Saudi Arabia cuts Hajj Quota for foreign pilgrims by 20 percent

Manila, Philippines --- Hajj 2013 is expected to be a little less crowded after the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia slashed foreign pilgrims by 20 percent and domestic pilgrims by 50 percent.

Figures showed 3,161,000 Musliment on the pilgrimage in 2012, with about a million of them from the Kingdom.

Each country has a hajj quota of 1,000 pilgrims per one million Muslim population.

Official figures for the Philippines had 6,000 pilgrims in 2012, based on the National Commission on Muslim Filipinos (NCMF).

NCMF Secretary Mehol K.Sadain told the Manila Bulletin yesterday Filipino pilgrims will not be affected by the hajj cuts, indicating the Philippines has not once reached its 12,000 quota.

The Saudi government cut the hajj quota because of the massive expansion work being done at the Masjidil Haram (Grand Mosque) in Mecca.

Expansion is being implemented at the mosque's "mataf" (circumambulation area around the Ka'aba), to increase its per hour capacity from 39,000 to over 130,000 pilgrims.

Hajj Minister Mohammad bin Bandar Hajjar said Sunday the reduction of "the numbers of pilgrims at home by 50 percent and abroad by 20 percent is exceptional and temporary until the completion of the expansionist projects at the Holy Sites."

Meanwhile, the Kingdom also urged pilgrims, particularly the repeaters, to postpone their hajj until the mataf's expansion is completed in about two years to prevent congestion and deadly stampedes.

As this developed, the Saudi hajj ministry announced Monday that four more people succumbed to the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-Cov).

MERS-CoV has been likened to the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) that spread across the world in 2003, killing 775 people.

A Saudi Gazette news report said the MERS-CoV killed two persons in Taif while the other two fatalities were traced in the Eastern Province.

The report said three new persons also fell ill due to the SARS' "distant relative."
It is not yet known how the MERS-CoV crisis might affect this year's hajj.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • ‘Next leader must not be newbie’
    ‘Next leader must not be newbie’

    Vice President Jejomar Binay believes the next president of the Philippines must have vast experience and a long track record in governance and in dealing with crises. “I am very much convinced that the local government is the best training ground for those who want to run for national government positions,” he said. Binay said he is determined to run for president in 2016 on the strength of his competence and track record. …

  • Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning
    Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning

    A suspect in the Maguindanao massacre case who had been examined at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) tested negative for poisoning, medical records released yesterday showed. However, the Quezon City court handling the multiple murder case resolved to isolate Police Officer 1 Pia Kamidon from the rest of the accused detained at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig for his safety. In a two-page order, Regional Trial Court Branch 221 assisting Judge Genie Gapas-Agbada ordered jail officials to …

  • ‘Homework first before Facebook’
    ‘Homework first before Facebook’

    President Aquino elicited laughter from students here as he reminded them to open books first before Facebook. “Finish your assignments first before making a raid in the Clash of Clans,” Aquino said, referring to a popular online game. In a speech during the turnover yesterday of two new three-story buildings at the Tarlac National High School, he said the government could only provide opportunities for learning but the rest of the work would be up to the students. The new school buildings …

  • Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement
    Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement

    President Aquino ended speculations yesterday and confirmed that Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina had indeed resigned as officer-in-charge of the Philippine National Police. As of this time, we are conducting various interviews and checks on the various candidates,” Aquino told reporters at the Tarlac National High School in Tarlac City. Aquino had kind words for Espina, saying that he stood by and defended the 44 slain police Special Action Force (SAF) commandos in the operation in …

  • Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation
    Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation

    President Aquino welcomed yesterday the Group of Seven industrialized countries’ expression of concern over rising tension in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, calling it a clear indication of the global scope of the problem ramped up by China’s massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. In Tarlac City where he led the turnover of new classrooms, Aquino told reporters that goodwill and not tension must prevail in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, where territorial …

  • DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12
    DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12

    The Department of Education (DepEd) has partnered with the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) in the first two years of implementation of the K to 12 program. “We will use TESDA centers as technical-vocational laboratories for senior high school,” DepEd Secretary Armin Luistro said during the inauguration of 30 new classrooms at the Tarlac National High School yesterday. The classrooms were constructed in partnership with the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. …

  • SE Asia Stocks-Philippine falls on foreign selling; others flat to weaker

    BANGKOK, April 17 (Reuters) - Southeast Asian stock markets ended flat to weaker on Friday as Philippine stocks slid on selling led by foreign funds and Singapore shares extended losses with investors ... …

  • Philippine Airlines parent says back in black
    Philippine Airlines parent says back in black

    Philippine Airlines' parent firm said it had returned to profitability, the first time in three years either entity reported being in the black for an entire year. In a filing with the Philippine Stock Exchange Thursday, PAL Holdings reported an after-tax net profit of 129.74 million pesos ($2.93 million) in its fiscal year to December 31. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options