Murray, Sharapova weather Wimbledon wash-out

Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic and Maria Sharapova survived severe disruption at the Olympic tennis Sunday as hail and heavy rain forced the competition indoors for the first time in 100 years.

The three gold medal contenders were among just a handful of winners after downpours washed out much of the day's play at Wimbledon and closed the Centre Court roof.

Olympic tennis had not been played indoors since Stockholm 1912, but Murray and Sharapova shrugged off the chaos as both enjoyed the first Olympic wins of their careers.

Britain's Murray beat Switzerland's Stanislas Wawrinka 6-3, 6-3 and French Open champion Sharapova thrashed Israel's Shahar Peer 6-2, 6-0. Serbia's Djokovic, the second seed, beat Fabio Fognini of Italy 6-7 (7/9), 6-2, 6-2.

It was a cathartic victory for Murray, who was back on Centre Court for the first time since crying tears of frustration after his Wimbledon defeat against Roger Federer exactly three weeks ago.

The 25-year-old, who had hoped to become the first British man to win Wimbledon since Fred Perry in 1936, brushed aside Federer's compatriot to set up a last-32 clash with Finland's Jarkko Nieminen or India's Somdev Devvarman.

Murray admitted he had been keen not to repeat his first round exit in Beijing at the hands of Taiwan's Lu Yen-Hsun.

"I was disappointed with the way I played in Beijing. I didn't understand what the Olympics meant to me," he said.

"I know how much that loss hurt me and I wanted to come here as well prepared as I could be. Today was a good start."

For Sharapova, beating Peer meant more than just a place in the last 32 as the Russian finally got to savour a taste of the Olympic experience -- as she chases a career "Golden Slam" of all four grand slam titles and Games gold.

Sharapova missed Beijing 2008 with a shoulder injury and the world number three looked determined to make up for lost time as she reached the second round for the loss of just two games.

The 25-year-old, who carried her country's flag at the Games' spectacular opening ceremony at the Olympic Park on Friday, will play Britain's Laura Robson or Lucie Safarova of the Czech Republic for a last 16 berth.

"It was incredible to finally start the Olympics," Sharapova said. "I've certainly been waiting for this moment since I was a little girl so it was nice to get a win in my first Olympic match.

"It took many years to get here so it's pretty special. It was a big moment for me."

Fourth seed David Ferrer progressed in between the showers on Court Two, the Spaniard beating Canada's Vasek Pospisil 6-4, 6-4, while French fifth seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, twice a Wimbledon semi-finalist, had to dig deep before defeating Brazil's Thomaz Bellucci 6-7 (5/7), 6-4, 6-4 under the roof.

Meanwhile, world number two Agnieszka Radwanska endured more Centre Court woe as the Polish second seed was beaten 7-5, 6-7 (5/7), 6-4 by Germany's Julia Goerges, less than a month after her Wimbledon final defeat to Serena Williams.

Despite the heavy rain, tournament organisers are confident the weather won't disrupt the schedule.

"There's no reason to panic. The first two rounds are spread over two days each so there's plenty of time to catch up," venue media manager John Dolan told AFP.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • 15 wounded in 2 explosions in restive southern Philippines

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — At least 15 people have been wounded in two separate blasts that hit a police camp in a restive southern Philippine province where Muslim militants operate, police said Saturday. …

  • 15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp
    15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp

    Fifteen people including 10 police officers were wounded in an attack on a mosque at police camp on a remote Philippine island long plagued by Islamic militancy, officials said on Saturday. Successive blasts targeted the mosque inside Camp Kasim on the island of Jolo early evening Friday -- an initial grenade attack followed by a bomb explosion less than 10 minutes later that was intended to target police who rushed to the scene, local authorities said. "It seems the (first) explosion was set …

  • US missile cruiser docks at Subic
    US missile cruiser docks at Subic

    A US Navy missile cruiser has dropped anchor in Subic Bay as part of “routine port call,” amid rising tension in the West Philippine Sea stirred by China’s island building activities and other threatening moves by its forces. The arrival of the Ticonderoga-class missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG-67) at the Subic Bay Freeport in Olongapo City yesterday was “just a routine port visit for ship replenishment and routine maintenance of shipboard system,” said Philippine Navy Public Affairs Office …

  • Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño
    Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño

    The agriculture and power sectors, as well as the general public should brace for a prolonged El Niño phenomenon that could further reduce water supply for electricity and irrigation, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. Flaviana Hilario, acting deputy administrator for research and development of PAGASA, said the El Niño condition is expected to intensify from weak to moderate by August this year. Anthony Lucero, …

  • China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row
    China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row

    The US should help “cool down” the Philippines and realize that its meddling in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) dispute would only stir tensions, a Chinese newspaper reported. “Washington should know its meddling in the South China Sea has been destabilizing the region. The US has vowed not to take sides in the territorial dispute, which involves China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. …

  • No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests
    No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests

    K to 12 is the fruit of years of comprehensive consultations involving different sectors in education,” Aquino said during the launching of the program at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City. Organized by the Department of Education (DepEd), the launch was attended by teachers, students and representatives from different stakeholders supportive of the K to 12 program. It was held two years after the signing of Republic Act 10533, or the Enhanced Basic Education …

  • MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t
    MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t

    The Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) maintained its bid for completion of the tripartite review of the implementation of the peace agreement with the Philippine government in 1996. The MNLF’s desire to put consensual closure to the tripartite effort was relayed by its leaders to Sayed El-Masry, the special envoy of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), during the annual foreign ministers conference in Kuwait last Thursday. The MNLF peace agreement with the government in Sept. 2, …

  • Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe
    Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe

    President Aquino is expected to raise the West Philippine Sea dispute during his meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Japan next week. However, there is no word yet if the Philippines will specifically ask Tokyo to join calls for China to stop its massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. Aquino will leave for Tokyo on June 2 for a state visit until June 5. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options