Rama: NBI probe on trash winding up

·2 min read

CEBU City Mayor Michael Rama said results of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) probe on alleged anomalous garbage collection deal will be out soon.

In a press conference Tuesday, Aug. 2, 2022, Rama said he was briefed by NBI Central Visayas Director Rennan Oliva about the progress of the case.

According to Rama, the NBI regional director said there are “things to be unwavering (sic) and actions will be expected,” from the bureau.

In a 2021 audit report, the Commission on Audit has flagged the Cebu City Government’s P383 million garbage collection deal with Docast Construction and JJ & J Construction and General Supply.

“Let us wait on how NBI will be coming on what they believe should be because that is their mandate and I have trust and confidence in the present director and the staff... Give them the benefit of the doubt,” said Rama.

Rama added that the probe should now be expedited since necessary documents from the City Treasurer’s Office (CTO) had already been forwarded to the NBI.

The CTO submitted to the NBI certified true copies of the disbursement voucher issued for the services rendered by the private contractors.

In a privilege speech before the City Council, opposition Councilor Nestor Archival suggested that the City should create a multi-sectoral investigating body that will help provide additional evidence in the investigation.

Rama said he does not want to argue with Archival, but the matter should be left to the NBI.

He said, the NBI is competent enough to handle the case and has proven its competence by solving numerous cases before.

“I do not have to be enumerating what they have accomplished but history would tell us that they did a very good action before,” said Rama.

Rama previously ordered all concerned City Hall offices to cooperate with the NBI probe.

Among other things, the COA flagged the deal for the failure of the two companies to meet the City’s requirements which, therefore, made them ineligible to provide the service.

Another issue raised by the COA was the firms’ hauling of garbage even before the City’s Bids and Awards Committee conducted the post-qualification stage.

State auditors were also able to uncover that the two companies’ primary business is not logistics or hauling services but construction and general supply.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting