the Ken Rosewall Arena.

Slovakia's Cibulkova became the first unseeded player in six years to reach the Sydney final when she ousted German second seed Angelique Kerber 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 in Thursday's other semi.

Cibulkova could reach as high as number 13 ranking from her current 14 if she wins the Sydney final.

Radwanska became the first top seed to reach the Sydney final since American Serena Williams three years ago.

She is in hot form ahead of the Australian Open after last week's victory in Auckland, where she beat Yanina Wickmayer to lift the trophy.

The top seed said her clutch of match points evoked memories of Auckland.

"It was kind of like a deja-vu from the Auckland final. I had also I think seven, eight match points before I win this final, so very similar situation," she said.

Radwanska said her constant new-season match schedule was not an issue heading into the Australian Open.

"Actually today when I was going on court, it was if I win, great; if not, it's not that big a deal because I really have had a lot of matches here and in Auckland," she said.

"I'm really ready for the Australian Open. But I always go on court to win. I will do of course everything to win the final tomorrow as well, and we'll see. I wish to win 16 matches in a row (if she wins the Open)."

For Li, who won the title in Shenzhen last week, it was her first defeat in nine matches in the new season.

She fought hard against the Pole but errors at crucial times ultimately cost her the match.

The Chinese star, who won in Sydney two years ago, netted a drop shot from the baseline on set point and then lost the match with another netted drop shot.

"I was always feeling like I had a chance. Even the chair umpire didn't say finish, (so) everyone has the chance," Li said.

Li was satisfied with her week's work after a tough playing schedule at the onset of the new year.

"I made the semis. Why should I be sad?" she said. "It's my first loss for this year so it's a pretty good experience, right?"

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options