Storm 'Pablo' could become supertyphoon

Manila (Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN) - Weather forecasters fear an approaching storm, which is expected to enter Philippine area of responsibility tomorrow morning, would turn into a supertyphoon even stronger than the destructive "Sendong" that hit the same threatened area of the country last year.

"In terms of rainfall and wind strength, Typhoon "Bopha" (to be renamed "Pablo" when it enters the country's area of responsibility) has the potential to be stronger than Sendong," said Nathaniel Servando, head of the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa). He was referring to the storm that killed hundreds of residents of Cagayan de Oro and Iligian cities in December 2011.

"This new storm [Pablo] can be very destructive," Servando said by phone, adding that it was moving in the same direction as Sendong.

Disaster response authorities have ordered local disaster units to prepare to evacuate residents living by rivers and in low-lying areas in Eastern Visayas and eastern Mindanao that may bear the brunt of the storm.

The storm was monitored at 730 kilometres east of southern Philippines yesterday morning, moving west at 20 kilometres per hour.

Already it was packing maximum sustained winds of 165 kph. "Considering that it's still far from the Philippine area of responsibility, it can still grow much stronger," Servando said.

"Unless it changes direction, this storm appears headed for the same areas in northern Mindanao that Sendong hit," he added.

"By the time it arrives, it may have become as strong as that," he said when asked if the typhoon could reach wind strength of 210 kph, which US meteorologists classify as a "superstorm".

As of yesterday, Bopha had a diameter of 400-500 kilometres. Sendong spanned about 600 kilometres, Servando said.

Servando said disaster officials were right to make early preparations for the storm, which is expected to make landfall either in the northeastern parts of Mindanao or northern Samar on Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning.

He said Pablo could bring the same devastation as Sendong, including landslides and flash floods that buried thousands of homes across northern Mindanao on December 16 and 17, 2011.

Sendong left more than 1,200 people dead and destroyed 1.3 billion peso (US$100 million) in agriculture and property.

Residents were largely unprepared as typhoons rarely hit Mindanao unlike Luzon and the Visayas.

Asked what the chances were the storm would veer from its projected path, Servando said: "Almost all our models show it moving in a west northwest direction. But there have been occasions in the past when a storm suddenly changed direction."

The weather bureau said the storm was still too far away to affect any part of the country "within the next two days". Even so, Pagasa advised disaster managers to be on the alert.

In its weather outlook for yesterday, Pagasa said the Bicol region, Eastern Visayas and Mindanao will have partly cloudy skies with isolated brief rain showers or thunderstorms. Metro Manila and the rest of the country will experience fair weather, it said.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council has put local disaster response teams on alert.

Council's Executive Director Benito Ramos said yesterday he had requested that even cockpit arenas not be used starting next week so they could serve as emergency evacuation centres aside from gymnasiums, schools and churches.

"Wag muna magsabong [Postpone the cockfights]," Ramos said.

"This is a strong [storm]. I hope it melts so that we would have a nice Christmas. But the problem is this is a strong one, that's why we have been preparing for it since [Friday]," Ramos said in Filipino.

Ramos said Sendong killed thousands because it entered at night and caught local residents off guard.

To ensure that such a tragedy would not be repeated, Ramos said the local disaster risk reduction management councils of affected regions in the Visayas and Mindanao have met to prepare evacuation and relief plans.

"Our local responders are ready," Ramos said.

With a report from Nikko Dizon

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Mayweather picks off Pacquiao to join greats
    Mayweather picks off Pacquiao to join greats

    Floyd Mayweather cemented his place in the pantheon of boxing greats with an emphatic win over Manny Pacquiao which triggered an outcry in the Philippines and divided opinion amongst the legends of the sport. Feinting and dancing his way to a unanimous decision, Mayweather comfortably picked off Pacquiao over 12 rounds to extend his 19-year unbeaten record to 48-0. Yet the jeers could not obscure a clear win for the skilful Mayweather, with judges awarding him the decision by margins of …

  • Sadness, disappointment in Philippines after Pacquiao defeat
    Sadness, disappointment in Philippines after Pacquiao defeat

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Sadness and disappointment gripped Filipinos after Manny Pacquiao's defeat in his much-anticipated fight against American Floyd Mayweather Jr. but they still considered the boxing icon a national hero. …

  • Philippine rebels kill most wanted Islamist militant in south

    The Philippines' most wanted Islamist militant, who escaped after a raid in January that killed 44 police commandos, was killed on Sunday in firefight with Muslim rebels, officials said. Protracted police operations to arrest three Islamist high-value targets had become the biggest political crisis in five years for President Benigno Aquino and put at risk his government's peace efforts with Moro Islamic Liberation Front. A proposed law creating a new autonomous government for minority …

  • Disappointed Filipinos cry foul as Pacquiao loses
    Disappointed Filipinos cry foul as Pacquiao loses

    Boxing fans in the Philippines cried foul and groaned in bitter disappointment on Sunday as national hero Manny Pacquiao lost to American rival Floyd Mayweather in the "fight of the century". Filipinos filled gymnasiums, cinemas and bars as the Southeast Asian nation of 100 million people stopped for Pacquiao's battle with Mayweather in Las Vegas, which he lost in a unanimous points decision. A devastated Pacquiao said immediately afterwards that he thought he had won, and many at home agreed …

  • Steamy fight...and weather as well
    Steamy fight...and weather as well

    Filipinos who will flock to steamy public gymnasiums today to watch free live screenings of Manny Pacquiao’s fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. are advised to drink lots of water as the heat index is expected to reach as high as 40 degrees Celsius in some parts of the country. The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said yesterday the forecast for heat index in Metro Manila may reach 39.8 degrees Celsius. It could go as high as 40.3 degrees …

  • POEA asks advertisers to help fight human trafficking
    POEA asks advertisers to help fight human trafficking

    The Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) has invited advertisers and public relations (PR) agencies to help combat illegal recruitment and human trafficking. POEA administrator Hans Leo Cacdac conveyed his invitation through his Twitter account @HansLeoCacdac posted last April 29. “Any ad agencies, PR firms or their industry associations interested in joining the campaign against illegal recruitment and human trafficking?” he said. Cacdac made the invitation to prevent …

  • Even soldiers will take a break today
    Even soldiers will take a break today

    It’s all systems go with the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) live stream viewing of today’s fight between Filipino boxing icon Sarrangani Rep. Manny Pacquiao and  Floyd Mayweather Jr. in Las Vegas, Nevada. “Soldiers will take a break today,” said Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc, AFP Public Affairs Office (PAO) chief, referring to military’s free-viewing event of the most awaited Pacquiao-Mayweather bout. The same preparations have already been done by the Philippine Army, Philippine Air Force, …

  • ‘No sign of Mount Bulusan’s imminent eruption’
    ‘No sign of Mount Bulusan’s imminent eruption’

    The government is on alert to ensure public safety as Mount Bulusan in Sorsogon province exploded on Friday, deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said yesterday. Despite the alert, Valte said there is as yet no need to evacuate residents, with the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) reporting that “there is no threat of imminent eruption” and that the volcano remains at Alert Level 0. The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options