THE Cebu City Government will allow registered senior citizens to issue authorization letters to their next of kin as a way to claim their P3,000 cash assistance.
Cebu City Administrator Floro Casas Jr. implemented the measure as a way to protect senior citizens from being infected with Covid-19 especially while the city is still under general community quarantine (GCQ).
Casas disclosed that on Wednesday, June 10, 2020, the ongoing distribution of the cash aid for senior citizens was temporarily halted when heavy rains hit the city.
City officials were forced to transfer to the New Cebu Coliseum on Sanciangko St. for the distribution, with most of the remaining senior citizens transported there by bus.
Casas said, “Our senior citizens unexpectedly flocked to the Cebu City Hall this morning to claim their financial assistance. Most, if not all, are residing outside Cebu City (temporarily or otherwise) when the financial assistance was distributed by Cebu City Government personnel house-to-house last week.”
Due to this, the Cebu City government has issued authorization letters to qualified senior citizens so they can claim their cash aid without the need to be there in person.
“Again, for the safety and comfort of our senior citizens, the financial assistance may be claimed by the duly authorized representative of the senior citizen,” Casas said.
A copy of the authorization letter can be downloaded from the Facebook page of the Office of Senior Citizens Affairs Cebu City.
Even if qualified senior citizens cannot claim the cash aid, they are still given 10 days to claim the amount once the GCQ status in Cebu City is lifted. (PAC, JKV)