Quake rocks Bulgaria, no casualties

A 5.8-magnitude quake struck Bulgaria early Tuesday, triggering panic among sleepy residents who ran into the streets in their pyjamas, and some minor damage, but no casualties were reported.

The quake jolted an area near Pernik, about 30 kilometres (20 miles) southwest of Sofia and was felt in the capital and other towns as well as in neighbouring Greece and Macedonia.

Residents of tall apartment buildings in Sofia said objects crashed to the ground during the tremor which lasted several minutes, and was followed by about 20 lighter aftershocks, according to local seismologists.

"Everything was shaking like crazy. I ran out shouting ... I won't go back home today," teenager Maria told AFP outside her apartment building in a western Sofia neighbourhood.

A state of emergency has been declared in the area around Pernik, a mining town of about 80,000 people, and police and firefighters were dispatched to the region to held distressed residents and check for damage.

School classes were cancelled Tuesday and Wednesday.

"So far, there are no (known) casualties or injuries, which is good news," Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov told Focus press agency.

Civil defence chief Nikolay Nikolov said his service has received reports of toppled chimneys, falling masonry, cracked walls, broken windows and damaged cars in the Pernik region and Sofia.

However, there were no reports of any interruptions of electricity or communications and Sofia's airport was operating normally, as was Bulgaria's nuclear plant which lies about 200 kilometres north of the epicentre.

The quake comes on the heels of a 6.0-magnitude earthquake in northeastern Italy on Sunday that killed six people and reduced homes and historic buildings to rubble.

National radio stations and news agencies broadcast advice for people to stay outdoors after being inundated with calls.

"Let's hope it does not strike again. I know that people are in panic and this is only normal," Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov told Blitz news agency.

Pernik mayor Rositsa Yanakieva sought to reassure residents that there was no danger that a major dam near the town could burst.

"The wall of the Studena dam is in good condition. It is being monitored constantly ... There are no reports of casualties or injuries in Pernik so far," Yanakieva said.

Over 20 lighter aftershocks were registered after the first quake hit, which had a magnitude of 5.8-5.9 on the Richter scale, according to the Bulgarian Seismological Institute.

Local people who were still sitting outside in their pyjamas over an hour after the first jolt said they felt new tremors before dawn which the seismological institute measured at 4.2 and 4.3.

Bulgaria's Seismological Institute chief Emil Botev said it was the strongest quake ever to hit the Pernik fault.

In August 2009, a 5.0 magnitude earthquake hit the Black Sea between Bulgaria and Romania but no serious damage was reported, while in 2004 a 5.5 quake hit downtown Sofia.

The deadliest was in 1904, when a 7.8 magnitude quake hit along the southwestern Struma river, killing over 200 people.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Biker Beauty: Honda and David's Salon Pampering Day
    Biker Beauty: Honda and David's Salon Pampering Day

    Honda Philippines Inc. (HPI), and David's Salon recently held the awarding ceremony for the Metro Manila winner of the David's Salon Scooter Raffle Promo at the 5th level of SM Megamall Building A. Loyal patron Maria Theresa Guevara took home a brand new Honda Click 125i. Present to grace the occasion were David's Salon Creative Director Laura Charlton and HPI Assistant Vice-President for Sales and Marketing Hideo Nishinaga.To the delight of all those in attendance, guests were treated to …

  • ‘Next leader must not be newbie’
    ‘Next leader must not be newbie’

    Vice President Jejomar Binay believes the next president of the Philippines must have vast experience and a long track record in governance and in dealing with crises. “I am very much convinced that the local government is the best training ground for those who want to run for national government positions,” he said. Binay said he is determined to run for president in 2016 on the strength of his competence and track record. …

  • Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning
    Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning

    A suspect in the Maguindanao massacre case who had been examined at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) tested negative for poisoning, medical records released yesterday showed. However, the Quezon City court handling the multiple murder case resolved to isolate Police Officer 1 Pia Kamidon from the rest of the accused detained at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig for his safety. In a two-page order, Regional Trial Court Branch 221 assisting Judge Genie Gapas-Agbada ordered jail officials to …

  • ‘Homework first before Facebook’
    ‘Homework first before Facebook’

    President Aquino elicited laughter from students here as he reminded them to open books first before Facebook. “Finish your assignments first before making a raid in the Clash of Clans,” Aquino said, referring to a popular online game. In a speech during the turnover yesterday of two new three-story buildings at the Tarlac National High School, he said the government could only provide opportunities for learning but the rest of the work would be up to the students. The new school buildings …

  • Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement
    Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement

    President Aquino ended speculations yesterday and confirmed that Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina had indeed resigned as officer-in-charge of the Philippine National Police. As of this time, we are conducting various interviews and checks on the various candidates,” Aquino told reporters at the Tarlac National High School in Tarlac City. Aquino had kind words for Espina, saying that he stood by and defended the 44 slain police Special Action Force (SAF) commandos in the operation in …

  • Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation
    Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation

    President Aquino welcomed yesterday the Group of Seven industrialized countries’ expression of concern over rising tension in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, calling it a clear indication of the global scope of the problem ramped up by China’s massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. In Tarlac City where he led the turnover of new classrooms, Aquino told reporters that goodwill and not tension must prevail in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, where territorial …

  • DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12
    DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12

    The Department of Education (DepEd) has partnered with the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) in the first two years of implementation of the K to 12 program. “We will use TESDA centers as technical-vocational laboratories for senior high school,” DepEd Secretary Armin Luistro said during the inauguration of 30 new classrooms at the Tarlac National High School yesterday. The classrooms were constructed in partnership with the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. …

  • SE Asia Stocks-Philippine falls on foreign selling; others flat to weaker

    BANGKOK, April 17 (Reuters) - Southeast Asian stock markets ended flat to weaker on Friday as Philippine stocks slid on selling led by foreign funds and Singapore shares extended losses with investors ... …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options