Snatching incidents force CCPO to deploy more personnel in streets

·1 min read

OFFICIALS of the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) urged the public on Wednesday, July 13, 2022 to be observant and attentive to their surroundings, as snatchers have gone back in business due to the lifting of health restrictions in the city.

Lt. Col. Janette Rafter, CCPO’s deputy director for operation, said the public must be aware of their belongings especially that snatching has become rampant again.

Rafter’s warning came after a video of a nurse victimized by a male snatcher on Osmeña Boulevard in uptown Cebu City on Thursday, July 7, went viral online.

The nurse was caught on video running after the snatcher. She even jumped on the suspect’s motorcycle to recover his phone.

Unidentified snatcher

Rafter said the nurse approached the Abellana Police Station to report the incident. She, however, admitted that they can’t pursue a case against the snatcher as he remains unidentified.

Police officers investigating the matter have already secured several evidence, including the profile of the snatcher provided by the nurse and a footage recorded from a dashcam owned by a motorist who happened to be near the incident

Police deployment

Even before last week’s incident, Rafter said they have deployed police officers to the streets to deter petty crimes.

She said they have ordered all personnel assigned in the city’s police stations, including those assigned to carry out administrative tasks, to help in monitoring petty crimes in their jurisdiction.

Rafter also urged individuals who are victimized by snatchers to prioritize their lives and they must not go after the snatchers as they could be armed. Victims must leave the task of pursuing petty criminals to the police.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting