Redknapp set for dramatic Spurs exit: reports

Harry Redknapp appeared set for a dramatic exit as the manager of Tottenham Hotspur, reports said, with the BBC quoting sources saying he has already left White Hart Lane.

The 65-year-old Englishman was known to be pushing Spurs chairman Daniel Levy for an extension to his contract, which expires at the end of next season, saying the uncertainty surrounding his position was destabilising the squad.

It has been claimed that Levy is only willing to offer Redknapp a rolling 12-month contract whereas the former Portsmouth manager is thought to want a longer deal.

The BBC quoted sources Wednesday that said Redknapp has left after failing to reach a deal with Levy, while Sky Sports reported that he was set to leave despite having a year left on his contract.

Redknapp did achieve Levy's goal of a top four finish last season but while that would normally have been good enough for a Champions League place it wasn't this time because Chelsea took a place for winning this term's tournament.

Of course had Spurs not squandered a 10-point lead over Arsenal late in the season, they would have finished third instead of their north London rivals.

Tottenham's slump in form came when it was widely assumed by the British media that Redknapp would become the next England manager following Italian boss Fabio Capello's resignation.

Instead, the Football Association chose the less flamboyant Roy Hodgson, now in charge of England at the ongoing Euro 2012 tournament in Poland and Ukraine.

Prior to the speculation surrounding the England job, Redknapp also had to deal with the stress of facing a tax trial brought on charges relating to his time as Portsmouth manager.

He was cleared by a jury of all charges.

Redknapp denied the trial or the England speculation had had any impact on Tottenham's results.

And Tuesday saw him repeating his call to Levy for a new contract, saying without it Spurs risked losing star players such as Gareth Bale and Luka Modric.

"The simple situation is, I've got a year left on my contract," he told ESPN Soccernet.

"It's not a case of me looking for security. What it's about is players knowing you've only got one year left on your contract and knowing that it doesn't work, basically.

"You don't let players run into the last year of their contract if you think they're any good, and you don't let managers run into the last year of their contract if you think they're any good.

"It's up to Tottenham. If they think I'm okay and I've done a decent job and deserve an extension, they'll give it to me.

"If Daniel doesn't think I'm worth it, that's up to him, that's up to the club. There's nothing I can do about it."

When Redknapp arrived from Portsmouth to replace Juande Ramos at White Hart Lane in 2008, Tottenham were bottom of the Premier League.

But he has since led them to the quarter-finals of the Champions League and two top four finishes in the Premier League.

Everton manager David Moyes was linked with the Tottenham job when Redknapp was being touted for the England post and the Scot remains the bookmakers' favourite to replace him if there is a vacancy.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

  • Project NOAH exec receives recognition
    Project NOAH exec receives recognition

    Project NOAH executive director and University of the Philippines professor Mahar Lagmay recently received recognition from the European Geosciences Union (EGU) for his work in disaster risk reduction and mitigation in the Philippines. …

  • Nightclub ban for US troops
    Nightclub ban for US troops

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said yesterday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipino he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow the 10-day annual military exercises, according to Capt. Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow
    US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening  defense alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China’s increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Palace defends legal tack in sea row
    Palace defends legal tack in sea row

    There is nothing weak about taking the legal and diplomatic approach to push for the country’s claims in the disputed West Philippine Sea, Malacañang maintained yesterday. On Friday, Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares led a rally in front of the Chinese consulate in Makati City to protest China’s massive reclamation activities in the Spratly island group to fortify its presence in the disputed waters. Colmenares also criticized the Philippine government for supposedly not doing enough to defend …

  • Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death
    Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death

    The sons of Mary Jane Veloso, who is facing execution in Indonesia for drug smuggling, yesterday appealed to government officials to do everything to spare their mother from death. “We love you,” Mark Daniel, 12, said when asked for a message for his mother following a press conference at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. Mark Daniel, an incoming Grade 8 student, reiterated his appeal to those in power to help save his mother from death. His younger brother, …

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options