Signature drive vs political dynasties to be launched in February

A signature campaign for a people's initiative against political dynasties is set to be launched in February next year, months before the May 2013 midterm elections. Norman Cabrera, secretary general of Ang Kapatiran Party, the group that will spearhead the campaign, announced this on Thursday during their planning conference for their "Kilusan ng 99 percent (K99)" drive. “At the end of the day, ang isang sitwasyon na kinahaharap ng isang botante ay isang sitwasyon na wala siyang choice kundi iboto ang mga candidates who are all members of political dynasties. Isang realidad 'yan," Cabrera said. The Commission on Elections (Comelec) is now working on the form of the petition for their initiative drive, Cabrera said.

The group forwarded to the Comelec a letter of request for the petition last August. The poll body's law department, in response, informed them the en banc will tackle it next week. Ready by February “That means we anticipate that by December or at the latest January, Comelec should have prescribed the form… We should be able to launch the signature campaign by February,” Cabrera told GMA News Online after the hearing. A people's initiative is to a constitutional method of amending the Constitution or a law through a signature campaign and a referendum. Under Republic Act 6735 or the Initiative and Referendum Act of 1989, private citizens can push for national legislation by having it signed by at least 10 percent of all registered voters and at least three percent in every legislative district. Once the petition is filed with the Comelec, a referendum must be held within 45 to 90 days. According to the book “In Search of Credible Elections and Parties: The Philippine Paradox” by UP Prof. Temario Rivera, a political clan is defined as "having at least two members of the same family who have won political positions from 1987 to 2010; and an individual who have won at least three times who have relatives who have been previously elected in the post-war period." The Philippine Constitution prohibits political dynasties as enabled by law, but Congress has yet to pass an anti-political dynasty law. Cabrera said that with institutional support they should finish the campaign by March or April.

“Government privatization” Kapatiran president JC Delos Reyes, the party’s senatorial candidate for the 2013 elections, said political dynasties “privatize” the government. “Political dynasties are government privatization at its best,” said Delos Reyes, an unsuccessful presidential aspirant in the 2010 elections. “For the past five presidents, they desecrated the Constitution by allowing their family members to run or to hold office just because there is no enabling law.” He described the political system dominated by major political parties and its political dynasties as a "dictatorship." "It’s a dictatorship – Binay, Erap, Noynoy, Enrile – lahat sila d'yan. They dictate the party. They buy the party," Delos Reyes said. Delos Reyes, however, admitted that he too belongs to a political family. His mother, Barbara Delos Reyes, is the sister of former Senator Richard Gordon, who also ran for president in 2010. The Gordons are a political family in Olongapo. "By the way, I am from a dynasty... Ang kaibahan, way back 1995 I could have been mayor, I could have been whatever there (Olongapo). I chose to organize way back a political party that is anti-dynasty," Delos Reyes said. He said he has already “rejected” his family roots. “Long before, I have rejected my family and embraced an anti-political party.”

“The difference between my family and me is that they allow our relatives to run for office. I am ashamed of that,” Delos Reyes added. He also said he no longer talks or deals with the Gordon family. — Marc Jayson Cayabyab/KBK, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Muslim group calls for universal peace
    Muslim group calls for universal peace

    As predominantly Catholic Philippines and the rest of the Christian world observe the Holy Week, peace advocates like the Young Muslim Professionals Network (YMPN) are appealing to Filipinos of various creeds and persuasion to embrace the universal message of kindness, love and peace. The group issued the call as peace negotiations between the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front teeter due to the Mamasapano incident where members of the rebel group killed 44 police commandos on a …

  • Ex-WB exec pushes BBL passage
    Ex-WB exec pushes BBL passage

    A former World Bank official has warned of dire consequences for the Philippines if the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) is not passed into law. Nigel Roberts, former director on conflict, security and development, said that more conflict could occur without the BBL. “It takes about 15 years to get back to pre-conflict GDP growth rates, and 20 years for trade to recover,” Roberts said in his blog at the World Bank website. The World Bank estimated that economic losses amounted to $10 …

  • Despite typhoon, summer is here
    Despite typhoon, summer is here

    Super Typhoon Chedeng roared toward Luzon as the weather bureau announced the official start of summer in the country yesterday. The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) announced yesterday the official start of the dry or summer season in the country due to the termination of the cold northeast monsoon. “The general public is advised to take precautionary measures to minimize heat stress and take note of the need in optimizing the daily use of …

  • Noy told: Just answer the questions
    Noy told: Just answer the questions

    Just answer the 20 questions. The Makabayan bloc of seven party-list representatives made this appeal to President Aquino yesterday after his spokesman claimed the Chief Executive has already answered most of the questions posed by the militant lawmakers regarding the Mamasapano incident. For instance, he said the President has not yet explained why he allowed then suspended Philippine National Police chief Director General Alan Purisima to take the lead in Oplan Exodus or the mission to …

  • DFA: Malaysia paying rent for Sabah
    DFA: Malaysia paying rent for Sabah

    Malaysia does not acknowledge the Philippine claim over Sabah but the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) maintained yesterday that the Malaysian government is paying rent for Sabah, indicating it rightfully belongs to the Philippines. The Malay Mail Online reported that Malaysian Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Anifah Aman said Malaysia has not and does not acknowledge the Philippine claim over Sabah when asked by media about the reported offer of the Philippine government to downgrade its Sabah …

  • 63 OFWs returning from Yemen
    63 OFWs returning from Yemen

    Sixty-three overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are set to return home from war-torn Yemen, Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz said yesterday. Baldoz said the licensed recruiters of the OFWs have assured the government of their immediate repatriation. Administrator Hans Cacdac of the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration has ordered the recruitment agencies to fulfill their obligation to bring home the OFWs. Baldoz called on Filipinos still in Yemen to avail themselves of the government’s …

  • Jinggoy gets furlough for shoulder checkup
    Jinggoy gets furlough for shoulder checkup

    Despite opposition from ombudsman lawyers, the Sandiganbayan yesterday granted detained Sen. Jinggoy Estrada’s request to undergo a medical checkup at the Cardinal Santos Memorial Hospital. Estrada was allowed to undergo a medical examination for pain in his left shoulder from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. The senator was ordered to shoulder the expenses incurred by the Philippine National Police in  escorting him. In a pleading filed Monday with the anti-graft court’s Fifth Division, Estrada’s lawyers …

  • Tekken’s Josie Rizal gets flak
    Tekken’s Josie Rizal gets flak

    A professor of the University of the Philippines yesterday hit the portrayal of a Filipino character, whose name was based on Jose Rizal, in a Japanese-produced video game. “(It’s) offensive and unsuited for a big company like Bandai because they have the money to do research,” Gonzalo Campoamor II, professor of Life and Works of Rizal in UP Diliman, told The STAR. Japanese giant Namco Bandai recently introduced Josie Rizal, the first Filipino character in the popular fighting game franchise …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options