San Jose subdivision closes gates, blocks residents

·2 min read

AROUND 200 families have been blocked access to the main road in Barangay San Jose, Cebu City after a subdivision in the barangay closed its gates, prohibiting the residents living at the back of the subdivision from passing the area.

San Jose Barangay Captain Joventino Ardaba said they are asking the developer and homeowners association in the subdivision to give them six more months to use the road inside the subdivision while they are still constructing the diversion road.

On Friday, Feb. 12, 2021, the fourth day since the gates of the subdivision had been closed, the affected residents held a protest outside the subdivision.

Court ruling

The homeowners in the subdivision reportedly closed its gates after a ruling from the court allowed them to do so.

Ardaba said the workers who own vehicles were also affected by the closure of the subdivision’s gates. They can no longer use their vehicles in going to work.

He said there are also vehicles left inside the subdivision—around 10 four-wheeled vehicles and 50 motorcycles.

Ardaba said he is concerned for the motorcycle owners who work in the food delivery service.

Meeting

The village chief said he called for another meeting with the developer and homeowners association to resolve the problem.

Jerome Dimayuga, a lot owner, said the residents have been following the conditions set by the homeowners association in the subdivision so they can go inside.

Dimayuga said the persons who pass the area have to pay toll and buy stickers.

Cebu City Vice Mayor Michael Rama has visited the area twice, but the homeowners association did not face him.

In a Facebook Live broadcast, City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management officer-in-charge Ramil Ayuman said the matter has reached the city.

Ayuman said City Administrator Floro Casas Jr. said the City will help the residents and the barangay to come up with a win-win solution. (JJL)