Sinkhole also a wake-up call for officials

CEBU CITY – Cornelia Tines looks out the window every night, unable to sleep since the day a sinkhole appeared on a farm 50 meters away from their house. Her fears grew when a pool of water appeared at the bottom of the hole.

“Ang akong kahadlukan kay basin musulbong ang tubig (What I fear is that the water may rise),” said the 44-year-old mother of six. Their house is located on a hill overlooking the farm.

“Kung molunop, usa gyud me sa akong pamilya sa mangamatay. Simbako lang (If a flash flood occurs, I and my family will be among the casualties. God forbid).”

On Monday, geologist Abraham Lucero Jr. of the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) Central Visayas inspected the sinkhole in Barangay Camboang, Dumanjug town.

When it was discovered by the farm’s caretaker last Thursday, the sinkhole was just the size of a big cauldron. It was 10 by 8.5 meters wide and 3.5 meters deep on Monday.

Lucero, MGB’s senior science research specialist, warned the sinkhole may still get bigger.

The sinkhole, he said, may have occurred when the roof of an underground cave collapsed after the magnitude 6.9 earthquake last February 6 and the rain last week.

“It’s a natural phenomenon in areas where the rock formation is limestone,” Lucero said.

According to MGB, approximately 70 percent of the total land area of Cebu is covered by limestone materials.

The water coming out of the sinkhole in Barangay Camboang, Lucero pointed out, could be an indication of an underground river.

Some residents also reported the presence of a small hole on the shore in Barangay Looc, which is near the town proper. Hot water, they said, flows out of the hole.

Onlookers

Lucero said residents noticed it two days after the earthquake last February 6. The geologist, however, was not able to see the reported hole because it was high tide.

The geologist recommended that local officials put a fence around the sinkhole in Barangay Camboang to keep onlookers away. The presence of onlookers puts more pressure on the ground.

Dumanjug Mayor Nelson Garcia said he will order a barbed wire screen around the sinkhole, which swallowed a small mango tree and a wooden post. He also asked the village chief to have the area monitored by tanods 24 hours a day.

The farm, owned by a Swedish national married to a Cebuana, is five meters away from barangay road and one kilometer from the national highway.

Walter Pesalbon, the farm’s 36-year-old caretaker since 2007, said the hole was the size of a cauldron when he discovered it Thursday afternoon.

He blamed the earthquake and the rain for the formation of the sinkhole.

Lucero said the exact situation underground can be determined through a ground penetrating radar system, a technology the MGB lacks. The equipment, he said, is available in Manila.

Eye-opener

Mayor Garcia said the MGB, an attached agency of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, should bring the equipment to Cebu, so the area can be assessed thoroughly.

“We want to know how far this hole will go so that we in Dumanjug will be prepared,” he told Lucero. “There is an urgent necessity for you to bring the equipment as soon as possible.”

Garcia said Cebu City and the province should purchase the equipment, given that the island is made mostly of limestone.

“This is an eye-opener for the city and the province,” he said.

On Monday, many curious onlookers gathered around the sinkhole. The police had put a yellow line around it. A man selling boiled peanuts took advantage of the crowd.

A group of old residents huddled near a small mango tree, two meters away from the hole.

“Karon pa ko ani kakita (It’s my first time to see something like this),” said 72-year-old Celso Alpuerto, who lives 100 meters away from the sinkhole.

He was born and raised in the village. The earthquake last February 6, he said, was the strongest he has ever felt.

“Matapos na ta ini tingali (Maybe our time is near),” he said. (Sun.Star Cebu)

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • 15 wounded in 2 explosions in restive southern Philippines

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — At least 15 people have been wounded in two separate blasts that hit a police camp in a restive southern Philippine province where Muslim militants operate, police said Saturday. …

  • 15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp
    15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp

    Fifteen people including 10 police officers were wounded in an attack on a mosque at police camp on a remote Philippine island long plagued by Islamic militancy, officials said on Saturday. Successive blasts targeted the mosque inside Camp Kasim on the island of Jolo early evening Friday -- an initial grenade attack followed by a bomb explosion less than 10 minutes later that was intended to target police who rushed to the scene, local authorities said. "It seems the (first) explosion was set …

  • US missile cruiser docks at Subic
    US missile cruiser docks at Subic

    A US Navy missile cruiser has dropped anchor in Subic Bay as part of “routine port call,” amid rising tension in the West Philippine Sea stirred by China’s island building activities and other threatening moves by its forces. The arrival of the Ticonderoga-class missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG-67) at the Subic Bay Freeport in Olongapo City yesterday was “just a routine port visit for ship replenishment and routine maintenance of shipboard system,” said Philippine Navy Public Affairs Office …

  • Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño
    Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño

    The agriculture and power sectors, as well as the general public should brace for a prolonged El Niño phenomenon that could further reduce water supply for electricity and irrigation, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. Flaviana Hilario, acting deputy administrator for research and development of PAGASA, said the El Niño condition is expected to intensify from weak to moderate by August this year. Anthony Lucero, …

  • China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row
    China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row

    The US should help “cool down” the Philippines and realize that its meddling in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) dispute would only stir tensions, a Chinese newspaper reported. “Washington should know its meddling in the South China Sea has been destabilizing the region. The US has vowed not to take sides in the territorial dispute, which involves China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. …

  • No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests
    No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests

    K to 12 is the fruit of years of comprehensive consultations involving different sectors in education,” Aquino said during the launching of the program at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City. Organized by the Department of Education (DepEd), the launch was attended by teachers, students and representatives from different stakeholders supportive of the K to 12 program. It was held two years after the signing of Republic Act 10533, or the Enhanced Basic Education …

  • MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t
    MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t

    The Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) maintained its bid for completion of the tripartite review of the implementation of the peace agreement with the Philippine government in 1996. The MNLF’s desire to put consensual closure to the tripartite effort was relayed by its leaders to Sayed El-Masry, the special envoy of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), during the annual foreign ministers conference in Kuwait last Thursday. The MNLF peace agreement with the government in Sept. 2, …

  • Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe
    Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe

    President Aquino is expected to raise the West Philippine Sea dispute during his meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Japan next week. However, there is no word yet if the Philippines will specifically ask Tokyo to join calls for China to stop its massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. Aquino will leave for Tokyo on June 2 for a state visit until June 5. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options