Sabah Claim

Sabah, the "Land Below The Wind" because it lies south of the typhoon belt, is now buffeted by the winds of change propelled by the heirs of the Sultan of Sulu.

Impatient over the Philippine government's inaction to officially settle their claim to most of the eastern part of Sabah, Sultan Jamalul Kiram III, leading loyal followers of some 400 Sulu residents, some of whom are lightly armed, staked his claim to what he believes is land that belongs to his family.

They are now settled in Lahad Datu, demanding that they should not be expelled from Sabah, an area that the Philippines, on behalf of the heirs of the Sultanate of Sulu, had been trying to reclaim from Malaysia.

This conundrum is now bedeviling the Aquino administration, the fly in the ointment of what was supposed to be a peaceful resolution of the Mindanao conflict with the pending signing of the agreement with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).

In the '50s, the Philippine map includes a portion of north Borneo that is outlined but without any recognizable feature, "Terra Incognita," but part of the territory nonetheless since this area used to be under the Sulu Sultanate in the 1400s.

It is time once more to revisit the Borneo dispute for the edification of the younger generations who might not be aware of what this hoopla is all about.

On January 22, 1878, the Sultanate of Sulu and British commercial syndicate (Alfred Dent and Baron von Overbeck) signed an agreement, stipulating that North Borneo was either ceded or leased (depending on translation used) to the British syndicate in return for payment of 5,000 Malayan dollars per year.

On April 22, 1903, His Majesty, Sultan Jamalul Kiram, signed a document known as "Confirmation of cession of certain islands," under what he either "granted and ceded" or "leased" additional islands in the neighborhood of the mainland of North Borneo from Banggi Island to Sibuku Bay to British North Borneo Company.

The Malaysian Embassy in Manila continues to pay "cession money" to the heirs of the Sultanate of Sulu, amounting to R73, 940 or RM5300. This cession money is confirmed by the Malaysian Embassy in Manila and the heirs of the Sultanate of Sulu.

A British version of the agreement says the grant is ceded, while the Sulu version says it was a lease.

The key word in both the agreements was "padjak," which has been translated by American, Dutch, and Spanish linguists to mean "lease" or "arrendamiento."

The British nevertheless takes the word "padjak" to mean "grant and cede," according to Wikipedia.

"It can be argued however, that "padjak" means "mortgage" or "pawn" or even "wholesale," as per the contemporary meaning of "padjak" in Sulu.

This indicates that the agreement was actually a contract in which the Sultan of Sulu placed the land as mortgage/perpetual lease in return for a loan of 5,300 Malayan dollars per year in perpetuity.

To this day, although many Filipinos are mum on the matter, they blame British duplicity for giving Sabah back to Malaysia, a former colony and not to the Philippines.

During former President Diosdado Macapagal's watch, the territory of North Borneo, and the full sovereignty, title, and dominion over the territory were ceded by the then reigning Sultan of Sulu, HM Sultan Muhammad Esmail E. Kiram I, to the Republic of the Philippines.

The cession effectively gave the Philippine government the full authority to pursue their claim in international courts.

The Philippines broke diplomatic relations with Malaysia after the federation included Sabah in 1963 but probably resumed it unofficially through the Manila Accord.

In 1968, former President Ferdinand Marcos trained a team of saboteurs on Corregidor for infiltration into Sabah but the plan went awry. The soldiers, except one, were shot and the event became known as the Jabidah massacre.

Marcos dropped the claim but the aggrieved Malaysians insisted on an explicit, humiliating public renunciation that no Philippine president could meet their conditions, Wikipedia said.

Diplomatic ties were resumed in 1989 and during the time of President Fidel V. Ramos, the Sabah claim was relegated to the back burner in the interest of pursuing cordial economic and security relations with Kuala Lumpur.

On July 16, 2011, the Supreme Court ruled that the Philippine claim over Sabah is retained and may be pursued in the future.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

  • Project NOAH exec receives recognition
    Project NOAH exec receives recognition

    Project NOAH executive director and University of the Philippines professor Mahar Lagmay recently received recognition from the European Geosciences Union (EGU) for his work in disaster risk reduction and mitigation in the Philippines. …

  • Nightclub ban for US troops
    Nightclub ban for US troops

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said yesterday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipino he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow the 10-day annual military exercises, according to Capt. Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow
    US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening  defense alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China’s increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Palace defends legal tack in sea row
    Palace defends legal tack in sea row

    There is nothing weak about taking the legal and diplomatic approach to push for the country’s claims in the disputed West Philippine Sea, Malacañang maintained yesterday. On Friday, Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares led a rally in front of the Chinese consulate in Makati City to protest China’s massive reclamation activities in the Spratly island group to fortify its presence in the disputed waters. Colmenares also criticized the Philippine government for supposedly not doing enough to defend …

  • Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death
    Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death

    The sons of Mary Jane Veloso, who is facing execution in Indonesia for drug smuggling, yesterday appealed to government officials to do everything to spare their mother from death. “We love you,” Mark Daniel, 12, said when asked for a message for his mother following a press conference at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. Mark Daniel, an incoming Grade 8 student, reiterated his appeal to those in power to help save his mother from death. His younger brother, …

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options