South Africa set to make changes in Africa Cup

South Africa are set to change the team that fared woefully in the opening round for an Africa Cup of Nations Group A match against Angola in Durban on Wednesday.

Leaks from the Bafana Bafana (The Boys) camp suggest Dean Furman from English third-tier club Oldham Athletic will return to midfield in place of out-of-sorts Kagisho Dikgacoi from London outfit Crystal Palace.

There could also be a place in the starting line-up for striker Katlego Mphela, probably at the expense of Lehlohonolo Majoro, as the Cup hosts seek an improvement after a 0-0 draw with debutants Cape Verde Islands last weekend.

Many Bafana Bafana supporters would also like to see the one-time darling of the nation, midfielder Siphiwe Tshabalala, dumped for the clash with the Black Antelopes before an expected sell-out 60,000 crowd at Moses Mabhida Stadium.

Tshabalala scored a magnificent opening goal at the 2010 World Cup staged in South Africa, rifling a close-range drive past the Mexican goalkeeper in a 1-1 draw.

But 'Shabba' has looked a pale shadow of his former self in recent national team outings with many pundits believing it is his reputation rather than his form that is keeping him in the starting line-up.

Silver-haired coach Gordon Igesund, 56, visibly aged before an 80,000 crowd at wet and cold Soccer City in Soweto last Saturday as his team gave their worst performance of his nine-match reign since replacing Pitso Mosimane.

With Dikgacoi struggling, Bafana Bafana resorted to long balls that were comfortably dealt with by the tall, organised defence of a team carrying the hopes of a group of west African islands with a combined 500,000 population.

Igesund believes the 1996 South Africa Cup of Nations-winning team is casting a huge shadow over his team, which certainly does not look capable so far of repeating that feat.

"There is a lot of talk about the 1996 team -- it is right in our face all the time," admitted the coach who has won a record four South African Premiership titles with four different clubs.

"Our players want to emulate that team, the nation wants the current players to emulate that team, and the stars who won the title 17 years ago want my team to succeed."

Ironically, the South African class of 96 defeated Angola 1-0 in the second round of group games en route to the final, which they won 2-0 against Tunisia thanks to a second-half brace from substitute Mark Williams.

While South Africa have slipped backwards since, Angola have moved in the opposite direction, reaching the 2006 World Cup, and making a fifth consecutive Africa Cup appearance this month.

They held marginal favourites Morocco 0-0 in the second half of the opening round Soweto double-header with lanky striker and captain Manucho coming close to snatching all three points via a late header that finished just off target.

"Our performance against Morocco was satisfactory," said the Spain-based former Manchester United striker. "I came close a few times and it is encouraging that we created chances."

Angola are seeking a first victory over South Africa in the premier African national-team competition having lost in 1996, drawn 0-0 in Burkina Faso two years later and 1-1 in Ghana during the 2008 group phase.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • ‘Next leader must not be newbie’
    ‘Next leader must not be newbie’

    Vice President Jejomar Binay believes the next president of the Philippines must have vast experience and a long track record in governance and in dealing with crises. “I am very much convinced that the local government is the best training ground for those who want to run for national government positions,” he said. Binay said he is determined to run for president in 2016 on the strength of his competence and track record. …

  • Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning
    Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning

    A suspect in the Maguindanao massacre case who had been examined at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) tested negative for poisoning, medical records released yesterday showed. However, the Quezon City court handling the multiple murder case resolved to isolate Police Officer 1 Pia Kamidon from the rest of the accused detained at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig for his safety. In a two-page order, Regional Trial Court Branch 221 assisting Judge Genie Gapas-Agbada ordered jail officials to …

  • ‘Homework first before Facebook’
    ‘Homework first before Facebook’

    President Aquino elicited laughter from students here as he reminded them to open books first before Facebook. “Finish your assignments first before making a raid in the Clash of Clans,” Aquino said, referring to a popular online game. In a speech during the turnover yesterday of two new three-story buildings at the Tarlac National High School, he said the government could only provide opportunities for learning but the rest of the work would be up to the students. The new school buildings …

  • Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement
    Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement

    President Aquino ended speculations yesterday and confirmed that Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina had indeed resigned as officer-in-charge of the Philippine National Police. As of this time, we are conducting various interviews and checks on the various candidates,” Aquino told reporters at the Tarlac National High School in Tarlac City. Aquino had kind words for Espina, saying that he stood by and defended the 44 slain police Special Action Force (SAF) commandos in the operation in …

  • Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation
    Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation

    President Aquino welcomed yesterday the Group of Seven industrialized countries’ expression of concern over rising tension in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, calling it a clear indication of the global scope of the problem ramped up by China’s massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. In Tarlac City where he led the turnover of new classrooms, Aquino told reporters that goodwill and not tension must prevail in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, where territorial …

  • DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12
    DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12

    The Department of Education (DepEd) has partnered with the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) in the first two years of implementation of the K to 12 program. “We will use TESDA centers as technical-vocational laboratories for senior high school,” DepEd Secretary Armin Luistro said during the inauguration of 30 new classrooms at the Tarlac National High School yesterday. The classrooms were constructed in partnership with the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. …

  • SE Asia Stocks-Philippine falls on foreign selling; others flat to weaker

    BANGKOK, April 17 (Reuters) - Southeast Asian stock markets ended flat to weaker on Friday as Philippine stocks slid on selling led by foreign funds and Singapore shares extended losses with investors ... …

  • Philippine Airlines parent says back in black
    Philippine Airlines parent says back in black

    Philippine Airlines' parent firm said it had returned to profitability, the first time in three years either entity reported being in the black for an entire year. In a filing with the Philippine Stock Exchange Thursday, PAL Holdings reported an after-tax net profit of 129.74 million pesos ($2.93 million) in its fiscal year to December 31. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options