Year-round gun ban in PHL sought

Citing the positive results of the election gun ban last year, a group on Tuesday suggested that the government enforce a year-round gun ban in the country.

In an interview with reporters, Gunless Society of the Philippines secretary-general Norman Cabrera proposed to the Senate that private individuals and even public officials be prohibited from being issued permits to carry firearms.

"The more we limit the movement (of firearms), the more we can control (them)," he said after the day's Senate public order committee's hearing on the proposed bills on the regulation of firearms.

With this, he said that they wish to finally ban guns from public places. He said only police and military personnel on duty should be allowed to carry firearms.

"Dito nakasalalay ang pagkakaroon natin ng mapayapa at maayos na lipunan," he said.

He issued the statement after two of presidential political adviser Ronald Llamas' bodyguards were found to have been carrying a high-powered firearm licensed to him in his absence.

Cabrera said that just like their proposal, Llamas should have just asked for security detail from the police or the military.

Senate bill

A bill filed by Sen. Franklin Drilon is proposing the same.

Under Senate Bill 129, individuals who are not members of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (PNP) and Philippine National Police (PNP), and other accredited law enforcement agencies shall be issued permits to carry.

It likewise says that it shall be unlawful for any public official to employ the services of security personnel who are not regular enlisted men and women of the AFP and PNP.

During the day's, Alyansang Bayanihan ng mga Magsasaka, Manggagawang-Bukid at Mangingisda (ABA) party-list Rep. Leonardo Montemayor noted that crimes went down during the 2010 election gun ban.

He specifically said that the number of crimes went down from half a million to 152,000 nationwide as compared to the same period in 2009.

Progun secretary general Ernesto Tabujara, however, opposed the gun ban.

Tabujara said that there are currently 1.3 million licensed gun owners in the country.

"We feel that there are already existing laws (for this), the problem is the proper implementation of the law," he said during the hearing.

He likewise said that it is the right of every citizen to protect themselves and their loved ones.

Separate licenses

The Association of Firearms and Ammunition Dealers of the Philippines (AFADP), meanwhile, proposed that the government just require separate licenses for guns and their owners.

"(We would like to) propose a radical change in the licensing of firearms. (We can) adopt the same system as the Land Transportation Office, (we can) license (the) individual and then you lincense the firearm," AFADP president Nerio Dionisio president said during the same hearing.

"If you are a licensed gun holder, you undergo ballistics so once you use that for a crime eventually it will lead to you... (so) a licensed gun holder will think twice before committing a crime with a gun," Dionisio said in a separate interview with reporters after the hearing.

He likewise said that his proposal will spare gun holders from having to repeatedly register their firearm.

"If you license the indvidual, let's say you license for two years, (the) burden on (the) applicant to produce the same requirements (will be lifted)," he said.

But aside from this, Dionisio's group also suggested during the hearing that gun owners register where their guns are being kept and where they practice marksmanship.

"That way you can track the movement of the firearms," he said.

He also proposed that owners granted permits to transport be required to store their firearms and ammos in separate places in the trunk of their vehicles.

"Any unregistered firearm will mean confiscation of the owner's (other) firearms," he said.

Raul Reyes, legal counsel of the Firearms Manufacturers of the Philippines, said that they are also in the process of formulating their own proposal on licensing of firearms.

Senator Gregorio Honasan, chair of the Senate committee on public order and illegal drugs, admitted that the current firearm licensing procedures are not enough.

He noted, however, that they will still have to study all the proposals made.

