Bato dela Rosa says he's ready for ICC drug war probe

·Contributor
·2 min read
FILE PHOTO: Former police chief turned senator Ronald
FILE PHOTO: Former police chief turned senator Ronald "Bato" dela Rosa poses between a photo of himself and President Rodrigo Duterte (R) during a Gun and Ammunition show at a mall in Mandaluyong City, Metro Manila, Philippines July 13, 2017. (Photo: REUTERS/Dondi Tawatao)

Presidential aspirant Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa said he is ready to face the International Criminal Court's (ICC) probe of the administration’s bloody drug war as then chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP).

"My only concern is that they (ICC) are fed with lies. They are ignorant of what is really happening in the country," the PDP Laban bet said on Wednesday (November 3).

In 2019, Amnesty International condemned the administration for its lack of accountability for the horrific drug war, which has claimed thousands of lives since Duterte took office in 2016. Police records show that more than 6,000 people have died in Duterte’s anti-drug operations since 2016. But local and human rights groups place casualties at between 12,000-30,000-many of which were allegedly deprived of "due process."

Dela Rosa also said that he will not back down from the candidacy to give way to both presidential candidate and administration ally Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos - unless his party asks him to do so.

"It's unlikely that will happen. He is not our party member but if the party tells me to withdraw and adopt BBM, there will be no problem for me," Dela Rosa said.

The law mandates that for a substitute to replace a candidate, they must be from the same party. Bato had previously said that he is willing to give way to presidential daughter Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio suddenly decides to run under their party as a substitute.

PDP-Laban president and Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi, however, earlier said that they have no plans to take the presidential daughter as a substitute.

Last October, election lawyer Romulo Macalintal said that Dela Rosa could be declared a nuisance candidate because of his willingness to step down, especially since the law allows it to be applied to those who have filed a certificate of candidacy without "bona fide intention" for candidacy.

Ana Catalina Paje is a development journalist passionate about grassroots communication geared towards genuine social change. She also writes about showbiz, lifestyle, and all things Pinoy pride. The views expressed are her own.

Watch more videos on Yahoo:

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting