Syria protesters given surrender ultimatum

The Syrian authorities on Monday set a deadline of 15 days for people who had committed "unlawful acts" to surrender, as 180 people were rounded up in the latest wave of arrests.

The ultimatum came as activists planned fresh anti-government demonstrations following the deaths of dozens of people in weekend protests.

In a statement, the interior ministry told "citizens who have participated in or committed unlawful acts such as bearing arms, attacking security or spreading lies to surrender by May 15 and hand their weapons in to the competent authorities."

It urged Syrians to "supply information about saboteurs, terrorists and arms caches" pledging "they will be spared any subsequent legal consequences."

A military spokesman on Monday announced the arrest of 499 people in the southern flashpoint town of Daraa, a week after thousands of troops backed by tanks swooped on the town to crush protests.

The spokesman also announced the deaths of two members of the security forces "as well as 10 terrorists." Eight soldiers were wounded and five gunmen waiting in ambush were arrested, the military added.

Security forces and the army continue to "pursue terrorist groups and have arrested members of these groups who committed crimes and acts of sabotage in the city" of Daraa, state news agency SANA reported.

Quoting a military official it said large quantities of arms and ammunition were found hidden in various places in Daraa.

Meanwhile President Bashar al-Assad met visiting UAE Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al-Nahyan and told him "measures are being taken to overcome the current situation and strengthen the process of reforms in all fields," SANA said.

According to the opposition Syrian Revolution 2011 website, security forces at dawn on Monday entered the Kafar Nubbol area, 320 kilometres (200 miles) north of Damascus, and took over houses and arrested 26 people.

Raids were also carried out at dawn in Zabadani and Madaya, two summer resorts northwest of Damascus, where security forces arrested 147 people, the rights group Insan said.

"Those detained were beaten and insulted in front of their relatives and their cell phones and computers were seized," Insan said in a statement.

On Sunday troops and security forces arrested more than 365 people, namely in Daraa and the Damascus suburb of Douma, the northwestern coastal city of Latakia and Qamishli in the northeast, activists said.

Syrian Revolution 2011 site, a driving force behind the protests, urged Syrians nationwide to mobilise every day at noon in solidarity with Daraa, which has been sealed since Monday by the army, and all "besieged towns."

"We say to this regime: 'The court of the people will judge you'," it said.

SANA reported that 600 tonnes of flour had been delivered to Daraa, where there are huge shortages of food, medicine and baby milk, activists say.

Also on Monday security forces dispersed a group of around 150 women who marched in central Damascus in support of Daraa and arrested a woman journalist, actress Fadwa Suleiman told AFP.

"The security forces ordered us to stop, they beat up some women and arrested a Syrian woman journalist who argued with them after they seized her camera," she said.

Assad's government has persistently blamed the violence on "armed criminal gangs" while the president has portrayed the protest movement launched on March 15 as a conspiracy.

The army said it entered Daraa on April 25 at the request of residents to rid them of "terrorist gangs" responsible for a spate of "killings and vandalism."

Human rights groups say the civilian death toll from unprecedented demonstrations that erupted on March 15 has topped 580, and Insan said 2,130 arrests have been verified since March 15.

On Monday French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe warned that Assad's regime was bound to fall if it continued its bloody crackdown.

"If the regime perseveres down this path, it will fall, one day or another, but it will fall," Juppe said.

Also on Monday Al-Jazeera television demanded information about one of its journalists, Dorothy Parvez, who has been missing since landing on Friday in Damascus.

Parvez, 39, who holds American, Canadian and Iranian citizenship, is the latest journalist to be reported missing in Syria.

Al-Jazeera has been accused, along with other satellite channels, by the Syrian authorities of exaggerating anti-regime protests.

A Jordanian, Raad Kawar, has also been detained by Syrian authorities since April 19 while on way to Amman upon return from Beirut, his family and Jordanian Foreign Ministry said Monday.

The United States has blocked assets of Syrian officials, including of Assad's brother Maher, who commands the feared Fourth Armoured Division, while the European Union is also preparing a raft of sanctions.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • China subs outnumber US fleet – admiral
    China subs outnumber US fleet – admiral

    China is building some “fairly amazing submarines” and now has more diesel- and nuclear-powered vessels than the United States, a top US Navy admiral told US lawmakers on Wednesday, although he said their quality was inferior. Vice Admiral Joseph Mulloy, deputy chief of naval operations for capabilities and resources, told the House Armed Services Committee’s seapower subcommittee that China was also expanding the geographic areas of operation for its submarines, and their length of …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • 3 Pinays on Forbes power women list
    3 Pinays on Forbes power women list

    Three Filipina executives, who are all daughters of known business tycoons in the country, made it to Forbes’ list of the 50 most powerful businesswomen in Asia. Teresita Sy-Coson, vice chairman of SM Investments and chairman of BDO Universal Bank, was included in the list for the fourth year in a row since its inception. “Under her (Sy-Coson) lead SMIC became the largest listed company on the Philippine Stock Exchange by market cap. Also in the 2015 list is 70-year-old Helen Yuchengco-Dee, …

  • Pacman mega fight tax exemption up to Congress, BIR
    Pacman mega fight tax exemption up to Congress, BIR

    Malacañang is leaving it up to Congress and the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) to consider a proposed special tax exemption for boxing icon Manny Pacquiao in his much-awaited fight with Floyd Mayweather. Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said yesterday it will have to be discussed by Congress because lawmakers are the ones who enact tax exemptions, special or general. Pacquiao has been dogged by unsettled tax obligations with the BIR. …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

  • Lupita Nyong'o's $150,000 Oscars dress stolen from hotel
    Lupita Nyong'o's $150,000 Oscars dress stolen from hotel

    The $150,000 pearl-studded, custom-made Calvin Klein dress worn by Oscar-winning actress Lupita Nyong'o at this year's Academy Awards has been stolen, police said on Thursday. The gown, embellished with 6,000 natural white pearls, was stolen from Nyong'o's room at the London Hotel in West Hollywood, during the day on Wednesday, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department in West Hollywood said. "Ms Nyong'o was not in the room at the time of the theft," Deputy John Mitchell …

  • US-led strikes on IS after group seizes 220 Christians
    US-led strikes on IS after group seizes 220 Christians

    The US-led coalition has carried out air strikes against the Islamic State group in northeastern Syria, where the jihadists have launched a new offensive and kidnapped 220 Assyrian Christians. The raids on Thursday struck areas around the town of Tal Tamr in Hasakeh province, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said, without giving information on possible casualties. The town remains under the control of Kurdish forces, but at least 10 surrounding villages have been seized by IS, along …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options