South Thailand on alert after deadly marine ambush

Bangkok (The Nation/ANN) - Residents in Thailand's deep south have been advised by the National Security Council (NSC) to brace for heightened violence in retaliation for the deadly ambush early yesterday of a team of insurgents who were preparing to attack a Marine base in Narathiwat province's Bacho district. The ambush by security officials left 16 insurgents dead.

NSC secretary-general Lt-General Pharadorn Phatthanathabutr yesterday said arson attacks were the most likely form of retaliation by "angry" insurgents "ready for revenge" over the heavy casualties inflicted on them in recent days.

A school in Bacho district was set on fire three hours after the Marines' ambush.

The ambush, in which the authorities suffered no casualties, was their biggest success in many years. It followed improved intelligence resulting from better cooperation with local residents. High-ranking and government security figures have called it a tactical, operational and intelligence success.

Sixteen insurgents were killed at the remote outpost in Bacho district in a one-hour gunfight shortly after midnight on Tuesday after a team of 50 walked into a trap set by the Marine unit, the 2nd Rifle Company of the Royal Thai Marines, under Taskforce 32 Narathiwat.

A 24-hour curfew was later announced, with the cooperation of villagers in four tambon in Bacho district - where all five schools have been closed - and two tambon in Pattani until 6am today to clear the way for a full-scale manhunt.

The death toll among the insurgents was one of the highest yet in a single gunfight between separatist militants and government security forces. A Marine commander, Captain Somkiat Pholprayoon, said the six killed were insurgent leaders, including much-wanted Marohso Jantharawadee, who had been indicted on 11 charges of violence. A total of 13 M-16 and AK-47 assault rifles were seized, along with three handguns, a large amount of supplies, a pickup truck and two motorcycles.

Security officials later said the planned attack on Tuesday was intended as revenge for the death of an insurgent during a raid on Monday in Pattani. Police had said earlier that Maruding Yusoh, 25, a suspected operative who died in the ensuing shootout, was found with a pistol linked to 10 previous attacks.

All the dead insurgents wore camouflaged uniforms identical to those worn by civil defence volunteers, in addition to bullet-proof vests seized from security officials they have killed, police said.

Also found at the scene were a number of improvised explosive devices prepared for use, while trees were felled and roads scattered with spikes in nearby areas leading to the Marines' outpost.

Somkiat later repeated his praise for residents - mostly Muslim locals - who supplied tip-offs that led to the successful ambush. "They are fed up with the violence in the region, which has been going on now for more than nine years. They want to see peace restored and they have seen that the authorities could help sort out their troubles," Somkiat said.

Defence Minister Sukampol Suwannathat and Army commander General Prayuth Chan-ocha expressed regret to the families of the slain insurgents, for their innocence and lack of knowledge about their insurgent relatives' involvement in the activities.

Sukampol said later that the Foreign Ministry would make an official clarification of the situation to Muslim countries.

The names of all 16 dead insurgents have been made public, after the completion of DNA-based identification at a local hospital.

Deputy Interior Ministry permanent secretary Phanu Uthairat said a network of information-gathering services - along with a community radio programme, dubbed Kamnan News, operated by village heads and kamnan, who are supervised by the ministry - played an important role in the overall intelligence operation that led to the ambush.

COPYRIGHT: ASIA NEWS NETWORK

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • ‘Next leader must not be newbie’
    ‘Next leader must not be newbie’

    Vice President Jejomar Binay believes the next president of the Philippines must have vast experience and a long track record in governance and in dealing with crises. “I am very much convinced that the local government is the best training ground for those who want to run for national government positions,” he said. Binay said he is determined to run for president in 2016 on the strength of his competence and track record. …

  • Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning
    Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning

    A suspect in the Maguindanao massacre case who had been examined at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) tested negative for poisoning, medical records released yesterday showed. However, the Quezon City court handling the multiple murder case resolved to isolate Police Officer 1 Pia Kamidon from the rest of the accused detained at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig for his safety. In a two-page order, Regional Trial Court Branch 221 assisting Judge Genie Gapas-Agbada ordered jail officials to …

  • ‘Homework first before Facebook’
    ‘Homework first before Facebook’

    President Aquino elicited laughter from students here as he reminded them to open books first before Facebook. “Finish your assignments first before making a raid in the Clash of Clans,” Aquino said, referring to a popular online game. In a speech during the turnover yesterday of two new three-story buildings at the Tarlac National High School, he said the government could only provide opportunities for learning but the rest of the work would be up to the students. The new school buildings …

  • Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement
    Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement

    President Aquino ended speculations yesterday and confirmed that Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina had indeed resigned as officer-in-charge of the Philippine National Police. As of this time, we are conducting various interviews and checks on the various candidates,” Aquino told reporters at the Tarlac National High School in Tarlac City. Aquino had kind words for Espina, saying that he stood by and defended the 44 slain police Special Action Force (SAF) commandos in the operation in …

  • Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation
    Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation

    President Aquino welcomed yesterday the Group of Seven industrialized countries’ expression of concern over rising tension in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, calling it a clear indication of the global scope of the problem ramped up by China’s massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. In Tarlac City where he led the turnover of new classrooms, Aquino told reporters that goodwill and not tension must prevail in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, where territorial …

  • DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12
    DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12

    The Department of Education (DepEd) has partnered with the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) in the first two years of implementation of the K to 12 program. “We will use TESDA centers as technical-vocational laboratories for senior high school,” DepEd Secretary Armin Luistro said during the inauguration of 30 new classrooms at the Tarlac National High School yesterday. The classrooms were constructed in partnership with the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. …

  • SE Asia Stocks-Philippine falls on foreign selling; others flat to weaker

    BANGKOK, April 17 (Reuters) - Southeast Asian stock markets ended flat to weaker on Friday as Philippine stocks slid on selling led by foreign funds and Singapore shares extended losses with investors ... …

  • Philippine Airlines parent says back in black
    Philippine Airlines parent says back in black

    Philippine Airlines' parent firm said it had returned to profitability, the first time in three years either entity reported being in the black for an entire year. In a filing with the Philippine Stock Exchange Thursday, PAL Holdings reported an after-tax net profit of 129.74 million pesos ($2.93 million) in its fiscal year to December 31. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options