Super Junior¿s back with 'Sexy, Free & Single'

Seoul (The Korea Herald/ANN) - Members of Super Junior pose for photo at a news conference for their new album in Seoul, Tuesday. (Lee Sang-sub/The Korea Herald)

Hallyu star group Super Junior has returned with their sixth full-length album ¿Sexy, Free & Single¿ and also with member Kang In rejoining the group after serving his military service.

Known to many as ¿Emperor Gwanggaeto¿ in Asia, Super Junior said they sought a new music style in their latest album, escaping from the repeated acid funky style in their previous work and trying out European house.

¿We have been singing similar songs from our third to fifth album. We wanted to do something new and change our music and dance style in this album. And we are quite happy about it," group leader Lee Teuk told reporters at a press conference held at a hotel in Seoul on Tuesday. Their new album drew international attention with reporters from Taiwan, China, Japan and Kazakhstan attending the conference.

Their title single ¿Sexy, Free & Single¿, composed and arranged by Danish songwriters Daniel ¿Obi¿ Klein, Thomas Sardorf and Lasse Lindorff, tells the story of themselves - ten men enjoying top-star status all over Asia and the single life.

Several renowned choreographers including Devin Jamieson, who worked with Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake, also worked on the group¿s new album.

¿We really worked so hard to show a different dance style by adding more groove. I think it will look sexier than before," Lee added.

The new album also celebrated Kang In¿s comeback, who left the group for almost three years. The 28-year-old star spent some time of self-reflection after he was indicted by the police for assault and drink-driving. He volunteered to enrol in the military after that.

¿I feel nervous rather than being excited now. I am worried I could damage (the reputation of) the team because they are doing so great," he told reporters.

¿In the army I learned a lot more about myself and was disappointed at my bad habits. I missed my good years on the stage and I realised that I was one of a really great team," he added.

When asked whether he thought about taking another path, since he worked as an actor and entertainer on TV before the incidents, Kang In said ¿I never thought of pursuing another career. Super Junior was all I wanted to do."

Super Junior has been proving their star power in and out of the country after its debut in 2005. Their fifth album ¿Mr. Simple¿ dominated the country¿s music charts and won numerous awards late last year. The group sold a half million copies last year in Korea, marking a new record in the country¿s music market that has been suffering from the recession.

Their world tour this year was a huge success. The show titled ¿Super Junior World Tour: Super Show¿ held in 10 cities around the world including Paris, Shanghai, Tokyo, Singapore, Taipai and Jakarta, drew more than 400,000 attendees. Particularly in Taiwan, the group¿s single has been topping the local chart there for more than 100 weeks.

¿I was moved when I received letters written in Korean from our fans abroad. I would like to express gratitude for them spending hours to learn Korean just to communicate with us," said Kyu Hyun. Hallyu nowadays is not only about fandom toward Korean artists but also interests into anything about Korea.

¿We saw many fans translating many entertainment programs just to get to know about Korean culture, that was really amazing," he said.

The group said they feel responsible for fans¿ love and was inspired by a surprise visit by Donika Sterling, an American girl suffering from an incurable illness. She was in Korea to meet Korean singers including Super Junior and SHINee.

¿I realised that we have become people who can encourage and inspire many other people. We will try to do something for them like holding a charity concert like Michael Jackson did with his friends," said Si Won, another member who is busy filming a Chinese soap drama in Taiwan.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano
    Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano

    Government troops captured Sunday a bomb and weapons factory of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) announced yesterday. Col. Restituto Padilla, AFP spokesman, said the captured bomb and weapons factory is located inside an area controlled by radical Muslim cleric Ustadz Mohammad Ali Tambako at Barangay Dasikil in Mamasapano. …

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors
    No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
    How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say

    CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded. …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

  • Bong wants to see son in hospital
    Bong wants to see son in hospital

    Detained Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. will ask the Sandiganbayan to allow him to visit his son, Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla, confined at the intensive care unit of the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa for a gunshot wound in the chest. Lawyer Raymond Fortun, spokesman for the Revilla family, said the senator would ask for a 24- to 48-hour furlough. Sen. Revilla’s legal counsel Ramon Esguerra said doctors removed a half liter of blood. Fortun said he was able to talk to Jolo …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options