Road open to quarter-finals, says Croatia's Bilic

Croatia coach Slaven Bilic lauded his team for their 3-1 victory over Ireland, saying they had opened the door to the quarter-finals, though he conceded that going further at Euro 2012 could be tough.

"Tonight we showed that we can play," Bilic said after the final whistle in a rain-swept Municipal Stadium in the western Polish city of Poznan, where Ireland and Croatia launched their Euro 2012 campaign.

"Maybe the Irish were the better team in some moments, but I think that if you look, the overall impression is that we were the much better team," the former Croatia defender said.

"We are strong as a team, and I think that after this match we are getting even better and even stronger. I expect to play even better against Italy because the first match is the most difficult, and this is behind us."

Bilic underlined that both teams had gone into the match fully aware that they had to perform.

"I'm sorry for the Irish. They were looking for a chance in this match. But it was the same for us," he said.

Earlier, in the Baltic port of Gdansk, heavyweights Italy and Spain had drawn 1-1, meaning Croatia top the table.

"We have three points, and we're top of the group," said Bilic.

"One win would be enough to go to the quarter-finals."

"We cannot fly in the championship, but let's go step by step. We respect all our opponents. We have no fear against anyone. Spain and Italy are favorites in our group, but I still think we are able to beat one of them."

Wolfsburg's Mario Mandzukic scored a double in the Ireland game, his first goal in the just third minute to make it 1-0 and the second after the break to take the score to 3-1.

"Mario's a top class player. He's playing at his top. Wolfsburg stayed in the Bundesliga thanks to him," Bilic said of the 26-year-old striker, who was named man of the match.

Handing over the award, former Yugoslavia striker Predrag Mijatovic heaped praise on Mandzukic.

"Just go on like this, I'm sure you can score more goals in this tournament," he said.

Mandzukic said the game had been tough.

"It was a hard match. We knew that it wasn't going to be easy," he said.

"We did our best and I think we deserved a victory. It was very important that we scored an early goal," he added.

"It was not so easy on the pitch. They are really good fighters."

Striking a personal note, he added: "My Dad asked me to score a goal with my head. I'm a really tall player and I like to have my chances."

Forty-three-year-old Bilic, would, after six years in charge, like nothing better than to lift the trophy before he moves into club management with Russia's Lokomotiv Moscow.

Like Ireland, Croatia earned their Euro 2012 slot in the playoffs, in their case against Turkey - exacting revenge for the Turks' penalties victory in the Euro 2008 quarter-finals.

Their progress four years ago raised hopes of a return to Croatian football's 1990s glory days, when Bilic was a pillar of their defense.

Croatia, emerging from the war sparked by the collapse of Yugoslavia, reached the quarter-finals of Euro 1996 and finished third at the 1998 World Cup.

Doing well at Euro 2012 would have added symbolism for a nation set to join the European Union next year.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

  • Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano
    Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano

    Government troops captured Sunday a bomb and weapons factory of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) announced yesterday. Col. Restituto Padilla, AFP spokesman, said the captured bomb and weapons factory is located inside an area controlled by radical Muslim cleric Ustadz Mohammad Ali Tambako at Barangay Dasikil in Mamasapano. …

  • Bong wants to see son in hospital
    Bong wants to see son in hospital

    Detained Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. will ask the Sandiganbayan to allow him to visit his son, Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla, confined at the intensive care unit of the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa for a gunshot wound in the chest. Lawyer Raymond Fortun, spokesman for the Revilla family, said the senator would ask for a 24- to 48-hour furlough. Sen. Revilla’s legal counsel Ramon Esguerra said doctors removed a half liter of blood. Fortun said he was able to talk to Jolo …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options