Deadly unrest fuels suspicion on eve of Syria vote

Syria's authorities and the opposition traded accusations Sunday over who was behind blasts that rocked Damascus and Aleppo, on the eve of parliamentary polls designed to boost the regime's legitimacy.

Overnight violence in Damascus province killed three people and six others died on Sunday, a rights watchdog said, as authorities made final preparations for a vote they say is crucial for building "the new Syria" but which the opposition has already dismissed as a "farce."

Five government troops, including an officer, were also killed in clashes with rebels in the southern Daraa province, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported.

Information Minister Adnan Mahmud said that voting on Monday was an act of defiance.

"By taking part in the election, Syrians are defying the campaign of terrorism and aggression led by international and regional parties implicated in a terrorist war against our country," he said.

The opposition blamed the regime for two bomb blasts Saturday in Damascus and one in Aleppo, where the Observatory said at least five people were killed when an explosion hit a car wash as a bus was passing by.

"It is the regime that caused these mysterious explosions," said Omar Idlib, spokesman for the Local Coordination Committees (LCC) which organises protests. He also called for an international probe.

State media said a 10-year-old boy was among three people killed in the Aleppo blasts and blamed "terrorists" linked to the opposition for carrying out Saturday's attacks in a bid to sow instability ahead of the vote.

On Sunday three people, including an army deserter, were killed in the central flashpoint city of Homs by gunfire, while a fourth man was shot dead during a raid in a Damascus neighbourhood, the Observatory said.

A civilian and an army deserter were also killed in Idlib province, while in the same region six bodies were found in a mass grave, the watchdog added.

Overnight a young man was gunned down by regime troops in the town of Al-Tal, while an explosion killed two in Daf al-Shouk area, also in Damascus province, the Britain-based Observatory said.

The young man's funeral in Al-Tal turned into an angry anti-regime protest with thousands taking to the streets demanding the ouster of President Bashar al-Assad, the group said.

Also on Sunday, UN observers in Syria to monitor a tenuous ceasefire in place since April 12 visited Zabadani in the Damascus province where they met opposition activists, LCC activist Fares Mohammad told AFP.

The army, meanwhile, pursued its attacks on rebel positions and shelled the village of Arida in Homs province, wounding several people and destroying some homes, the Observatory said.

Troops also carried out raids and made arrests in the town of Al-Quriya in the eastern province of Deir Ezzor.

Monday's vote, against a backdrop of unrest which the Observatory says has killed more than 11,000 people since March last year, will do little to change the autocratic country, according to regime critics and analysts.

The vote, initially scheduled for September 2011, was postponed to May 7 this year after Assad announced the launch of a reform process.

Bashar al-Haraki, a member of the Syrian National Council, the principal opposition coalition, has labelled the elections a "farce which can be added to the regime's masquerade."

Shadi Hamid, director of research at the Brookings Doha Centre, told AFP the elections were "cosmetic" and "no one in the international community takes these elections seriously."

Washington has described them as "ridiculous."

Security and logistical concerns notwithstanding, the credibility of the vote has also been hit by the refusal of the main opposition forces to participate.

Monday's election will be the first time Syria has held multi-party elections since the adoption in February by referendum of a new constitution that ended the five-decade stranglehold on power of the ruling Baath party.

Nine parties have been created, and seven have candidates vying for a parliamentary seat. Pro-regime parties led by the Baath are represented under a coalition called the National Progressive Front.

A total of 7,195 candidates have registered to stand for the 250 seats, state news agency SANA said.

But experts believe little will change politically in Syria, where a tenuous UN-backed ceasefire has failed to take hold.

"The elections are a step in a void and will not lead to any change in the political landscape and security of Syria," Oraib al-Rantawi, director of the Amman-based Al-Quds Centre for Political Studies, told AFP.

Meanwhile on Sunday Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan made a landmark visit to a Syrian refugee camp inside Turkey on Sunday and vowed to keep his country's borders open to refugees fleeing the Syria violence.

"Your victory is not far," Erdogan told the crowds at the Kilis camp, home to some 10,000 of the 23,000 Syrians who have sought refuge in Turkey.

