MANILA, Philippines – The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) has not received any reports of casualty yet from the onslaught of Typhoon Tisoy.
NDRRMC spokesperson Mark Timbal said, however, that they are closely monitoring the areas hit by the typhoon to immediately respond to the needs of the affected residents.
“Ang ating mga regional councils po were still into the response mode,” the official said.
Timbal added that the agency’s contingency plans and calamity funds are readily available should need arises during the onset of the typhoon.
“The standby funds ni DSWD at ni NDRRMC are still intact,” he said.
“In case po na kailangan ng assistance ng local governments natin, they can communicate naman po and we are ready to provide assistance,” he added.
So far, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has P586-M budget on standby.
Meanwhile, around 90,000 families are currently taking shelter in evacuation centers across Bicol Region.
According to Director Claudio Yucot, rescue teams are still on standby as there are no calls yet for rescue operations and relief efforts from the affected communities.
“Wala namang request. Ibig sabihin, sapat ang nandoon sa mga LGUs na mga available assets nila,” The Office of the Civil Defense Region 5 Director said.
In Catanduanes, where Typhoon Tisoy made its first landfall on Monday evening, communication lines are still down.
Only radio communication provided by the 9th ID of the Philippine Army allows updates from authorities on the ground.
Also, the OCD-5 said power lines are down at present but they are planning to restore it after they have assessed everything on the ground.
The DSWD has already placed 7,600 family food packs ready for distribution. – MNP (with details from Harlene Delgado)