In a filing to the United Nations last week, Australia described the claims as “without legal basis”.
On Friday, Sun Weidong, China’s ambassador to India, hit back at a comment made by his Australian counterpart, high commissioner Barry O’Farrell, in a statement to India a day earlier.
Get the latest insights and analysis from our Global Impact newsletter on the big stories originating in China.
“Noted remarks by Australian HC to India on #SouthChinaSea disregarding facts. #China’s territorial sovereignty & maritime rights&interests are in conformity w/ int’l law incl UNCLOS. It’s clear who safeguard peace&stability & who destablize&provoke escalation in the region,” the tweet said.
In O’Farrell’s statement, he said he told India’s Minister of External Affairs Subrahmanyam Jaishankar that Australia was “deeply concerned” about Beijing’s actions in the South China Sea that were “destabilising and could provoke escalation”.
In a response to Sun’s tweet, O’Farrell referenced a ruling made by the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague in 2016, which rejected Beijing’s claims to the South China Sea, saying it had violated the sovereign rights of the Philippines in the waterway.
“Thank you @China_Amb_India. I would hope then you follow the 2016 South China Sea Arbitral Award which is final and binding under international law, and also generally refrain from actions that unilaterally alter the status quo,” he said.
In his next tweet, Sun dismissed The Hague ruling, describing it as “illegal”, and saying it “has no binding force” – the diplomatic line Beijing has consistently taken.
“We hope those non-claimant countries could contribute to regional peace&stability rather than contrary,” he said.
Australia does not make any claim to the South China Sea, but many other nations and territories do, namely Brunei, Taiwan, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam.
In his meeting with Jaishankar, O’Farrell said Australia backed New Delhi in its efforts to ease tensions in its border dispute with Beijing in the Himalayas.
Canberra strongly opposed any attempt to unilaterally alter the status quo along the Line of Actual Control – the de facto shared border between China and India – he said.
Last month, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo declared his support for The Hague’s 2016 ruling, saying most of Beijing’s claims to the resources in the South China Sea were unlawful.
Purchase the 120+ page China Internet Report 2020 Pro Edition, brought to you by SCMP Research, and enjoy a 30% discount (original price US$400). The report includes deep-dive analysis, trends, and case studies on the 10 most important internet sectors. Now in its 3rd year, this go-to source for understanding China tech also comes with exclusive access to 6+ webinars with C-level executives, including Charles Li, CEO of HKEX, James Peng, CEO/founder of Pony.ai, and senior executives from Alibaba, Huawei, Kuaishou, Pinduoduo, and more. Offer valid until 31 August 2020. To purchase, please click here.
More from South China Morning Post:
- South China Sea: Beijing reclassifies navigation area to increase control, experts say
- China says countries should not have to pick sides in rivalry with US
- US-China relations: PLA bombers carry out ‘attack exercise’ in South China Sea
This article South China Sea: Chinese, Australian diplomats clash on Twitter first appeared on South China Morning Post