Siquijor’s Typhoon Damage Reaches P50-M

SIQUIJOR (PIA) - Siquijor province was not spared by Typhoon Pablo which hit parts of Mindanao and the Visayas last December 4 and reports obtained from the provincial and municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Centers (DRRMCs) here estimate that damage wrought by typhoon to crops, livestock, homes and other property, as well as infrastructure has reached an estimated P50 million.

Of six towns in the province, Siquijor was reported to have been severely affected with a total estimated cost of damage at P19.483 million, including almost 1,000 houses wrecked and over 50 percent of the municipality's crops and agricultural products ravaged.

The town of Maria comes next with some P15.218 million worth of estimated cost in damage; Enrique Villanueva with total cost of damage estimated at P9,361,331; Lazi, P4.5 million; and Larena , P1,453,165.

San Juan town, meanwhile, reported an estimated total damage cost of P2,460,000 involving crops and houses.

Siquijor province was placed under typhoon Pablo signal no. 3 when the typhoon struck last December 4.

Power lines, particularly in the province's barangays and other infrastructure were down, causing a total blackout for two days.

Trees were uprooted everywhere even as a boat sank, with its six-man crew missing for several hours but luckily rescued the following day.

Another fishing boat midway from Bohol to Siquijor was reported to have capsized with passengers Ayte Almani, 17, and Banjeing Dumay Yankee Hapay, 38, both from Tutolan, Dauis, Bohol able to swim safely to shore at Enrique Villanueva town in Siquijor.

The typhoon claimed one life, with one Helbert Daniel, 25, who was on a motorcycle killed on the spot after he was hit by a fallen coconut tree in Lazi, Siquijor.

Meanwhile, MV Euro 3 of Villa Shipping Lines, with a crew of 16, was pushed off the coast in Maria town. One crewman who was reported to be missing was found floating, 300 meters away from the ship, safe.

Last December 6, the Siquijor provincial government passed a resolution declaring the island-province under a state of calamity due to severe damage to houses and crops, said the province's DRRMC executive officer Arturo Pacatang.

Currently, electrical power has been restored to most of the island and the situation in the province is getting back to normal, according to Pacatang.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • US ambassador slashed and bloodied in Seoul attack
    US ambassador slashed and bloodied in Seoul attack

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was slashed on his face and arm in Seoul on Thursday by a lone, blade-wielding activist opposed to ongoing US-Korean military drills. The United States condemned the "act of violence" which left the ambassador bleeding profusely from a deep wound on his right cheek and saw him rushed to hospital where his condition was described as stable. Witnesses described how a man with a blade concealed in his right hand had lunged across a table at Lippert …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • New Moro rebel group emerges
    New Moro rebel group emerges

    A radical Muslim cleric trained in the Middle East and considered one of the leaders of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) has broken away from the terror group to form his own band of jihadists who are now reportedly providing sanctuary to bomb expert Basit Usman and at least five foreign militants, the military said yesterday. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla, citing reports from the field, said the Justice for Islamic Movement (JIM) was …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options