Scolari set to return at 'Cold War' Brazil

Luiz Felipe Scolari is poised to return as manager of the Brazilian national team on Thursday, but his appointment has provoked a divided reaction at the home of the 2014 World Cup hosts.

An official announcement on Scolari, who coached Brazil to their fifth World Cup title in Japan in 2002, is expected on Thursday.

"We have to have someone who can face up to the pressure of the post," said Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) president Jose Maria Marin, who refused to confirm that Scolari was the new coach.

"Will there be a coach for Brazil at the Confederations Cup draw on Saturday?," asked a journalist.

"I would like you to ask me that question tomorrow, there will be a announcement at 11 o'clock (Brazil time) on Thursday at the headquarters of the CBF in Rio. We will be discussing the new coach and the future of the Brazil team," replied Marin.

The 64-year-old Scolari is available after recently parting company with Palmeiras.

But the decision to bring him back sparked differing responses from ex-stars including Zico and Carlos Alberto.

Zico, who earlier announced he had resigned as coach of the Iraqi national team blaming a dispute over his contract, said he was pleased, and welcomed the decision to have Carlos Alberto Parreira, Brazil's winning coach at the 1994 World Cup, as technical director.

"Felipao has won so many titles he has to be respected -- and the two of them together have international experience and competence so I can only wish them luck," said Zico.

Former skipper Carlos Alberto, who lifted the 1970 World Cup after starring in the 4-1 Pele-inspired thrashing of Italy, struck a note of discord, however.

"I don't know that this is Felipao's moment. He won in 2002 -- but that was 2002! This year he bombed out at Palmeiras (relegated shortly after Scolari quit)."

"There are other coaches who are better equipped for the job right now -- such as Titye, Muricy and (former coach) Vanderlei Luxemburgo."

"But with regard to Parreira, he knows everything," Carlos Alberto acknowledged.

The CBF sacked Mano Menezes last week after just two years in the job, with the Selecao having lost in the quarter-finals of last year's Copa America and then going down to Mexico in the Olympic Games final in London.

Five-times world champions Brazil are eager that the new man should use next year's Confederations Cup to blood new stars ahead of the 2014 World Cup.

In his first stint as Brazil manager, Scolari was forgiven for a pale Confederations Cup showing in 2001 after he led the Selecao to the World Cup win in Japan the following year.

He later coached Portugal and led them to the final of Euro 2004 on home soil before a disastrous spell with Chelsea in 2008.

Despite former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola being linked with the job, Marin has gone on record as saying that a Brazilian ought to be found who knows exactly what the job entails.

Asked about potential choices and having previously said he would wait until January before deciding on his man, Marin said: "I have faith in our Brazilian coaches.

"We won five (world) titles with them. That's why it would be very difficult to call in a foreigner," A Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper quoted Marin as saying on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Parreira insisted that everyone should get behind Scolari, telling Brazilian media: "It's time to put other problems aside and focus on winning the World Cup."

The "other problems" include in-fighting at the CBF where Marin and former selections chief Andres Sanchez were in open conflict after the latter said the organisation were wrong to sack Menezes.

The Folha de Sao Paulo daily on Wednesday said a "Cold War" had descended on the organisation before Sanchez, angry to have been left out of the loop both on the Menezes' dismissal and the decision to re-appoint Scolari, quit his post.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options