Raffle of party-list slots moved to January 2013

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) is planning to move the scheduled date for the raffle of party-list slots on the ballot to January 2013. Commissioner Rene Sarmiento, chairman of the raffle committee, told GMA News Online that the poll body will have to finish cleansing the party-list system first before doing the raffle. The Comelec, through Resolution No. 9572, has initially scheduled the raffle on December 17, 2012 at 1:30 p.m. “Tinitingnan namin, may kaunting pending pa. Baka mga early January na lang para malinis ‘yung listahan ng party-list. Baka may ipa-raffle kami, may ma-miss, at may masama pang dapat wala naman pala,” Sarmiento said. The raffle would be done using a raffle drum and numbered ping pong balls. A Comelec official or a representative from the party-list group, if present, will pick the ball corresponding to the number. This will be the first time the Comelec will raffle out the slots on the ballot. In the 2010 elections, the groups were listed alphabetically. Before that, since the first party-list election in 1998, the ballot only provided a blank for the voter to write the name of the group they were voting for. Sarmiento, the longest serving commissioner in the Comelec, said the raffle would prevent the “ridiculous” sequencing of party-list groups in the ballot. “[The raffle aims] to avoid ‘yung mga favoritism and to avoid this unahan for the sequence because they are number one or because they are letter “A.” Also to level the playing field, to be fair especially in the sequencing of these party-list organizations in the paper ballot,” he said. Reached for a clarification, Comelec chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. told GMA News Online that the en banc would follow Sarmiento's decision. “Susundin namin dahil siya ang chairman d’yan,” he said, referring to the Raffle Committee. Of the 187 party-list groups allowed to run in 2010, 103 have names starting with “A” while 12 groups start with the number “1.” Meanwhile, of the 84 groups accredited by Comelec for the 2013 elections, 49 party-lists have names starting with “A” while nine start with “1.” Sarmiento said they are still discussing the fate of about five party-list groups. Comelec has so far approved 84 groups to run next year, while it disqualified eight incumbent and 147 new and existing ones. The Supreme Court has also given reprieve to 17 disqualified groups, meaning they could be included in the ballot unless the high court ruled against them according to the merits. — KBK, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options