Samsung Galaxy S III: Is it really an iPhone killer?

It's been hailed an 'iPhone killer' and the 'best smartphone ever made' - so can the Samsung Galaxy S III live up to the hype?

The keenly anticipated Samsung Galaxy S III


The S III boasts a whopping 4.8 inch high definition screen and runs the latest Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system.

The screen itself is designed to dwarf the iPhone's 3.5 inch high quality Retina display and opts for rival Super AMOLED technology to create the sharpest and most crisp images and colours.

But within hours of it being launched, the S III screen size had already split opinions, with some pundits arguing it was way too big for a phone. Others disagree, believing it will boost the quality of portable entertainment apps in the future.

The Galaxy doesn't have it all its own way either. Other notable iPhone rivals like the newly-released HTC One X has had decent reviews and acclaim, something that alongside the S III means Apple's handset and iOS software could be about to see its biggest challenge to date.

According to analysts Ovum, smartphones are the fastest growing segment of the mobile phone market, with ownership set to reach 1.7 billion handsets worldwide by 2017.

It is unsurprising, but none-the-less significant that Ovum's predictions show Android will become the dominant operating system over the next five years. Given that the iPhone is the only mobile to run iOS, it was never going to sustain the No1 position.



However, with Windows Phone and BlackBerry suffering hard times, Android does looks set to reap the benefits.

Adam Leach, principal analyst at Ovum, said: "Android will dominate the smartphone market over the next five years.

"While Apple has defined the smartphone market since it introduced the iPhone in 2007, we’re now seeing a sharp rise in the shipment volumes of Android, signalling its appeal to leading handset manufacturers."

In 2010, Android handsets represented just 17% of smartphones but last year that had risen to 44% with its share set to hit 48% in 2017. In 2017, it is said iOS will account for 27%, up from 23% in 2011.

This duopoloy could spell bad news for the other players in the market but Mr Leach does predict Windows Phone will grow and establish itself firmly over the next five year cycle.

The launch of the Samsung Galaxy S III - due to hit the streets on May 30 - is though a massive boost for Android, whether people choose to own that phone, or are simply encouraged to explore the software on another manufacturer's handset or one of Samsung's large Android range.

Ernest Doku, technology expert at uSwitch.com, isn't sure the Galaxy S III will be enough on its own to hit Apple too hard.

He said: "The S3 has some commendable new features but despite its Apple-esque, near-global launch I don't think this phone is set to be an iPhone killer. An iPhone maimer maybe, but not a killer. "

The Galaxy range has in the past showed Samsung is able to produce the kind of forward-thinking smartphones that leave Apple playing catch-up.




But with both companies releasing their devices months apart, it simply creates months of rumour and spin until ultimately, the newer handset has just enough up its sleeve to trump the other and steal the headlines and plaudits back.

For example, while the Galaxy has an 8 megapixel camera like the iPhone 4S, and the HTC One X, much is being said of its intelligent front-facing lens and voice controls.

Samsung say its  "main USP" is to "enhance the interaction between the device and its owner".

In short that means using the front camera to recognise a person's eyes are looking at the screen. This stops it from turning off. It's clever, but is it a killer feature?

The 'S Voice' system also aims to surpass Apple's Siri speech controls. You'll be able to tell it to snooze the alarm. But only a full-on test of the device in the coming weeks will prove just how good the voice recognition is for every day life.

Apple's Siri suffered from negative feedback over how useful it really is, despite a much-hyped launch.

Andy Griffiths, Managing Director of Samsung UK and Ireland, said: "Our aim with the Galaxy S III was to develop the best smartphone ever made, and by focusing on creating a unique user experience through superior hardware and enhanced usability we believe we have done just that.

"The Galaxy S III is packed with smart features that enable it to understand and respond to our actions providing the most seamless, natural and human-centric mobile experience."
 
Other features include the 'S Beam' to share files fast simply by touching another S III phone, HD video recording from the front camera and NFC technology, potentially for mobile payments, to future-proof it for when this takes off in Britain.

