Sultan tells 300 followers disputed Sabah 'is our home'

Manila (Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN) - Saying there was no turning back, Sultan Jamalul Kiram III has declared that his followers who crossed into the town of Lahad Datu in the Malaysian state of Sabah this month were staying put to reclaim their ancestral homeland.

Kiram said his followers were resolute despite being cornered by security forces, with the Kuala Lumpur government insisting the group return to the Philippines. He earlier said his group numbered 300, but Malaysia put it at between 80 and 100.

"Why should we leave our own home? In fact they (the Malaysians) are paying rent [to us]," he told reporters in Manila on Sunday.

"Our followers will stay in Lahad Datu. Nobody will be sent to the Philippines. Sabah is our home," he said.

The sultan did not directly threaten violence but said "there will be no turning back for us."

Malaysian officials have said that many in the group have weapons, but Kiram insisted his followers made the trip unarmed.

"If they have arms, they were already in Sabah," the sultan said.

"These people are willing to die for our cause," he told Reuters.

The southern Philippine-based Islamic sultanate once controlled parts of Borneo, including the site of the standoff, and its heirs have been receiving a nominal yearly compensation package from Malaysia under a long-standing agreement for possession of Sabah.

Kiram said he was prompted to send the group to Sabah after the sultanate was left out of a framework agreement sealed last October between Manila and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), which paves the way for an autonomous area in Mindanao.

Right to stay

'The sultanate's spokesman, Abraham Idjirani, later said the sultan's brother, Rajah Mudah Agbimuddin Kiram, who led the group to Sabah, had told him via telephone that the party was preparing to stay.

"The objective is to reside now in that place permanently, considering the sultanate owns Sabah by rights of sovereignty," he told Agence France-Presse.

Idjirani said the group would not instigate violence but would resist if provoked.

"We recognise the capability of Malaysia. We don't have the arms and capacity but we have the historical truth," he said, adding that the group's "fate is to see the recognition they are entitled to ... or they die defending their ancestral rights."

Idjirani said President Benigno Aquino's senior aides had been in contact with the sultan and were willing to deliver a letter to the Malaysian government on his behalf for negotiations.

Group urged to return

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) yesterday repeated calls on Kiram's group to return home.

"We want this issue to be settled in a peaceful manner," DFA spokesman Raul Hernandez told a news briefing. "We are calling on them to leave Lahad Datu as soon as possible so that the situation will not escalate further. We would like them to leave and go home immediately."

"What is important for now is for them to leave that area because this could affect existing issues we have including peace talks and possible bilateral relations," he said.

Hernandez said the Philippines was attempting to get in touch with the group in Sabah directly, but he refused to give details.

"There are no reports of any violence and there are no reports of bloodshed. They (Malaysian authorities) are talking to the group and also to our officials, our security and defence officials are also talking with their counterparts in Malaysia," Hernandez said.

"Negotiations are now focused on making sure our people there are able to go back safely and that their safety and security are of importance and that we are able to resolve this through negotiation."

No talks on Sabah claim

Hernandez said on Monday there were no discussions on the Sabah claim "at this point in time".

"We appreciate Malaysian government's actions to resolve this situation as soon as possible in line with the instruction of Prime Minister Najib Razak," Hernandez said. "The Malaysian government chose to handle the issue through negotiations and to get the group to leave peacefully to prevent bloodshed."

"Hopefully there will be a softening of a position," Abigail Valte, deputy presidential spokesperson, said in a briefing Monday.

"The incident is very sensitive and, as such, we are withholding comment and deferring to the DFA," Valte said.

Valte declined to comment on whether Nur Misuari, chairman of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) who questioned the MILF deal, had anything to do with the standoff.

"Hopefully not," she said. "Maybe there are other groups that are attempting something because we have come to a point in the peace process where it is actually possible to attain peace. And we're doing everything on that front to make sure that happens."

"We are on a wait-and-see attitude," Abu Ambri Taddik, MNLF deputy secretary general, told the Inquirer in an interview on Sunday.

He said if the intention of the sultan was to pursue the issue of ownership of Sabah without politics, many people in the sultanate would support him.

"I think both governments should sit down and jointly help diffuse the situation," Sen. Gregorio Honasan said on Sunday in Cagayan de Oro City. "If left unattended, it might become more complicated because of [the possibility] of an armed confrontation."

Reports from AFP; Reuters; Tarra Quismundo, TJ Burgonio and Arlyn dela Cruz in Manila; and Bobby Lagsa, Inquirer Mindanao

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • McCain seeks defence funding to help Asia against China challenges
    McCain seeks defence funding to help Asia against China challenges

    By David Brunnstrom WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A leading U.S. senator has proposed that the United States provide hundreds of millions of dollars to help train and equip the armed forces of Southeast Asian countries faced with Chinese territorial challenges. Republican Senator John McCain, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, made the proposal in an amendment to the 2016 U.S. Defense Authorization Act expected to be passed later this year, entitled the South China Sea Initiative. It …

  • US missile cruiser docks at Subic
    US missile cruiser docks at Subic

    A US Navy missile cruiser has dropped anchor in Subic Bay as part of “routine port call,” amid rising tension in the West Philippine Sea stirred by China’s island building activities and other threatening moves by its forces. The arrival of the Ticonderoga-class missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG-67) at the Subic Bay Freeport in Olongapo City yesterday was “just a routine port visit for ship replenishment and routine maintenance of shipboard system,” said Philippine Navy Public Affairs Office …

  • Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño
    Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño

    The agriculture and power sectors, as well as the general public should brace for a prolonged El Niño phenomenon that could further reduce water supply for electricity and irrigation, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. Flaviana Hilario, acting deputy administrator for research and development of PAGASA, said the El Niño condition is expected to intensify from weak to moderate by August this year. Anthony Lucero, …

  • China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row
    China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row

    The US should help “cool down” the Philippines and realize that its meddling in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) dispute would only stir tensions, a Chinese newspaper reported. “Washington should know its meddling in the South China Sea has been destabilizing the region. The US has vowed not to take sides in the territorial dispute, which involves China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. …

  • No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests
    No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests

    K to 12 is the fruit of years of comprehensive consultations involving different sectors in education,” Aquino said during the launching of the program at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City. Organized by the Department of Education (DepEd), the launch was attended by teachers, students and representatives from different stakeholders supportive of the K to 12 program. It was held two years after the signing of Republic Act 10533, or the Enhanced Basic Education …

  • MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t
    MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t

    The Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) maintained its bid for completion of the tripartite review of the implementation of the peace agreement with the Philippine government in 1996. The MNLF’s desire to put consensual closure to the tripartite effort was relayed by its leaders to Sayed El-Masry, the special envoy of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), during the annual foreign ministers conference in Kuwait last Thursday. The MNLF peace agreement with the government in Sept. 2, …

  • Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe
    Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe

    President Aquino is expected to raise the West Philippine Sea dispute during his meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Japan next week. Aquino will leave for Tokyo on June 2 for a state visit until June 5. The President’s visit would boost relations between the two countries on all aspects including defense and security, according to Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary for Asian and Pacific Affairs Minda Cruz. …

  • CHED releases wrong data on tuition hike
    CHED releases wrong data on tuition hike

    The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) appears to have released erroneous data on the allowed tuition and other fee increases in Metro Manila for the incoming academic year. On the list of the 51 approved higher education institutions (HEI) allowed to impose hikes, CHED pegged the average increase in tuition at P32.34 per unit and the average increase in other fees at P34.79. However, a Philippine STAR re-computation showed that the actual average approved tuition increases in Metro …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options