"Bashar is losing blood each passing day," he said of the Syrian president. "We are on the side of Syrian people but we are never on the side of the Bashar administration."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Lupita Nyong'o's $150,000 Oscars dress stolen from hotel
    Lupita Nyong'o's $150,000 Oscars dress stolen from hotel

    The $150,000 pearl-studded, custom-made Calvin Klein dress worn by Oscar-winning actress Lupita Nyong'o at this year's Academy Awards has been stolen, police said on Thursday. The gown, embellished with 6,000 natural white pearls, was stolen from Nyong'o's room at the London Hotel in West Hollywood, during the day on Wednesday, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department in West Hollywood said. "Ms Nyong'o was not in the room at the time of the theft," Deputy John Mitchell …

  • South Korea decriminalises adultery, condom shares soar
    South Korea decriminalises adultery, condom shares soar

    South Korea's Constitutional Court on Thursday struck down a controversial adultery law which for more than 60 years had criminalised extra-marital sex and jailed violators for up to two years. The decision saw shares in the South Korean firm Unidus Corp., one of the world's largest condom manufacturers, soar by the daily limit of 15 percent on the local stock exchange. "Even if adultery should be condemned as immoral, state power should not intervene in individuals' private lives," said …

  • National Geographic 'Afghan girl' in Pakistan papers probe
    National Geographic 'Afghan girl' in Pakistan papers probe

    Pakistani officials are investigating after the famous green-eyed "Afghan girl" immortalised in a 1985 National Geographic magazine cover was found living in the country on fraudulent identity papers. The haunting image of the then 12-year-old Sharbat Gula, taken in a refugee camp by photographer Steve McCurry, became the most famous cover image in the magazine's history. Now Pakistani officials say that Gula applied for a Pakistani identity card in the northwestern city of Peshawar in April …

  • U.S. flies most advanced surveillance plane from Philippines

    By Manuel Mogato MANILA (Reuters) - The United States has begun flying its most advanced surveillance aircraft, the P-8A Poseidon, out of the Philippines for patrols over the South China Sea, the U.S. Navy said on Thursday, acknowledging the flights for the first time. The United States, the Philippines' oldest and closest ally, has promised to share "real time" information on what is happening in Philippine waters as China steps up its activities in the South China Sea. China claims most of …

  • US-led strikes on IS after group seizes 220 Christians
    US-led strikes on IS after group seizes 220 Christians

    The US-led coalition has carried out air strikes against the Islamic State group in northeastern Syria, where the jihadists have launched a new offensive and kidnapped 220 Assyrian Christians. The raids on Thursday struck areas around the town of Tal Tamr in Hasakeh province, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said, without giving information on possible casualties. The town remains under the control of Kurdish forces, but at least 10 surrounding villages have been seized by IS, along …

  • ‘Noy angered by previous SAF failures to get Marwan’
    ‘Noy angered by previous SAF failures to get Marwan’

    Supt. Raymund Train, who led the SAF team that killed Marwan in Mamasapano, Maguindanao on Jan. 25, recounted in a sworn statement the meeting he and senior SAF officers had with Aquino in Malacañang on Nov. 30. Train said among the senior officers who attended the meeting were then PNP chief Director General Alan Purisima, SAF chief Director Getulio Napeñas, SAF deputy commander Chief Supt. Noli Taliño and intelligence group chief Senior Supt. Fernando Mendez. …

  • Militants abduct more Christians, smash ancient artifacts
    Militants abduct more Christians, smash ancient artifacts

    BEIRUT (AP) — Islamic State militants seized more Christians from their homes in northeastern Syria in the past three days, bringing the total number abducted by the extremist group to over 220, activists said Thursday. …

  • IS executioner 'Jihadi John' named as London graduate
    IS executioner 'Jihadi John' named as London graduate

    "Jihadi John", the masked Islamic State group militant believed responsible for beheading of at least five Western hostages, has been named as Kuwaiti-born computing graduate Mohammed Emwazi from London. "Jihadi John", nicknamed after Beatle John Lennon due to his British accent, is believed to be responsible for the murders of US journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff, British aid workers David Haines and Alan Henning and American aid worker Abdul-Rahman Kassig. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options