Redknapp urges Spurs to resolve his future

Harry Redknapp has called on Tottenham Hotspur chairman Daniel Levy to offer him a new contract or risk losing the Premier League club's star players.

Redknapp's current deal expires at the end of next season and the Spurs manager is reported to have hired Wayne Rooney's agent Paul Stretford in a bid to secure a new contract after missing out on the England coaching job.

But Levy has yet to indicate he is ready to offer an extended contract to Redknapp, sparking suggestions the 65-year-old could be tempted to leave White Hart Lane if he gets a big-money offer from a Qatari club or even European champions Chelsea.

Redknapp insists there is no truth in speculation that his relationship with Levy is on the rocks, but he wants a new contract sorted out as soon as possible to avoid the prospect of unsettling key players like Luka Modric and Gareth Bale.

Croatia midfielder Modric has been linked with Manchester United and Chelsea, while Wales winger Bale is reportedly on Barcelona's wanted list.

"I've never had a problem with Daniel Levy," Redknapp told Sky Sports News.

"People keep talking about our relationship. I've never had a minute's problem with Daniel Levy in terms of falling out with him or whatever. I don't even know where that comes from.

"The simple situation is, I've got a year left on my contract. It's up to Tottenham whether they want to extend that contract or not.

"If they think I'm okay and I've done a decent job and deserve an extension, they'll give it to me.

"If Daniel doesn't think I'm worth it, that's up to him, that's up to the club. There's nothing I can do about it."

With Spurs having failed to qualify for the Champions League after Chelsea's final win over Bayern Munich pushed the north Londoners into the Europa League, Redknapp believes there is a real possibility Modric and Bale could be lured away.

And he is convinced his contract situation could lead to an unsettled season as the players will be aware he may be leaving shortly.

"If they don't extend it and I go into my last year, it's not an easy one when players know you've only got a year left," he said.

"It's not a case of me looking for security. What it's about is players knowing you've only got year left on your contract and knowing that it doesn't work, basically.

"I think it's a situation of, 'Well, he might not be here next year.'

"You don't let players run into the last year of their contract if you think they're any good, and you don't let managers run into the last year of their contract if you think they're any good."

But on suggestions he could be heading to Qatar, Redknapp said: "I don't speak to anybody else -- I'm under contract at Tottenham. I keep seeing something about Qatar -- I've never even been to Qatar in my life!"

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US renews travel warning to Mindanao
    US renews travel warning to Mindanao

    The US State Department renewed its warning about the risks of travel to the Philippines, in particular to the Sulu archipelago, certain regions and cities of Mindanao and the southern Sulu Sea area. In an update on Wednesday of a travel warning it issued Nov. 20, 2014, the State Department said US citizens should continue to defer non-essential travel to the Sulu archipelago due to the high threat of kidnapping of international travelers and violence linked to insurgency and terrorism there. …

  • Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda
    Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda

    The Philippine initiative to put the interests of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) front and center in global and regional trade has made significant progress following the conclusion on Thursday of the 2nd APEC Senior Officials’ Meeting (SOM2) and Related Meetings in Boracay, Aklan. Called “The Boracay Action Agenda to Globalize MSMEs,” the Philippine proposal calls for a host of specific, concrete and practical interventions that APEC economies can implement to provide MSMEs wider …

  • Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week
    Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week

    The Philippines will join a 15-nation meeting in Bangkok, Thailand next week to address the migration crisis involving thousands of Rohingyas who escaped persecution in Myanmar and Bangladesh. Justice Secretary Leila de Lima bared this yesterday after meeting with United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) representative to the Philippines Bernard Kerblat. In an interview, De Lima said the Philippine government has been invited to the meeting. …

  • Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon
    Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon

    LEGAZPI CITY—A magnitude 4.2 earthquake hit Prieto Diaz town in Sorsogon before dawn yesterday, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said. …

  • Drought-resistant rice breeds bared
    Drought-resistant rice breeds bared

    SCIENCE CITY OF MUÑOZ, Nueva Ecija – Amid the searing heat, the Philippine Rice Research Institute central experiment station here has identified nine rice breeds which have been proven to be drought-resistant and produce high yields in temperatures as high as 38°C based on a recent study. Thelma Padolina, lead researcher of the study titled “Screening of rice-induced mutants for heat and drought tolerance,” identified the breeding lines as the Ballatinaw lines, PSB Rc72H and Azucena lines. …

  • Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning
    Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning

    The United States military will continue air and sea patrols in international waters even after the Chinese navy repeatedly warned a US surveillance plane to leave the airspace over artificial islands China is creating in the disputed South China Sea. The Philippine government also declared it would continue activities in the region, calling on China to respect freedom of navigation and aviation. “Our position on the importance of letting freedom of navigation, freedom of aviation and …

  • MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned
    MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned

    Electricity and mobile phone services would be cut throughout Metro Manila, and all private and government offices and businesses, including shopping malls, would be closed. That would be the situation on July 16 between 3 and 8 p.m. to simulate the scenario of a 7.2 magnitude earthquake. The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) has warned that an earthquake of that magnitude could occur and kill at least 33,500 people and injure at least 113,600 others following a …

  • Subaru XV now priced among sedans
    Subaru XV now priced among sedans

    Motor Image Philipinas (MIP), the authorized distributor of Subaru in the country, has positioned its brand new crossover SUV, the Subaru XV, well within the sedan segment’s price range. This move, according to MIP, was made to give the public an opportunity to experience the brand’s unique automotive technologies by lowering its price. Buyers of […] The post Subaru XV now priced among sedans appeared first on Carmudi Philippines. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options