Sotto apologizes to Kennedy family but denies plagiarizing speeches

(Updated 3:45 p.m.) Senate Majority Floor Leader Vicente Sotto III on Tuesday apologized for upsetting the Kennedy family but maintained that he did not plagiarize parts of his speeches.

In a privilege speech on Tuesday, Sotto answered the allegations made against him by 37 individuals who filed an ethics complaint against him earlier in the day for alleged plagiarism.

He reiterated that he never claimed parts of his speech as his own and that he always said he got them from other sources. "Wala po akong inangkin so papaano po ako mag-a-apologize ng plagiarism eh wala po akong plinagiarize... sinabi ko ngang hindi akin... para hong pinagpiplead guilty ako sa murder eh ang dapat charge physical injuries," he said.

Sotto said his accusers are still basing their allegation on the draft copy of his speech where his blanket attribution was not yet included.

"Maliwanag po doon sa tatlong turno en contra speeches ko [na] ilang ulit ko pong sinabi and the journal will bear me out wala po ako sinabi dun na akin yun," he said.

"Maliwanag na kontra pa nga ang ginamit. Sinabi ko na lahat ng sinabi ko sa mediko, agham at kung saan-saan ay hindi galing sa akin eh ang plagiarism to steal and pass off ideas or words of another as one's own without crediting the source," he added.

As for the part of his speech which turned out to be lifted from the speech of the late US senator Robert F. Kennedy, he said it was shared with him by an American pastor for inspiration.

"It appears that the Kennedy family has been misinformed to get them to say something about me," he said.

During that time, he said he was not aware it was Kennedy's so he and his staff decided to translate it and use it to end his speech. "I did not steal it or claim that it was mine. The worst thing that you could probably say is that I copied it from the text of a friend. I didn't really know [where] it came from," he said.

"Kung sa tingin nila, ng Kennedy family, kinopya ko pwede sapagkat kinopya ko nga dun sa text ‘yun. But copying or imitation is the highest form of flattery. But if it upsets the Kennedy family, well then I'm sorry but that is not the intention we had when we used it," he added.

The office of Kerry Kennedy, daughter of the former senator, in a letter chastised Sotto for "his unethical, unsanctioned theft of Robert Kennedy's intellectual property and the intellectual property of all those whose work he has plagiarized." But Sotto maintained that people are just being manipulated into cornering him for his stand against the controversial Reproductive Health (RH) bill.

"When the right time comes and when I have enough evidence, I will expose the people behind this na nagmamanipula nito...pati mga kababayan natin sa academe namamanipula nila," he said.

He noted, however, that he will not change his objections against the measure.

"You can call me names, you can mock me, you can accuse me of anything under the sun but I will not change my position and I will always be against the distribution of contraceptives, condoms, IUDs...I will always be against abortion. I will remain steadfast and will stand firm in my position as long as I live," he said.

– KG/RSJ, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sadness, disappointment in Philippines after Pacquiao defeat
    Sadness, disappointment in Philippines after Pacquiao defeat

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Sadness and disappointment gripped Filipinos after Manny Pacquiao's defeat in his much-anticipated fight against American Floyd Mayweather Jr. but they still considered the boxing icon a national hero. …

  • Disappointed Filipinos cry foul as Pacquiao loses
    Disappointed Filipinos cry foul as Pacquiao loses

    Boxing fans in the Philippines cried foul and groaned in bitter disappointment on Sunday as national hero Manny Pacquiao lost to American rival Floyd Mayweather in the "fight of the century". Filipinos filled gymnasiums, cinemas and bars as the Southeast Asian nation of 100 million people stopped for Pacquiao's battle with Mayweather in Las Vegas, which he lost in a unanimous points decision. A devastated Pacquiao said immediately afterwards that he thought he had won, and many at home agreed …

  • Steamy fight...and weather as well
    Steamy fight...and weather as well

    Filipinos who will flock to steamy public gymnasiums today to watch free live screenings of Manny Pacquiao’s fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. are advised to drink lots of water as the heat index is expected to reach as high as 40 degrees Celsius in some parts of the country. The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said yesterday the forecast for heat index in Metro Manila may reach 39.8 degrees Celsius. It could go as high as 40.3 degrees …

  • POEA asks advertisers to help fight human trafficking
    POEA asks advertisers to help fight human trafficking

    The Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) has invited advertisers and public relations (PR) agencies to help combat illegal recruitment and human trafficking. POEA administrator Hans Leo Cacdac conveyed his invitation through his Twitter account @HansLeoCacdac posted last April 29. “Any ad agencies, PR firms or their industry associations interested in joining the campaign against illegal recruitment and human trafficking?” he said. Cacdac made the invitation to prevent …

  • Even soldiers will take a break today
    Even soldiers will take a break today

    It’s all systems go with the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) live stream viewing of today’s fight between Filipino boxing icon Sarrangani Rep. Manny Pacquiao and  Floyd Mayweather Jr. in Las Vegas, Nevada. “Soldiers will take a break today,” said Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc, AFP Public Affairs Office (PAO) chief, referring to military’s free-viewing event of the most awaited Pacquiao-Mayweather bout. The same preparations have already been done by the Philippine Army, Philippine Air Force, …

  • ‘No sign of Mount Bulusan’s imminent eruption’
    ‘No sign of Mount Bulusan’s imminent eruption’

    The government is on alert to ensure public safety as Mount Bulusan in Sorsogon province exploded on Friday, deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said yesterday. Despite the alert, Valte said there is as yet no need to evacuate residents, with the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) reporting that “there is no threat of imminent eruption” and that the volcano remains at Alert Level 0. The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), …

  • Pinoys roar: We’re ready to rumble
    Pinoys roar: We’re ready to rumble

    People’s champion Manny Pacquiao knows that the presence of God and the prayers of an entire nation are with him as he wages the biggest battle of his career against undefeated Floyd Mayweather Jr. Saturday here (Sunday noon in the Philippines). “I said thank you,” said Pacquiao. …

  • Gov’t urged to respond immediately to petition vs K to 12
    Gov’t urged to respond immediately to petition vs K to 12

    Teachers seeking to put on hold a government program adding two more years to secondary education have urged the administration to immediately reply to their petition before the Supreme Court (SC) questioning Republic Act 10533, the K-12 law. In a statement, the coalition, led by the Council of Teachers and Staff of Colleges and Universities of the Philippines, said the K-12 Law will affect  millions of people – parents and students, teachers and non-teaching personnel in the public and …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options