Stay-at-home order in Cebu City Dec. 30, Jan. 2 for ‘Odette’ clearing

·4 min read

STARTING Thursday, Dec. 30, 2021, the Cebu City Government and its partners will hold a massive clearing operation or "Oplan Barug Sugbo" to deal with the damage left by Typhoon Odette (Rai) in the city.

This comes after Mayor Michael Rama signed on Wednesday, Dec. 29, 2021, Executive Order 152, which declares a city-wide observance of an Enhanced Citywide Qualitative Health and Sanitation (ECQ-HS) Drive in the city.

"Oplan Barug Sugbo" directs the active participation of all private and government institutions and other stakeholders.

The ECQ-HS will be implemented on Thursday, Dec. 30, 2021 and Sunday, Jan. 2, 2022, in the city.

A mandatory Stay-at-Home Order will also be implemented, and movement outside one’s residence shall be allowed only for purposes of clean-up, accessing necessities, and for work.

In a press conference Wednesday, Rama said the police will implement the EO.

Rama said the ECQ-HS directive is similar to the scenario during the implementation of the enhanced community quarantine in the city.

"We just have to go back when we used to have the ECQ (enhanced community quarantine)," said Rama

With this order, Rama urged citizens to be cooperative so that the police will not have to issue citation tickets for their violating the EO.

According to Rama, there will be a lot of garbage trucks and other equipment that will be deployed so the roads of the city should not be occupied much by private vehicles.

"Puyo kung walay buhaton, aron ang dalan dili ma congested. Dili ma obstructed ang lihok sa mga truck and dili ma traffic," Rama said. (Stay home if you don’t need to go out so the roads won’t be congested and the movement of trucks won’t be obstructed.)

Individuals exempted from the Stay-at-Home Order are essential workers such as medical practitioners, emergency personnel, all authorized government officials and employees, drivers and personnel of delivery vehicles, accredited media personnel, farmers, fishermen, and agri-business personnel.

Persons seeking medical attention or already admitted in any medical facility are also exempted provided that only one companion shall be allowed.

Private sector

The mayor is also promoting a Bottoms-Up and Household Approach wherein capable members of the family should take part in the clearing and clean-up operations and take responsibility for their respective dwelling units.

Managers and heads of private entities should also direct their employees to participate in the cleanup drive to promote health and sanitation within their respective establishments.

"Basta mo apil ang tanan, ma hawanan na, and we will have a better Cebu City by Jan. 3," said Rama. (If everyone participates, the clearing will be completed.)

The mayor also said Secretary Roy Cimatu of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) had agreed that timber from fallen trees would not be turned over to the DENR or the City.

Rama said residents can use them to build furniture for their houses.

Cash for work

In the City of Naga, the local government unit (LGU) has offered a cash-for-work program so residents can earn while they pick up the pieces of their lives after the typhoon.

The program beneficiaries would help clear the Naga Park and Boardwalk, Poblacion areas and their barangays of residence of debris for P300 a day.

The program is being offered to help those most severely affected by Typhoon Odette, particularly those who lost their homes and are now staying in evacuation centers.

Before the storm hit Cebu last Dec. 16, the City undertook a Christmas lighting at the Naga Park attended by hundreds of people drawn to the beauty of the place. However, the tourist attraction was not spared the wrath of Odette.

Apart from this, the government also aims to distribute 25 kilos of rice to 38,900 households in the city.

So far, only 14, 474 households in the city have received assistance.

Barangays Tuyan, Inayagan, Colon, North Poblacion, East Poblacion, South Poblacion, Pangdan and Central Poblacion are among the barangays that have received the aid.

Naga City Mayor Kristine Chiong asked residents to be patient and await the schedule of the aid distribution in their barangays. (WITH ANV / CTL)

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting