Strauss-Kahn seeks at least $1 million from maid

Disgraced ex-IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn is seeking more than $1 million in a countersuit against the New York hotel maid whose accusation of sexual assault last year brought down his glittering political career.

The countersuit, signed Monday and made public Tuesday, seeks a minimum of $1 million, plus legal costs and undetermined punitive damages from the maid, Nafissatou Diallo, who is accused of "falsely and maliciously asserting" she was attacked.

The 18-page document accuses Diallo of malicious prosecution, abuse of process, false imprisonment, defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

"Ms Diallo participated in the commencement and maintenance of a baseless criminal prosecution," the suit said, "and in doing so intended to injure Mr Strauss-Kahn."

The suit was the French politician's latest attempt to turn the tables on Diallo and recover from a scandal that started a year ago when Diallo accused him of forcing her into oral sex when she went to clean his luxury hotel room.

An initial criminal case against Strauss-Kahn collapsed because Diallo lied to Manhattan prosecutors on certain aspects of the story.

However, Strauss-Kahn was forced to resign from the International Monetary Fund and abandon his hopes of winning the French presidency.

Subsequently, Diallo launched a civil suit seeking unspecified damages in New York, while in France prosecutors opened a separate criminal case against Strauss-Kahn, alleging involvement in a prostitution ring serving orgies in several countries.

The rival civil suits are both filed in New York state court in the Bronx, where a judge has ruled against Strauss-Kahn's bid to claim diplomatic immunity and have the maid's action thrown out.

They represent diametrically opposed versions of what happened when Diallo went to clean Strauss-Kahn's Manhattan Sofitel suite.

According to Diallo, she was ambushed by a nude Strauss-Kahn. Shortly after, she notified hotel staff, the police were called, and Strauss-Kahn was arrested at John F. Kennedy Airport just as he was about to fly to Europe.

In his suit, Strauss-Kahn says there was a sexual encounter, but "no violence, force or coercion" and "Ms Diallo suffered no injuries whatsoever."

He then presents a version of events that makes him the sole victim, starting with "a degrading and humiliating strip search" by police and being "paraded in front of international media in handcuffs as part of a 'perp walk' intended to humiliate him."

The suit notes that Diallo was determined to have lied to prosecutors about her past, most damagingly about a supposed gang rape in her native Guinea, which in fact did not take place.

Strauss-Kahn blames the legal onslaught and publicity for "causing grievous harm to his personal and professional reputation" and "losing his position with the IMF."

"As a direct and foreseeable result of Ms Diallo's abuse of process, Mr Strauss-Kahn has suffered actual damages in an amount to be determined at trial, and also is entitled to punitive damages to be assessed by the jury," the suit stated.

A US lawyer for Strauss-Kahn, William Taylor, said Diallo should expect to face the suit.

"She is directly responsible for his being arrested, imprisoned, and subjected to extraordinary pain, anguish and expense," Taylor said.

"He is not required to simply endure what she did and her effort to profit for herself without fighting back."

But Diallo's lawyer Douglas Wigdor dismissed the countersuit as an example of "Strauss Kahn's misogynistic attitude."

"As with his plea for diplomatic immunity, we are entirely confident this latest desperate ploy will be swiftly rejected."

Wigdor also said he did not expect the countersuit to be more than a "very small bump in the road" for his own client's legal strategy.

This move was an effort in spin and public relations," he said.

Before the New York scandal and the French prostitution allegations, Strauss-Kahn, 62, was seen as a champion of France's Socialist Party and expected to beat vulnerable president Nicolas Sarkozy at the polls this year.

Instead Socialist candidate Francois Hollande stood against Sarkozy, and won. He took the oath of office on Tuesday.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US renews travel warning to Mindanao
    US renews travel warning to Mindanao

    The US State Department renewed its warning about the risks of travel to the Philippines, in particular to the Sulu archipelago, certain regions and cities of Mindanao and the southern Sulu Sea area. In an update on Wednesday of a travel warning it issued Nov. 20, 2014, the State Department said US citizens should continue to defer non-essential travel to the Sulu archipelago due to the high threat of kidnapping of international travelers and violence linked to insurgency and terrorism there. …

  • Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda
    Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda

    The Philippine initiative to put the interests of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) front and center in global and regional trade has made significant progress following the conclusion on Thursday of the 2nd APEC Senior Officials’ Meeting (SOM2) and Related Meetings in Boracay, Aklan. Called “The Boracay Action Agenda to Globalize MSMEs,” the Philippine proposal calls for a host of specific, concrete and practical interventions that APEC economies can implement to provide MSMEs wider …

  • Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week
    Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week

    The Philippines will join a 15-nation meeting in Bangkok, Thailand next week to address the migration crisis involving thousands of Rohingyas who escaped persecution in Myanmar and Bangladesh. Justice Secretary Leila de Lima bared this yesterday after meeting with United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) representative to the Philippines Bernard Kerblat. In an interview, De Lima said the Philippine government has been invited to the meeting. …

  • Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon
    Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon

    LEGAZPI CITY—A magnitude 4.2 earthquake hit Prieto Diaz town in Sorsogon before dawn yesterday, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said. …

  • Drought-resistant rice breeds bared
    Drought-resistant rice breeds bared

    SCIENCE CITY OF MUÑOZ, Nueva Ecija – Amid the searing heat, the Philippine Rice Research Institute central experiment station here has identified nine rice breeds which have been proven to be drought-resistant and produce high yields in temperatures as high as 38°C based on a recent study. Thelma Padolina, lead researcher of the study titled “Screening of rice-induced mutants for heat and drought tolerance,” identified the breeding lines as the Ballatinaw lines, PSB Rc72H and Azucena lines. …

  • Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning
    Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning

    The United States military will continue air and sea patrols in international waters even after the Chinese navy repeatedly warned a US surveillance plane to leave the airspace over artificial islands China is creating in the disputed South China Sea. The Philippine government also declared it would continue activities in the region, calling on China to respect freedom of navigation and aviation. “Our position on the importance of letting freedom of navigation, freedom of aviation and …

  • MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned
    MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned

    Electricity and mobile phone services would be cut throughout Metro Manila, and all private and government offices and businesses, including shopping malls, would be closed. That would be the situation on July 16 between 3 and 8 p.m. to simulate the scenario of a 7.2 magnitude earthquake. The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) has warned that an earthquake of that magnitude could occur and kill at least 33,500 people and injure at least 113,600 others following a …

  • Subaru XV now priced among sedans
    Subaru XV now priced among sedans

    Motor Image Philipinas (MIP), the authorized distributor of Subaru in the country, has positioned its brand new crossover SUV, the Subaru XV, well within the sedan segment’s price range. This move, according to MIP, was made to give the public an opportunity to experience the brand’s unique automotive technologies by lowering its price. Buyers of […] The post Subaru XV now priced among sedans appeared first on Carmudi Philippines. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options