Syria PM defects, accuses Assad regime of 'genocide'

Syria's prime minister Riad Hijab joined the anti-regime revolt and fled abroad, in what Washington and the opposition hailed on Monday as a major blow to President Bashar al-Assad.

Government forces, meanwhile, were poised to launch an assault on rebels in Aleppo, Syria's commercial capital, as a monitoring group said at least 137 people were killed in violence across the country.

In the highest-ranking defection of the nearly 17-month uprising, Hijab, a leading Sunni Muslim in Assad's minority Alawite-dominated regime, announced he was joining the rebels after crossing into Jordan on Sunday night.

He accused his former master of carrying out "genocide" against his own people but said four decades of Assad family rule were collapsing.

"I announce my defection today from the regime of killing and terror, and I join the ranks of the revolt," Hijab said in statement read by his spokesman Mohammed al-Otri on Al-Jazeera news channel from Amman.

Otri said the defector was headed for Qatar.

Hijab's home province of Deir Ezzor in the northeast has been one of the key battlegrounds of the conflict and seen a mounting death toll from operations by the army.

The latest defection shows Assad has lost control of the country and that his people believe his days are numbered, a US official in Washington told AFP.

The surprise development was "just the latest indication that Assad has lost control of Syria and that the momentum is with the opposition forces and the Syrian people," National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor said.

The Syrian opposition in Jordan said Hijab and his family had slipped over the border during the night accompanied by two government ministers and three army officers.

"The Free Syrian Army helped all of them cross the border... Several other army officers defected and arrived in Jordan last night," said Syrian National Council member Khalid Zein al-Abedin.

SNC leader Abdel Basset Sayda said "this defection shows that the regime is disintegrating. It is the beginning of the end," while the Muslim Brotherhood hailed what it called "a courageous expression of great nationalism."

In Damascus, state television put out a terse report announcing that Hijab had been dismissed and replaced on an interim basis.

Information Minister Omran al-Zohbi later said defections at whatever level would have no impact on the Syrian state, while denying that any other ministers had switched allegiances.

The 46-year-old Hijab was only appointed on June 6 after a widely boycotted May 7 parliamentary election that was hailed as a centrepiece of reform by the Assad regime but dismissed as a farce by Arab and Western governments.

An agricultural engineer by training, he was agriculture minister under his predecessor Adel Safar.

Word of his defection came as the Syrian army readied a major ground assault against rebels in the northern city of Aleppo who say they control half of the city of some 2.7 million people.

It also came as a bomb blast rocked Syrian state television headquarters in the heart of Damascus, wounding several people just two days after the army said it had seized the last rebel-held area of the capital.

The morning bombing struck management offices on the third floor of the television building in the heavily protected Omayyad district of the city.

In Aleppo, the army bombarded a string of rebel neighbourhoods after government security officials said troops had completed their build-up and that a 20,000-strong force was poised for a ground assault.

A rebel commander was killed in the Salaheddin district in the southwest, and troops shelled the Palace of Justice as well as the Marjeh and Shaar districts, the Observatory said.

At least 21 civilians were killed in the city of Aleppo, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which gave a death toll of 137 across the country on Monday, including 82 civilians.

The head of the UN Supervision Mission in Syria, Lieutenant General Babacar Gaye, on Monday issued an appeal on behalf of civilians, amid fears of a looming bloodbath in Aleppo.

"I urge the parties to protect civilians and respect their obligations under international humanitarian law. Civilians must not be subjected to shelling and use of heavy weapons," he said.

A Syrian rebel group, meanwhile, which has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping of 48 Iranians in Damascus said three of its hostages were killed in shelling by government troops on Monday.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

  • Project NOAH exec receives recognition
    Project NOAH exec receives recognition

    Project NOAH executive director and University of the Philippines professor Mahar Lagmay recently received recognition from the European Geosciences Union (EGU) for his work in disaster risk reduction and mitigation in the Philippines. …

  • Nightclub ban for US troops
    Nightclub ban for US troops

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said yesterday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipino he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow the 10-day annual military exercises, according to Capt. Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow
    US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening  defense alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China’s increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Palace defends legal tack in sea row
    Palace defends legal tack in sea row

    There is nothing weak about taking the legal and diplomatic approach to push for the country’s claims in the disputed West Philippine Sea, Malacañang maintained yesterday. On Friday, Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares led a rally in front of the Chinese consulate in Makati City to protest China’s massive reclamation activities in the Spratly island group to fortify its presence in the disputed waters. Colmenares also criticized the Philippine government for supposedly not doing enough to defend …

  • Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death
    Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death

    The sons of Mary Jane Veloso, who is facing execution in Indonesia for drug smuggling, yesterday appealed to government officials to do everything to spare their mother from death. “We love you,” Mark Daniel, 12, said when asked for a message for his mother following a press conference at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. Mark Daniel, an incoming Grade 8 student, reiterated his appeal to those in power to help save his mother from death. His younger brother, …

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options