Rama suspends all quarry operations in Cebu City



CEBU City Mayor Michael Rama ordered the suspension of all quarry and earth-moving operations in 30 mountain barangays starting on Thursday, November 3, 2022.

The order is contained in Rama's Executive Order (EO) 13, which he issued following the landslide in Sitio Garahe, Barangay Busay on Saturday, October 29.

The mayor also ordered the City Mining Regulatory Board not to issue quarry permits.

"The lifting of the suspension is subject to the evaluation of the current geological condition of the City's 30 upland barangays, and recommendation by the Special Task Force [Likay sa Landslide]," read a portion of EO 13.

Rama’s EO did not mention all the 30 villages, only 14 of them.

These are Banilad, Budlaan, Busay, Babag, Bonbon, Malubog, Pung-ol Sibugay, Sirao, Pulangbato, Guba, Mabini, Binaliw, Agsungot and Sinsin.

Lawyer Collin Rosell, secretary to the mayor and the special task force chairman, said the suspension of quarry permits took effect immediately after Rama signed EO 13 on Thursday.

Rama's EO 13 further directed barangay officials to "report and/or suspend the quarry and earth-moving operations conducted within their jurisdiction."

Binaliw Barangay Captain Viviane Ruste said there were quarry operations last year, but these have stopped since because the operators lacked permits.

In the city's north district, Barangay Pulangbato has quarry operations and these were ordered suspended after the issuance of EO 13. (PAC, KAL, PJB)