‘Still no lead’ on murder of retired cop

·1 min read

INVESTIGATORS tasked to solve the murder of retired Lt. Col. Renato Malazarte have yet to find any information that can point to the identity of his killers.

But Col. Josefino Ligan, Cebu City Police Office director, said they are expanding their investigation by focusing not just on Malazarte’s police background.

The 56-year-old Malazarte was gunned down by two men on board a black motorcycle outside his house on Cabantan St. in Barangay Luz, Cebu City on Friday, Jan. 8, 2021.

Ligan said that aside from Malazarte’s work history, investigators of the Mabolo Police Station are looking at the possibility that the incident was business-related.

Malazarte was involved in various business ventures, including a restaurant in the City of Naga, a construction company and a butane refilling business.

But Ligan said Malazarte had been focusing his attention on his butane refilling business.

“Our investigators will need to deepen their investigation and check all angles to determine a motive for the murder,” Ligan said.

Investigators have also secured footage from several security cameras near the crime scene to help in their investigation.

On Monday, Jan. 11, Ligan will meet with investigators for any updates on the case.

The police official said he will not order the creation of a special investigation task force to solve Malazarte’s murder as he believes the Mabolo Police Station is capable of solving it. (AYB / JKV)