"Kailangan i-sort out ito ng committee. Ang daming inputs, ang daming variables so we would need time na pag-aralan yung submissions," he told reporters after Tuesday's hearing. — RSJ, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Indonesia informs drug convicts of execution
    Indonesia informs drug convicts of execution

    Indonesia said Saturday it had officially notified eight foreign drug convicts that they will be executed, prompting an appeal from United Nations chief Ban Ki-moon to spare the prisoners and suspend the death penalty. A Frenchman also on death row for drug-related crimes was granted a temporary reprieve after Paris stepped up pressure on Jakarta. The eight -- from Australia, Brazil, Nigeria and the Philippines -- have been transported to the high-security prison island of Nusakambangan where …

  • UN chief urges Indonesia to spare drug convicts from execution
    UN chief urges Indonesia to spare drug convicts from execution

    United Nations chief Ban Ki-moon appealed to Indonesia on Saturday to spare from impending execution a group of 10 death-row drug convicts, most of them foreigners. "The Secretary General appeals to the government of Indonesia to refrain from carrying out the execution, as announced, of 10 prisoners on death row for alleged drug-related crimes," a spokesman for Ban said. Earlier Saturday, Indonesia said it had officially notified eight foreign nationals convicted of drug crimes -- from …

  • AFP monitoring deployment of Chinese seaplanes in Spratlys
    AFP monitoring deployment of Chinese seaplanes in Spratlys

    The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is adopting a wait and see approach amid reports that China will soon deploy seaplanes to further strengthen its maritime claims in the disputed Spratlys. Brig. Gen. Joselito Kakilala, spokesman for the military and commander of the AFP Civil Relations Service, said they have yet to ascertain the real purpose behind China’s continuing aggressive moves in the region. “We will wait and see before coming up with an official stand,” Kakilala said when …

  • US eyes access to Phl bases in 8 locations
    US eyes access to Phl bases in 8 locations

    The United States has asked for access to Philippine military bases in eight locations to rotate troops, aircraft and ships as Washington shifts its forces to Asia and as China expands its military presence in the South China Sea. US Defense Secretary Ash Carter, in a speech in Arizona, has outlined Washington’s next phase in its Asia “pivot,” deploying its most sophisticated destroyers, bombers and fighters to the region. The Asia “pivot” has already seen US Marines rotating through the …

  • Washington bucks China’s aggressive actions
    Washington bucks China’s aggressive actions

    Short of condemning China’s aggressive actions in the West Philippine Sea, a senior US military official said Washington does not support any act of coercion and bullying. “We don’t stand for coercion, bullying and aggressiveness,” said Brig. Gen. Christopher Mahoney, assistant US military director for  Phl-US Joint Balikatan Exercises 2015. At the sidelines of this year’s joint military exercises’ static aircraft display held at Clark Air Base in Pampanga, Mahoney told a media briefing that …

  • ‘Giving Bangsamoro police control is constitutional’
    ‘Giving Bangsamoro police control is constitutional’

    The proposed grant to the chief minister of the envisioned Bangsamoro region of operational control over police forces in the area is consistent with the Constitution, a senior administration lawmaker said yesterday. Rep. Elpidio Barzaga Jr. of Dasmariñas City in Cavite made the statement to allay the fears of his colleagues that the proposal, contained in the draft Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL), would violate the Charter. It is clear in the proposed BBL that the Bangsamoro police will be part …

  • Noy off to KL for Asean meet
    Noy off to KL for Asean meet

    President Aquino will arrive here this afternoon with Manila hopeful of support from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to achieve peace and stability in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) as well as economic prosperity and inclusive growth among the people in the region. Philippine Ambassador to Malaysia Jose Eduardo Malaya III said that with respect to the dramatic developments in the South China Sea, Malaysian Foreign Minister Anifah Aman had called for the early …

  • Madrid Fusion Manila reignites Pinoy appetite for great food
    Madrid Fusion Manila reignites Pinoy appetite for great food

    After months of preparation and hard work from both the government and private sectors, the future of food is finally here in the country’s capital. Madrid Fusión Manila opened its doors on Friday to an international delegation who eagerly awaited the discussions of some of the most renowned and revered names in the culinary world. Madrid Fusión Manila is a historic gastronomic event marked by talks and exhibitions that showcases Spain and the Philippines’ shared cultural heritage, as well as …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options