The Samsung Galaxy S III will be sold by all the major UK mobile phone networks with many already taking pre-orders.

Andrew Harrison, CEO of Carphone Warehouse, said: "Anticipation surrounding the Samsung Galaxy SIII launch has been huge, it’s one of the biggest launches of the year and marks an exciting and innovative new stage in the smartphone market."

Stuart Miles, of Pocket-Lint.com, added: "Samsung has achieved so much over the last couple of years going from a relativity small mobile phone player to the only one powerful enough to challenge Apple.

"The Samsung Galaxy S III has the ability to control the top end of the market, but Apple still hold all the chips when it comes to delivering what the everyday man needs.

"But the battle is far from over with plenty more handsets still set to challenge Samsung and the S III."
Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • McCain seeks defence funding to help Asia against China challenges
    McCain seeks defence funding to help Asia against China challenges

    By David Brunnstrom WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A leading U.S. senator has proposed that the United States provide hundreds of millions of dollars to help train and equip the armed forces of Southeast Asian countries faced with Chinese territorial challenges. Republican Senator John McCain, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, made the proposal in an amendment to the 2016 U.S. Defense Authorization Act expected to be passed later this year, entitled the South China Sea Initiative. It …

  • US missile cruiser docks at Subic
    US missile cruiser docks at Subic

    A US Navy missile cruiser has dropped anchor in Subic Bay as part of “routine port call,” amid rising tension in the West Philippine Sea stirred by China’s island building activities and other threatening moves by its forces. The arrival of the Ticonderoga-class missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG-67) at the Subic Bay Freeport in Olongapo City yesterday was “just a routine port visit for ship replenishment and routine maintenance of shipboard system,” said Philippine Navy Public Affairs Office …

  • Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño
    Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño

    The agriculture and power sectors, as well as the general public should brace for a prolonged El Niño phenomenon that could further reduce water supply for electricity and irrigation, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. Flaviana Hilario, acting deputy administrator for research and development of PAGASA, said the El Niño condition is expected to intensify from weak to moderate by August this year. Anthony Lucero, …

  • China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row
    China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row

    The US should help “cool down” the Philippines and realize that its meddling in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) dispute would only stir tensions, a Chinese newspaper reported. “Washington should know its meddling in the South China Sea has been destabilizing the region. The US has vowed not to take sides in the territorial dispute, which involves China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. …

  • No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests
    No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests

    K to 12 is the fruit of years of comprehensive consultations involving different sectors in education,” Aquino said during the launching of the program at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City. Organized by the Department of Education (DepEd), the launch was attended by teachers, students and representatives from different stakeholders supportive of the K to 12 program. It was held two years after the signing of Republic Act 10533, or the Enhanced Basic Education …

  • MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t
    MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t

    The Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) maintained its bid for completion of the tripartite review of the implementation of the peace agreement with the Philippine government in 1996. The MNLF’s desire to put consensual closure to the tripartite effort was relayed by its leaders to Sayed El-Masry, the special envoy of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), during the annual foreign ministers conference in Kuwait last Thursday. The MNLF peace agreement with the government in Sept. 2, …

  • Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe
    Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe

    President Aquino is expected to raise the West Philippine Sea dispute during his meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Japan next week. Aquino will leave for Tokyo on June 2 for a state visit until June 5. The President’s visit would boost relations between the two countries on all aspects including defense and security, according to Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary for Asian and Pacific Affairs Minda Cruz. …

  • CHED releases wrong data on tuition hike
    CHED releases wrong data on tuition hike

    The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) appears to have released erroneous data on the allowed tuition and other fee increases in Metro Manila for the incoming academic year. On the list of the 51 approved higher education institutions (HEI) allowed to impose hikes, CHED pegged the average increase in tuition at P32.34 per unit and the average increase in other fees at P34.79. However, a Philippine STAR re-computation showed that the actual average approved tuition increases in Metro …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options