New Year revelry brings suffering to unsuspecting kids

A seven-year-old girl in Caloocan City just wanted to see some fireworks on New Year's eve. Instead, she ended up with a bullet in her head. Dr. Emmanuel Bueno, medical specialist III at the East Avenue Medical Center in Quezon City, said the child was just playing outside her home in Caloocan City on New Year's eve when she was suddenly hit by a stray bullet in the head. "Yung bata ay naglalaro sa labas. Nanonood daw ng fireworks at after that hindi rin naman nakita ng magulang yung nangyari. Nakita na lang nila na mayroon nang sugat," Bueno said on Tuesday. Bueno explained that doctors cannot yet remove the bullet, which had penetrated the left side of her brain. "Hindi pa po maoperahan ang bata dahil wala pong maidudulot na maganda ang operahan siya sa ngayon," he said, adding that her situation remains critical. "Mahirap po magsabi ng numero kasi baka po magkamali tayo. [Basta] the situation is very critical, naka-respirator po ang bata," he said. The child's parents refused to speak on the shooting. This seven-year old victim is just one of the many unsuspecting children who were injured in the New Year revelry nationwide. "In terms of yung mga bata, yung number is essentially 50/50. Kalahati ang [sa kanila ay] passive meaning yung mga nanonood lamang at mga kalahati din yun ang nagpapaputok," Health Sec. Enrique Ona said in a press conference on Tuesday. According to the DOH chief, more than 50 percent of those injured were children below the age of 10 years. He specifically pointed out that of the 413 people reported injured so far, 29 percent or 116 came from the six to 10 years old age-group. Of the 72 fireworks victims treated at the East Avenue Medical Center alone, 26 were aged zero to 10 years old while 23 were aged 11 to 20 years old. Among those with the worst injuries were the said girl from Caloocan and a 17-year-old adolescent, whose right arm had to be amputated as it was too mutilated by the so-called firecracker "Goodbye Philippines." "Pagdaan daw nila sa kalsada may naghagis daw ng paputok,ngayon dinampot naman ng anak ko. Pinakamalaki raw ang paputok na yun. Ngayon dinampot niya tsaka sumabog," the teenager's mother said in an interview with GMA News. Another victim is a ten-year-old boy who was unsuspectingly playing with his bother outside their house in Taytay, Rizal on New Year's Day. The boy sustained superficial to partial thickness burns after his 11-year-old brother gathered a pile of green "watusi" and lit it. "Sinindihan niya bigla hindi ko alam," he said, while crying from the pain caused by the burns on his face, arms, and legs. A twelve-year-old girl likewise thought she was safe when she went outside their house in East Fairview in Quezon City on New Year's Day, thinking that the festivities were over. "Bumaba kami kasi huminto na sila [magpaputok], nagpaputok na lang sila ng Luces, eh nung naubos Luces nila, nagsindi ulit [sila].,Sumigaw na ako. Sabi ko sa mga bata:

hala ayan na sumindi na, pasok na. Eh, hindi pala sumunod ito," her mother told GMA News Online on Tuesday. The girl sustained a wound beside her right eye and is awaiting the results of her medical examination. Asked if she was scared that she may have lost her eyesight for good, she remained silent and said she will never go out on New Year's eve ever again. "Di na ako lalabas," she said. Ona said that it was "worrying" because 13 percent or 51 fireworks victims incurred eye injuries. "Yang eye injury, it can be very serious. At the moment meron [din] kaming one case amputation of the hand. ,Those are very, very serious injuries that will have a lifelong and lifelasting disability...you can just imagine the extent of the disability," he said. This, he said, is the reason why it is important for parents to monitor and teach their children the dangers of fireworks. "Dito pinapakita how important it is na yung magpapaputok lalo na kung meron tayong identified na area are really di lamang mga adults at matured, kundi yung nakakaintindi at nakakaalam sa mga dangers nito. ,Wag na itong mga bata," he said. — DVM, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Pagasa: Drought may worsen
    Pagasa: Drought may worsen

    The drought in 12 already dry areas in the country is expected to worsen as the summer season peaks next month, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. In an advisory, PAGASA said the provinces of Albay, Bataan, Batangas, Biliran, Cavite, Cebu, Ilocos Norte, Leyte, Misamis Occidental, Pampanga, Zamboanga del Norte and Zamboanga del Sur will continue to receive “way below” or “below normal” rainfall in May. PAGASA defines …

  • Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea
    Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea

    The military has advised its pilots conducting surveillance in the West Philippine Sea to exercise maximum restraint even if they are being bullied by Chinese troops. Armed Forces spokesman Brig. Gen. Joselito Kakilala said all actions of the pilots should be consistent with the declaration of conduct signed by claimant countries. Armed Forces public affairs chief Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc said the Philippines should remain on moral high ground when it comes to the territorial dispute. A …

  • MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami
    MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami

    The Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) yesterday led the annual rescue march from Quezon City to Manila, giving rescue volunteers a glimpse of possible scenarios if the metropolis is hit by a strong quake or is inundated by a tsunami. Cora Jimenez, MMDA general manager, said 700 volunteer rescuers walked from the Quezon City memorial circle to the Bonifacio monument in front of the Manila city hall to simulate a response-exercise to a magnitude 7.2 earthquake. Renato Solidum, …

  • Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean
    Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean

    Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario bared yesterday before the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) reports of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) threat to the Philippines through the Black Flag Movement in Mindanao. Speaking before ASEAN foreign ministers, Del Rosario said the ISIS threat to Philippine security is real rather than imagined because of the Black Flag Movement’s pledge of allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. …

  • ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’
    ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’

    China’s occupation and buildup of its military structures in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea is causing the country’s top energy official to get the jitters as the encroachment is seen as a huge dent on the Philippines’ efforts to achieve energy security. “It is a concern but if we don’t bring it to the United Nations, where will we bring it? We cannot bang heads with them,” Energy Secretary Carlos Jericho Petilla told The STAR in an interview over the weekend. The US Energy …

  • Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control
    Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control

    The Philippines yesterday urged the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to unite and stop China’s massive reclamation in disputed waters as it will give China “de facto control” over the area and cause $100 million in marine wealth losses annually. At the ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting here, Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario told his counterparts that the situation in West Philippine Sea had worsened just a year after the Philippines began to draw international …

  • Gov’t spends P11.8 M for Noy’s Asean trip
    Gov’t spends P11.8 M for Noy’s Asean trip

    The government has allotted about P11.8 million for President Aquino’s attendance at the 26th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit in Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi in Malaysia from April 26 to 28. “President Aquino’s participation to the 26th ASEAN Summit is important as the region gears toward the creation of an ASEAN community, which is envisioned to provide new opportunities for the peoples of this region, including the Philippines,” Ochoa said in a statement. He was with …

  • Mary Jane: Shun drugs, get legit recruiters
    Mary Jane: Shun drugs, get legit recruiters

    As Mary Jane Veloso held on to vestiges of hope that her life might be spared, she thanked Filipinos for their support and had some pieces of advice.  Efforts to save Veloso from the firing squad continued after Indonesian authorities issued the notice of execution to the Filipina worker who had written four letters – including one for President Aquino – expressing hope that justice will prevail and her gratitude to her countrymen. Veloso’s relatives arrived in Nusa Kambangan Island on …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options