TO PROMOTE transparency, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has started posting the beneficiaries’ names of the social amelioration program (SAP) on the websites of its field offices.
Several DSWD field offices have been preparing the lists of the paid beneficiaries for posting on their websites, all of which can be accessed through dswd.gov.ph.
The websites’ features include the lists of SAP beneficiaries in the provincial, municipal and barangay levels. The public can navigate the websites with ease by using the search and filter functions.
In a press statement, the DSWD said publishing the lists containing SAP beneficiaries’ names allows the public to know who received the assistance and scrutinize whether these beneficiaries are qualified for the aid based on the eligibility criteria contained in the guidelines of the program.
The public may report to the DSWD’s grievance redress system the unqualified beneficiaries. The grievances related to the SAP implementation will be managed and monitored by the DSWD central office-operations center through its round-the-clock hotlines: 16545, 09474822864, 09162471194 and 09329333251. The public can also send text messages to 09189122813 and email at email@example.com.
Heeding the requests of several local executives to extend the April 30 SAP distribution deadline, the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) gave local government units with dense population until Thursday, May 7, 2020 to complete their SAP distribution.
Under Republic Act 11469 (the Bayanihan to Heal as One Act), the SAP aims to mitigate the effects of the coronavirus disease 2019 by giving P6,000 in cash assistance.
On Monday, May 4, some residents of Barangay Subangdaku, Mandaue City gathered at the City Hall, hoping their names would be included in the SAP list. The Mandaue City Treasurer’s Office started distributing SAP to the beneficiaries on the same day.
Subangdaku resident Nancy Diongson, 42, a mother of three children, said her family was not included in the list of beneficiaries. Diongson and her husband have been out of work since March.
Diongson went to the Subangdaku barangay hall, and she asked for a clarification for the exclusion of her family from the list. She was referred to the DSWD, which she said forwarded her to the Department of Labor and Employment (Dole) as she was a displaced worker.
She then consulted her employer, who told her that an application for financial assistance had been submitted to the Dole. However, the labor agency did not approve it as it has no more funds, she was told.
Diongson said her family often paired rice with salt, adding that she and her husband have no other means of income to buy viand.
Single parent Cherry Rose Olegario, 23, accompanied Diongson to the City Hall, saying she needs the SAP cash aid to feed her seven-month-old and four-year-old children.
Olegario’s work in a milk tea shop was suspended when the enhanced community quarantine was implemented. She felt hopeful that she would receive help after she accomplished the SAP form, but she was disappointed after learning that her name was excluded in the final list.
Subangdaku Barangay Captain Ernie Manatad said they endorsed 1,600 residents as SAP beneficiaries, but only 1,354 were approved by the DSWD.
Purok leaders who do not work for the government were tasked to do the listing to avoid suspicion that Manatad’s supporters were prioritized.
He said his office published the names of the beneficiaries on the barangay’s official Facebook page, so his constituents can protest against beneficiaries they deemed not qualified to receive the cash aid.
Manatad said he received complaints against persons listed as SAP beneficiaries. He will forward the names to DSWD for validation.
In Cebu City, 27 barangays have submitted lists of SAP beneficiaries. Based on the list of the Department of Social Welfare and Services (DSWS), seven barangays have submitted complete lists of beneficiaries; these are Agsungot, Guba, Kalubihan, Malubog, Pung-ol Sibugay, Sapangdaku and Sudlon 2. Incomplete lists were submitted by the villages of Kalunasan, Taptap, Pit-os, Punta Princesa, San Jose, Binaliw, Kasambagan, Parian, Bacayan, Budlaan, Pahina San Nicolas, Sta. Cruz, Day-as, Pulangbato, Basak Pardo, Guadalupe, Tinago, Tagbao, Zapatera and Sudlon 1.
Ten barangays have yet to submit either partial or complete lists of beneficiaries. These are Bulacao, Tisa, Quiot, Capitol Site, Sambag 1, Talamban, Mabolo, Duljo Fatima, San Roque, San Nicolas Proper and Busay.
DILG Cebu City Director Ian Kenneth Lucero said the funds for the beneficiaries will be downloaded to the barangays’ bank accounts and the barangay officials will distribute the cash aid to the beneficiaries.
In a separate interview, Monina Paires of the Cebu City Treasurer’s Office said the funds will be downloaded to the bank accounts of the seven barangays that already have complete lists of beneficiaries.
Cebu City has 122,974 beneficiaries in 80 barangays, while Mandaue City has 55,775 beneficiaries in 27 barangays. These beneficiaries belong to the low-income classification. (KFD & PAC)