'Rockefeller' killer explained grave as 'plumbing'

The German who posed as a Rockefeller family member after allegedly killing a man in California explained the freshly-dug soil in his back yard as plumbing work, a witness said.

Christian Gerhartsreiter, accused of burying the dismembered body of John Sohus in his backyard in 1985, gave the explanation to guests he invited to his house to play Trivial Pursuit.

Dana Glad Farrar said she knew Gerhartsreiter as Christopher Chichester, a self-described British baronet, when she went to his home in San Marino, near Los Angeles, in the summer of 1985.

The guests gathered in the backyard of the guest house he rented, which stood behind the main house occupied by Sohus and his wife Linda, owned by Sohus' aging mother Ruth, who also lived there.

"Well, shortly after I sat down, I noticed there was dirt in the yard that had been dug up," she told the LA Superior Court jury, which heard opening prosecution and defense statements on Monday.

"It looked like someone had dug up part of the lawn ... I said, 'What's going on with your yard, Chris? It's all dug up.' He said he had been having plumbing problems."

Gerhartsreiter, 52, is charged with murdering Sohus, whose remains were only found nine years later when new owners of the house were digging up the yard to make a swimming pool.

Linda Sohus vanished at the same time, as did Gerhartsreiter -- who moved to Connecticut and changed his name a number of times, eventually calling himself Clark Rockefeller and getting married, fooling even his wife for 12 years.

On the day playing Trivial Pursuit, Farrar asked Gerhartsreiter why he went into the main house two or three times to fetch items like sugar and ice, rather than the guest house which was nearer and where he lived.

"He said, 'They are away. They will not mind'," she said, adding that she had doubts about him at the time, particularly because he said he was from South Africa and rich.

"There were a lot of inconsistencies ... I didn't really have any reason to doubt it, but he had a really old car," she said, adding that she never heard from him again, after that day.

Farrar was the second witness called by the prosecution, after the owner of the house who unearthed Sohus' bones in 1994, Jose Perez -- who described finding the remains wrapped inside plastic bags and a fiberglass container.

"That's the skull," Perez said, when asked by prosecutor Habib Balian about a photo taken in the yard. He estimated that it would have taken someone six to seven hours to dig the hole in which the remains were buried.

The German's defense lawyer claimed Monday that Sohus' wife Linda could just as easily have killed her husband, noting that she was 6 feet tall and weighed 200 pounds, whereas Gerhartsreiter was 5 foot 6 inches and weighed 140 pounds.

Key evidence could be postcards apparently sent by Linda Sohus from Paris, three months after the couple's disappearance. Prosecutors say Gerhartsreiter arranged for them to be sent, while his lawyer said she did in fact mail them.

Expected to last three to four weeks, the trial is being held in the downtown LA courtroom where Michael Jackson's doctor Conrad Murray was found guilty in 2011 over the King of Pop's June 25, 2009 death.

The trial continues Wednesday.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options