Talisay police investigating ‘kidnapping reports’

·2 min read

POLICE in Talisay City, Cebu are still checking on reports about alleged kidnapping after Mayor Gerald Anthony “Samsam” Gullas ordered them Thursday, August 25, to conduct an investigation on the matter.

Gullas, in a Facebook post Thursday, said he received several messages from netizens concerning reports on alleged attempted kidnapping incidents in the city, particularly in Barangays Biasong and Cansojong.

“Though we have yet to verify if these reports are true or not, I have ordered our police chief, Lieutenant Colonel Randy Caballes, to conduct an investigation and determine their veracity,” he said.

Gullas said the reports have really affected the peace of mind of many Cebuanos. “Nahitabo pa gyud ni sa dihang nibalik nata sa face-to-face classes niadtong pag Lunes. But on the safe side, I am asking our local police to verify it.”

Caballes, in an interview with SunStar Cebu, said their investigation is ongoing. He said they received information about the alleged kidnapping attempt in Barangay Biasong, and based on their investigation, the information came from a student.

"Right now, ang atong investigators naa sa ground and were able to interview five individuals nga naa gyud didto sa area during that incident, then naa sad ta CCTV sad, kuhaon na nato ang copy," said Caballes.

He said they could not conclude yet whether the incident in Barangay Biasong was an attempted kidnapping.

"Basi sa ato information nga na receive, katong driver sa van ninaog, unya katong estudiyante gipangutana kon mouli na ba siya, then human ug estorya, niuli na dayon ang estudiyante," said Caballes.

He added that the driver of the van, after asking the student if he was already going home, even stopped to eat “balut” (a fertilized duck egg boiled and eaten in the shell).

Caballes said they are also tracing the source of the report on alleged kidnapping in Barangay Cansojong, so they can summon the person to the police station for questioning.

He added that based on their initial probe, the person who posted the information on social media was onboard his motorcycle when he passed by two women who suddenly shouted.

"But not sure if it is a case of kidnapping, or naa ray kaaway ang babaye. Basta gi post lang dayon. Dili gyud nato maconfirm nga kidnapping or abduction but still atong imbestigahan," said Caballes.

The police are also looking at the two women to find out what really happened.

"Our investigators are now studying on this matter kon unsay atong mga legal actions," Caballes added.

The Talisay police appealed to the public to not post unverified reports on social media so as not to cause panic. (BBT/LMY)