Rama dislikes idea of placing Cebu City under stricter quarantine status

·1 min read

AMID the steady decrease of Covid-19 cases in Cebu City, Acting Mayor Michael Rama does not like the idea of changing the city’s current quarantine status to a stricter one.

Staying in the general community quarantine (GCQ) status is way better than being placed under enhanced community quarantine or modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) as these statuses restrict public movement and several non-essential businesses would temporarily close shop. Cebu City is under GCQ from Sept. 8 until Sept. 30. The city was under MECQ from Aug. 1 to 31, and the status was extended to Sept. 7 when it saw an increase of Covid-19 cases and deaths.

Rama told SunStar Cebu last week that he is focusing on the ongoing implementation of health protocols and vaccination rollout in Cebu City to mitigate the effects of the pandemic.

He said GCQ has already given convenience to the people because movements were not limited.

If the observance of health protocols and vaccination are sustained, Rama said Cebu City could look forward to a better future in 2022.

Last Sept. 23, epidemiologist Dr. Mercedes Eugenia Canal of the Department of Health 7 attributed the continuing decrease of Covid-19 cases in Cebu City to the residents’ adherence to health protocols and ongoing vaccination. (MVE)

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting