Redesign to delay construction of temporary housing

Reconstruction in areas in the central Philippines where Typhoon Haiyan (local name:Yolanda) demolished infrastructure in November is facing delays, with the government choosing to redesign some temporary housing after construction had started, officials say.

The government is building bunk houses to temporarily house tens of thousands of victims, many of who are still living in evacuation centers and tent cities two months after the typhoon hit.

On Monday, Public Works and Highways Secretary Rogelio Singson said the design of the bunk houses has been changed to take into account the recommendations of various international experts who have visited typhoon-devastated areas.

Mr. Singson said he had met with and received suggestions for improvements from “at least 10 different [United Nations] organizations, “ and was adapting the bunk houses based on that advice.

The redesign, which increases the living space in each unit and improves ventilation, has affected the pace of building since adjustments had to be made after construction began, he said, noting that construction of more permanent shelters is likely to extend beyond the current president’s term.

President Benigno Aquino III will leave office in June 2016. Following the massive storm that struck the central part of the country last November, he promised to provide permanent housing for victims as soon as possible.

But Mr. Singson told reporters that the goal could not be met given the scale of devastation and the need for new shelters in other areas hit by earlier disasters.

“We can say that we are doing our best to complete whatever we can do in the remaining two and half years,” he said at a press briefing.

Mr. Singson, who has a reputation for completing public works projects ahead of time and under budget, said it would take three to four years to complete the shelter program.

Haiyan is the deadliest storm in the Philippines’ modern history. It has so far claimed more than 6,100 lives and displaced 4.1 million people. The typhoon has also damaged 1.14 million houses, half of which are have been completely destroyed.

Aside from areas destroyed by the typhoon, the government is also building shelters for victims of earlier calamities. Those include the 7.2-magnitude earthquake that hit Bohol, also in the central Philippines, in October and a weeks-long stand-off between Muslim rebels and government forces in Zamboanga City in the September that displaced around 100,000 people.

The government has set aside P100 billion ($2.2 billion) in its 2014 budget for reconstruction of the areas impacted by Haiyan. Officials estimate that it will cost around $8 billion to fund the reconstruction effort over the next four years.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • No apology, but Noy seeks understanding
    No apology, but Noy seeks understanding

    There was no apology, but President Aquino yesterday expressed regret, took “full responsibility” and appealed to the nation for “deepest understanding” for the Jan. 25 Mamasapano raid in which dozens died, including 44 police Special Action Force (SAF) commandos. “To every Filipino who has felt failure or has been hurt because of the events related to this operation, it is with abiding humility that I ask for your deepest understanding,” Aquino said in a speech before the 246 new graduates of …

  • MVP on endorsement: Thanks, I’m no politician
    MVP on endorsement: Thanks, I’m no politician

    Businessman Manuel V. Pangilinan is grateful for Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago’s praise and presidential endorsement, but says he is not a politician. In an interview on the sidelines of the launch of the search for The Outstanding Young Men (TOYM) of the Philippines 2015 Wednesday night, Pangilinan dismissed the idea of running for president in the 2016 elections. “I’m not a politician, I’m just an ordinary business person,” he added. Santiago endorsed Pangilinan as a presidential candidate …

  • No Lenten break in operations vs lawless groups – AFP
    No Lenten break in operations vs lawless groups – AFP

    The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is not suspending its offensive against the Abu Sayyaf, New People’s Army (NPA) and other lawless groups during the Holy Week, an official said yesterday. Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc, AFP public affairs office chief, said the AFP leadership is leaving it up to area and division commanders whether to raise the alert status in preparation for the Holy Week. Those deployed in areas where there are ongoing law enforcement operations against terrorist groups …

  • Probe harassment vs human rights lawyer, CA orders AFP
    Probe harassment vs human rights lawyer, CA orders AFP

    The Court of Appeals (CA) has ordered the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) to investigate a human rights lawyer’s claim of harassment, including surveillance, by several military officers. In a 22-page decision, the former Special Sixth Division of the appellate court granted the petition for writ of amparo and habeas data of Maria Catherine Dannug-Salucon. The CA ordered the AFP to identify the officers behind the surveillance and file charges against them. The CA ruling said …

  • Noy vows to dismantle bata-bata system in PNP
    Noy vows to dismantle bata-bata system in PNP

    President Aquino vowed yesterday to dismantle the culture of factionalism or the bata-bata system within the Philippine National Police as he continued the search for the next PNP chief. Speaking at the Philippine National Police Academy (PNPA) commencement exercises here, the President said the country needed solidarity among leaders and members of the police force so that the policemen would be effective protectors of Filipinos. “Our challenge to the next chief of our national police force: …

  • Envoy to expats: Retire, invest in Phl
    Envoy to expats: Retire, invest in Phl

    Retire and invest in real estate in the Philippines, especially now that the country has made it to the top 10 retirement destinations in the world. This is the message being spread by the Philippine embassy in Washington, with Ambassador Jose Cuisia Jr. leading the refrain in meetings with various Filipino-American communities in the US. In his talks, Cuisia said that an affordable cost of living as well as warm climate and people are just some of the things that make the Philippines a top …

  • PNPA spotlight falls on Ampatuan grandson
    PNPA spotlight falls on Ampatuan grandson

    The stigma of being a namesake of the principal suspect in the 2009 Maguindanao massacre did not prevent Cadet First Class Andal Ampatuan III from entering and graduating from the Philippine National Police Academy (PNPA). Ampatuan III, now with a rank of police inspector, is a grandson of former Maguindanao governor Andal Ampatuan Sr. The younger Ampatuan was among the 246 graduates of the PNPA “Lakandula” Class of 2015. Ampatuan III’s mother is Bai Rebecca Ampatuan, a daughter of the …

  • Southwest transport terminal construction start still in limbo

    The construction of the country’s first intermodal transport facility is in limbo as both the government and the winning private concessionaire are waiting on each other before finally pushing through with the contract signing. Transportation Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya said the ongoing titling of the project site for the R2.5-billion Integrated Transport System (ITS) Southwest Terminal should not delay the concession agreement signing, which has been indefinitely postponed since February …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options