Rama: City Government doesn’t have to spend a centavo to finish CCMC building

CEBU City Mayor Michael Rama said the construction of the 10-story Cebu City Medical Center (CCMC) can be completed without using City Government funds.

“Why not? It can be. Dili lang ta manghambog kay naa naman na sila ba (I don’t mean to boast but they are there). They are just waiting,” Rama said, referring to the group of investors who last year pledged around P800 million to finish the CCMC.

He pointed out that the City Government did not spend a single centavo for the construction of the Senior Citizens Park, the Magellan’s Park, the civil works for the Plaza Independencia and the beautification of the sidewalks of Osmeña Boulevard.

He said they target to finish the shell of the CCMC on June 12, adding that the hospital should be fully operational by November.

Last November, the City Government, through the Department of Engineering and Public Works (DEPW), ordered the contractor, M.E. Sicat Construction, to stop the construction of the CCMC.

"It does not matter, I will be the one to become a murag (like a) civil engineer. It has to start with the people's participation in terms of its completion," Rama said, when asked if the DEPW would take over from M.E. Sicat.

He said the City will ensure the building’s structural integrity.

The mayor decided to terminate the contractor’s contract when the latter failed to do as he asked, which was to finish the construction of the CCMC on his 68th birthday on October 28, 2022.

Members of the contract termination review committee (CTRC) that was formed by Rama met Tuesday, January 3, to study the verified report of the DEPW regarding the CCMC.

Lawyer Carlo Vincent Gimena, CTRC chairman, said the committee will send a show-cause order to inform M.E. Sicat about the DEPW’s verified report before it comes up with a recommendation to Rama for the “mutual rescission” of the contract. (PAC, PJB)