Mall-goers panic; Robbers flee after attacking jewelry store

(UPDATE 4) A robbery incident stirred panic among mall-goers in Mandaluyong City Saturday.

Mandaluyong City Police Senior Superintendent Armand Bolalin confirmed the incident, identifying "Martilyo Gang" to be behind the robbery at a jewelry store in Megamall.

"The robbers used hammers to rob the jewelry store," Bolalin said.

"It's a hold-up. They used hammers to get the [jewelry] from the counter," Bolalin added.

This reporter saw people in panic, running in big groups from SM Megamall Building B.

The shooting started at the upper ground floor of department store in SM Megamall Building B, a little past 7 pm.

As of this posting, Bolalin said no casualties have so far been reported.

"There's no report of anyone injured in the incident yet," he said.

Meanwhile, SM management issued a statement around 11 pm. It said it "deeply regrets the robbery incident at a jewelry counter inside SM Megamall on Jan.26 at approx 7:26pm."

SM, quoting initial reports, confirmed "Martilyo Gang" was behind the heist.

"They pounded the jewelry fixtures, broke the glass and stole a still undetermined amount of jewelry before escaping. A gunshot was reportedly fired at the ceiling but fortunately, no casualty was reported," the SM statement added.

SM also confirmed the robbers were able to escape. 

"SM is cooperating with the police to ascertain how or why the Martilyo Gang was able to escape detection. The management has beefed up security and we would like to assure the public that we will be conducting a thorough investigation," SM added.

In an earlier phone interview, SM Megamall spokesperson Ian Mathay confirmed the robbers were able to whisk away jewelry. But he refused to say how much the jewelry cost.

"The police is still conducting initial investigation. We don't know how much is the estimate but I can confirm jewelries have been taken away," Mathay said.

Earlier, Lovely Navarra, a sales lady in the department store, said a series of loud crashes caught mall employees' attention. She then saw a group of men who were collecting jewelry from the counter.

"There was a loud crashing sound from the cosmetics section. When we looked, we saw the counter destroyed before we heard gun shots," Navarra said in Filipino.

"We all panicked and hurried away. Then we heard another series of shooting," she recalled.

Another witness, who requested not to be named, said she saw three men dressed in police uniforms walking around the jewelry counter before the shooting, which lasted for more than 30 seconds.

Confused mall goers were able to go out of SM Megamall at about 8 p.m. The mall was cordoned off until Special Weapons and Tactic units from Philippine National Police Mandaluyong and Pasig arrived at the area past 8 pm.

Cops refused to comment about the uniformed policemen spotted at the jewelry counter, noting they could just be part of the cosplay event that was held at SM Megatrade Hall earlier on Saturday.

Security guards opened SM Megamall to allow people recover their belongings they left behind when the incident took place.

Related slideshow: Photos post-robbery

Scene at Megamall, minutes after the robbery at a jewelry store. (Photo by Rio Ribaya)
1 / 5
Sat, Jan 26, 2013 9:00 PM PHT
Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options