Samsung shares plunge after Apple patent ruling

South Korea's Samsung sought Monday to rally employees after a $1.05 billion US court judgment in favour of arch-rival Apple pushed its shares sharply lower amid fears about the fallout in the key American market.

Samsung shares tumbled 7.5 percent, the biggest single-day percentage drop the electronics giant has seen in nearly four years, after a California jury last week said the firm had infringed on half a dozen patents held by Apple.

Shares of other Asian smartphone makers which run Google's Android operating system, the partial target of Apple's lawsuit, were also lower.

Analysts said the fine was not a major issue for Samsung, the world's biggest technology firm, but the jury verdict raised concerns about a possible ban on some US sales when the judge in the case makes her final ruling.

This was expected on September 20 but could be delayed.

The jury in San Jose, California decided Friday that Samsung "wilfully" infringed six Apple patents for smartphones or tablet PCs.

Samsung, in a blog message to staffers, said it was "very disappointed" at the ruling -- part of a legal battle in nine countries between the two technology titans.

But the company, which has announced it would contest the verdict, said it would "continue to do our utmost until our arguments have been accepted".

Samsung said courts in the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Germany and Korea had previously ruled it had not copied Apple's designs. Without naming its US rival, it decried the "outright abuse" of patent law.

"We trust that the consumers and the market will side with those who prioritise innovation over litigation, and we will prove this beyond doubt."

Analysts said the judge could later decide to triple the damages because jurors found Samsung acted "wilfully", and order a partial product ban.

If the ruling leads to a US sales ban on the Samsung products subject to dispute, said Hi Investment and Securities analyst Song Myung-Sup, it will start eroding the company's revenue from the fourth quarter.

Some analysts said the key point would be whether the patents battle spreads to Samsung's flagship Galaxy SIII phone.

The products ruled to have infringed Apple's patents are all older models. The jury did not make any recommendation about banning their future sale.

"Samsung's profit is expected to reach 7.5 trillion won during the third quarter. One trillion won (about one billion dollars) is not a problem for Samsung," said James Song of Daewoo Securities.

Song said the share plunge partly reflected fears that the popular Galaxy products would be banned from the US, and concern that the SIII and subsequent models could also be subject to litigation.

However, considering the design changes and other modifications, "it's unlikely that anyone will confuse the Galaxy series with the iPhone from now on".

Despite the strong reaction by stock market investors, Song said most of the models subject to a possible ban were not widely sold any more.

"I'm guessing about five percent or two million gadgets will be banned," he told AFP.

Daishin Securities analyst Jeff Kang said the US verdict would have no immediate impact on the worldwide operations of Samsung, which had an estimated 20 trillion won in cash reserves.

But US operations would be affected.

While the legal battle would continue, "Samsung could also opt to do business after paying royalties or unveil new models to avoid further suits".

-- Dow Jones Newswires contributed to this report --

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • ‘Next leader must not be newbie’
    ‘Next leader must not be newbie’

    Vice President Jejomar Binay believes the next president of the Philippines must have vast experience and a long track record in governance and in dealing with crises. “I am very much convinced that the local government is the best training ground for those who want to run for national government positions,” he said. Binay said he is determined to run for president in 2016 on the strength of his competence and track record. …

  • Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning
    Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning

    A suspect in the Maguindanao massacre case who had been examined at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) tested negative for poisoning, medical records released yesterday showed. However, the Quezon City court handling the multiple murder case resolved to isolate Police Officer 1 Pia Kamidon from the rest of the accused detained at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig for his safety. In a two-page order, Regional Trial Court Branch 221 assisting Judge Genie Gapas-Agbada ordered jail officials to …

  • ‘Homework first before Facebook’
    ‘Homework first before Facebook’

    President Aquino elicited laughter from students here as he reminded them to open books first before Facebook. “Finish your assignments first before making a raid in the Clash of Clans,” Aquino said, referring to a popular online game. In a speech during the turnover yesterday of two new three-story buildings at the Tarlac National High School, he said the government could only provide opportunities for learning but the rest of the work would be up to the students. The new school buildings …

  • Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement
    Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement

    President Aquino ended speculations yesterday and confirmed that Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina had indeed resigned as officer-in-charge of the Philippine National Police. As of this time, we are conducting various interviews and checks on the various candidates,” Aquino told reporters at the Tarlac National High School in Tarlac City. Aquino had kind words for Espina, saying that he stood by and defended the 44 slain police Special Action Force (SAF) commandos in the operation in …

  • Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation
    Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation

    President Aquino welcomed yesterday the Group of Seven industrialized countries’ expression of concern over rising tension in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, calling it a clear indication of the global scope of the problem ramped up by China’s massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. In Tarlac City where he led the turnover of new classrooms, Aquino told reporters that goodwill and not tension must prevail in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, where territorial …

  • DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12
    DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12

    The Department of Education (DepEd) has partnered with the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) in the first two years of implementation of the K to 12 program. “We will use TESDA centers as technical-vocational laboratories for senior high school,” DepEd Secretary Armin Luistro said during the inauguration of 30 new classrooms at the Tarlac National High School yesterday. The classrooms were constructed in partnership with the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. …

  • SE Asia Stocks-Philippine falls on foreign selling; others flat to weaker

    BANGKOK, April 17 (Reuters) - Southeast Asian stock markets ended flat to weaker on Friday as Philippine stocks slid on selling led by foreign funds and Singapore shares extended losses with investors ... …

  • Philippine Airlines parent says back in black
    Philippine Airlines parent says back in black

    Philippine Airlines' parent firm said it had returned to profitability, the first time in three years either entity reported being in the black for an entire year. In a filing with the Philippine Stock Exchange Thursday, PAL Holdings reported an after-tax net profit of 129.74 million pesos ($2.93 million) in its fiscal year to December 31. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options