Sad Christmas for Philippine flood victims

Tens of thousands of Philippine flood survivors queued for their Christmas meal in evacuation centres on Sunday, holiday spirits doused by thoughts of more than 2,000 dead or missing kin.

Eight days after devastating flash floods swept to sea entire communities from the southern island of Mindanao, officials said 328,000 people were relying on emergency aid.

Village chief Aurelio Magaro joined 422 other survivors from the rural hamlet of Digkilaan lining up for food in the courtyard of a school that was flattened by the overflowing Mandulog river.

"We have a sad Christmas this year, but we remain hopeful that we will recover," said Magaro, who told AFP he lost 15 relatives to rampaging floodwaters unleashed by tropical storm Washi on December 17.

"How can we celebrate Christmas? We have no money and our houses are gone," said an elderly woman in the queue, who like Magaro was temporarily sleeping at a nearby chapel.

A child sat on the drying mud nearby wearing a red-and-white Santa Claus-style bonnet, the only local reminder of Christmas in the mainly Roman Catholic country.

In nearby Cagayan de Oro, regional aid chief Ana Caneda told AFP her office was checking reports that one person had died at one of the evacuation centres there.

"Some of the evacuees are already health-compromised," she said, but added they preferred joining their families at the crowded camps rather than checking into hospital.

The official toll stood at 1,236 dead, said Benito Ramos, executive director of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.

Relatives listed more than 1,000 others as missing, though officials caution many of them could be among the many unclaimed and badly decomposed cadavers at overflowing local mortuaries.

More than 69,000 people were sheltering at evacuation centres and would probably need to be put up for months or more while the government built them relocation homes in flood- and landslide-free areas, Ramos said.

"This won't be accomplished in one month or even three or six months because of their sheer numbers," he told reporters, adding no suitable sites had been found in Iligan, the heaviest-hit area along with Cagayan de Oro.

Iligan health officer Levy Villarin told AFP city facilities including schools and gymnasiums were sheltering 57,000 people, including at least 5,000 who had lost their homes.

Others' dwellings had withstood the floods but were filled with mud and had to be cleaned before their inhabitants could go back, he added.

"Some of them do not want to return to their homes because of the traumatic experience that they suffered. They lost their relatives there," Villarin said.

He said the city had buried just a quarter of its 464 dead, a process slowed by delays in forensic work where DNA, fingerprints and dental imprints had to be taken before burial.

Even as newly recovered corpses continued to arrive the forensic team went home to Manila to spend Christmas with their families and will resume work on Monday, he said.

Three bodies were dug out of the mud in Iligan on Saturday, he said, while 17 more were washed ashore in the port city of Oroquieta, 65 kilometres (40 miles) away.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano
    Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano

    Government troops captured Sunday a bomb and weapons factory of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) announced yesterday. Col. Restituto Padilla, AFP spokesman, said the captured bomb and weapons factory is located inside an area controlled by radical Muslim cleric Ustadz Mohammad Ali Tambako at Barangay Dasikil in Mamasapano. …

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors
    No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
    How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say

    CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded. …

  • Recruitment firm accused of worldwide scam
    Recruitment firm accused of worldwide scam

    Filipinos aspiring to work overseas should avoid dealing with a recruitment agency that has duped jobseekers worldwide, Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz said yesterday. The National Bureau of Investigation has padlocked Global Visas Inc., which is based in Cebu. Baldoz said the agency’s parent company, ICS Global Visas Inc. based in the United Kingdom, has reportedly collapsed and left thousands of applicants without jobs.  “Global Visas was in the limelight this week, following its reported …

  • Lawmakers split on tax exemption for Pacquiao
    Lawmakers split on tax exemption for Pacquiao

    Colleagues of boxing champion Manny Pacquiao at the House of Representatives backed yesterday a proposal to exempt his earnings from his May 2 fight with American Floyd Mayweather from income tax. Internal Revenue Commissioner Kim Henares has urged Pacquiao to promptly pay taxes on his May 2 earnings, which are projected to reach at least $120 million (more than P5.2 billion). …

  • Woman with slain Putin critic says she didn't see his killer
    Woman with slain Putin critic says she didn't see his killer

    MOSCOW (AP) — The 23-year-old Ukrainian model who was with slain opposition leader Boris Nemtsov tearfully recounted Monday their last dinner in a chic Red Square restaurant and their walk onto a nearby bridge — but said she did not see the gunman who pulled the trigger. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options