South Sudan has not halted hostilities: Sudan army

South Sudan has not stopped hostilities in line with a UN resolution because it continues to "occupy" points along the disputed border and will be expelled by force, Sudanese officials said Friday.

"From our side the government is committed to the UN Security Council resolution by stopping hostilities," army spokesman Sawarmi Khaled Saad told AFP ahead of a 1500 GMT UN deadline to stop fighting or face possible sanctions.

Both Khartoum and Juba have pledged to seek peace after the UN Security Council on Wednesday gave their two countries 48 hours to stop fighting, including Sudanese air raids which it condemned.

The border situation is a serious threat to international peace and security, the UN said.

"But the other side still has a presence inside our land," Saad said, alleging that the Southern army continued to occupy two points along the border with Darfur, "and this means they haven't stopped hostilities."

The claim was in line with comments by Sudanese officials since Southern troops ended a 10-day occupation of Sudan's main oil region of Heglig last month -- an occupation equally condemned by the United Nations as Sudan and the South went to the brink of all-out war.

South Sudan's army spokesman Philip Aguer said that earlier on Friday Sudanese artillery bombarded the south's frontline army bases at Panakuach, Lalop and Teshwin.

Sudan has repeatedly stated that South Sudanese "aggression" continues in the form of direct occupation of other disputed areas along the border, and by support for rebel groups inside Sudan.

"We are not now conducting hostilities inside South Sudan but on our territory we will not halt the fighting until South Sudan's troops withdraw," foreign ministry spokesman Al-Obeid Meruh told AFP shortly before the UN deadline.

Sudan accuses the South of backing anti-government rebels from its conflict-hit western region of Darfur as well as those fighting in South Kordofan state and Blue Nile.

The Sudanese Media Centre, which is close to the security apparatus, reported late Thursday that the army had regained control of Bau town in Blue Nile, but rebels of the Sudan People's Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N) denied losing control of the area.

Official media said President Omar al-Bashir spent Friday in Talodi, a strategic South Kordofan town which the SPLM-N and government have repeatedly fought over.

Within a week the army will seize the rebel base of Kauda, Bashir vowed on state television.

"Next Friday we will pray in Kauda so as to cleanse South Kordofan of rebellion," he said in an address to troops in Talodi.

South Sudan rejects allegations that it backs the SPLM-N and other opposition movements inside Sudan and in turn accuses Khartoum of supporting rebels south of the border.

Under the Security Council resolution, Sudan and South Sudan are required to stop supporting insurgents in each other's territory.

An international analyst, who asked not to be identified, said that "in principle" Khartoum is committed to the UN resolution and an African Union demand that formed the basis of it.

But Sudan is wary of the UN threat of sanctions, he said.

"They don't think it's their fault, so they don't see why sanctions should be on them," he said. "And they are actually trying to get rid of the old sanctions."

Sudan is already under United States economic sanctions, first imposed in 1997 over human rights and other concerns.

Border clashes between the two nations began in late March, culminating in the South's occupation of Heglig, a move which coincided with air strikes against the South.

The South said it pulled out of Heglig in response to international calls, but Sudan said its military forced out the occupiers.

Allegations of clashes have continued even after the Heglig occupation ended.

The UN resolution set a series of deadlines, including a resumption of negotiations within two weeks on issues left unresolved after South Sudan separated last July following a 22-year civil war.

These issues include oil payments, the status of each country's citizens resident in the other, disputed border areas, and the contested Abyei region.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea
    US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was recovering from surgery Thursday after having his face and arm slashed by a knife-wielding activist in an attack applauded by North Korean state media. The United States condemned the "act of violence" which saw the ambassador rushed to hospital where his condition was described as stable after two-and-a-half hours of surgery that included 80 stitches to a deep gash on his right cheek. During the assault, Kim screamed a slogan in favour of …

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • New Moro rebel group emerges
    New Moro rebel group emerges

    A radical Muslim cleric trained in the Middle East and considered one of the leaders of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) has broken away from the terror group to form his own band of jihadists who are now reportedly providing sanctuary to bomb expert Basit Usman and at least five foreign militants, the military said yesterday. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla, citing reports from the field, said the Justice for Islamic Movement (JIM) was …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl
    Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen says he has found the Japanese Navy’s biggest warship at the bottom of the sea in the Philippines, 70 years after US forces sank it. Allen posted a photo on Twitter on Tuesday of the World War II battleship Musashi’s rusty bow, which bore the Japanese empire’s Chrysanthemum seal. The American billionaire, who has also pursued space exploration, said his luxury yacht and exploration ship, the M/Y Octopus, found the Musashi one kilometer (1.6 miles) deep on the …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Ohio mom, boyfriend guilty; child emailed teacher for help

    PORTSMOUTH, Ohio (AP) — A woman and her boyfriend pleaded guilty to raping her young children and were sentenced to prison on Wednesday, a year after one of her daughters emailed a teacher for help and said she and her siblings were being chained to their beds, deprived of food and sexually assaulted. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options